Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2010, 7:59 PM   #1

Default T1i or T2i body, advice needed.

Hi everyone. I am looking to get a new camera. I currently have a 40D and am looking for something a little bit smaller, though I do not think I want a p&s as I have grown to really love a camera that has some meat on it. I am looking for something that is decent in low light, pretty zippy, and also has video. I have been thinking about the T1i body or the T2i body. The T2i offers more megapixels and higher def video as well as a place for an external mic, and while all that is cool, I don't know if I really need all of it.

I will not be getting the kit lens, as I already have the 28-135 that came w/ the 40D, though I am interested in finding a couple of more lenses, possibly the 10-22mm and maybe the 17-105mm?, then the 50mm is supposed to be good as well as ugh, there are too many, and this is where I become overwhelmed.

Anyway, is there a big photo quality difference between the T1i and T2i? I can get the T1i body for about 600 while the T2i body is running about 799.
What I would really love is the 7D, though that is definately not smaller than the 40D and probably overkill for someone like me. I really need to slow down and step back. This probably reads in part as though I am on speed.

Thoughts, advice and sedatives welcome

Thank you
GeezLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2010, 8:04 PM   #2

Since video is a big thing for you, get the t2i, and you want an external mic. If you try to focus the camera while video, you will hear the USM motor moving. Also the t2i shots at 24fps vs 20fps with the T1i in 1080p. Photo quality, they are pretty much the same.

With the lens thing, you will want to only get usm lenses if you plan on video. As the mic will pick up the louder AF for say the 50mm 1.8
Old May 19, 2010, 8:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I think taking a step back and really looking at your priorities is going to be key.

I have the T1i and the 7D along with a selection of other dSLRs and some P&S cameras. Starting with the video side, you really don't want to be doing AF with a dSLR apart from I believe the Sony range with the special AF system they have.

I think in your situation it is worth considering an Olympus EPL1, shorturtle has one and surprised that it wasn't mentioned. Although I don't think you have 1080p for video, but what you gain is good AF in video when compared to a dSLR. There are also the new Sony cameras just launched but probably push the price quite high.

If you are going the Canon route then I wouldn't want to be without the manual option for video found on the T2i, I don't use my T1i for video much but rather turn to the 7D or 5DmkII so I can get the shall DOF shots allowing me to be more creative.

For photos, as mentioned there isn't too much to choose between the two Canons but you will be losing a bit in motor drive speed if you were into shooting sports compared to your 40D. The viewfinder isn't as good either on the smaller Canons so might be worth having a play before spending any money.
Old May 19, 2010, 8:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Since video is a big thing for you, get the t2i, and you want an external mic. If you try to focus the camera while video, you will hear the USM motor moving. Also the t2i shots at 24fps vs 20fps with the T1i in 1080p. Photo quality, they are pretty much the same.

With the lens thing, you will want to only get usm lenses if you plan on video. As the mic will pick up the louder AF for say the 50mm 1.8

Thank you so much for your response. I tend to get ahead of myself, just excited I guess. You brought up something about the lenses that I would never have thought of and I appreciate it. I need to learn so much about lenses. Do you have any other suggestions on a good walking around lens?

I do have a fear though that my computer will not be able to handle the video at the highest resolution, I have a mac, and while I do have a couple of laptops in my family that are available to me, I prefer my comp. Do you know if this may be a problem?

My 40D only has the 10 megapixels, will jumping to 18 make the photo's noisy (not sure if that is the correct term)?

Again, thank you.

(I will have to go on a list to wait for the T2i, is seems all the places I looked are all sold out)
Old May 19, 2010, 9:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I think taking a step back and really looking at your priorities is going to be key.

I have the T1i and the 7D along with a selection of other dSLRs and some P&S cameras. Starting with the video side, you really don't want to be doing AF with a dSLR apart from I believe the Sony range with the special AF system they have.

I think in your situation it is worth considering an Olympus EPL1, shorturtle has one and surprised that it wasn't mentioned. Although I don't think you have 1080p for video, but what you gain is good AF in video when compared to a dSLR. There are also the new Sony cameras just launched but probably push the price quite high.

If you are going the Canon route then I wouldn't want to be without the manual option for video found on the T2i, I don't use my T1i for video much but rather turn to the 7D or 5DmkII so I can get the shall DOF shots allowing me to be more creative.

For photos, as mentioned there isn't too much to choose between the two Canons but you will be losing a bit in motor drive speed if you were into shooting sports compared to your 40D. The viewfinder isn't as good either on the smaller Canons so might be worth having a play before spending any money.
Mark, thank you so much for your thoughts. You are correct about stepping back. Let's see, I love the 7D and I keep drifting back to it, but in reality, it is probably overkill. I am just a mom who loves to take pictures of her kids, her dogs, outside, inside, people, streets, houses, the ocean, pretty much anything and everything. I am definately not a professional or semi professional, not really even all that good, I just simply love taking photographs, it's such a beautiful thing...such a powerful form of expression.

I probably look ridiculous to some neighbors when I use my 40D to take pictures of my dog and my inlaws think I am nuts when I am wearing it just incase I need to take a picture

In reality I probably would be fine with a camera not so ambitious, and much of my desire for the 7D is emotional and not out of need. So much of it and my 40D bring me back to my father when I was younger and he would have his camera with him, so I guess a big part is just sentimental, not to mention I like the feel of the camera, there is a intimacy of sorts and i feel involved with the whole thing. Not sure if this is making sense or not....hope so. I think you are right though, I should handle the cameras first, because where I am very tactile, it will definately matter how it feels, so I will check out the T2i and hold it.

I will also check out the other camera you mentioned. I have a mac and have not paid too much attention to Sony as I have read many people have a hard time with their compatibility.

So I will take a deep breath now, check some stuff out, put the 7D on my wish list for the future and get something that will be what I need now.

Thank you again very much!
Old May 19, 2010, 9:12 PM   #6

There is another issue to consider, vis--vis the T1i vs. the T2i.

The T1i has a 15MP image sensor, while the T2i has 18MP. That gives the T2i a smaller pixel pitch, so diffraction happens at smaller apertures. The Diffraction Limited f-stop of the T1i is f/15.1, while it's f/13.8 on the T2i (and the 7D, btw.) That means, as the aperture gets smaller than that, the image loses sharpness. If all your lenses have large apertures, that's not much of an issue. But it seems that your lenses have maximum apertures as small as f/5.6, so with a T2i, you'd get to the diffraction limited f-stop pretty quickly. And while the lenses you've got, and are talking about, are very good, they're not great (or very fast) and the T2i is likely to make their minor flaws more apparent.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There is another issue to consider, vis--vis the T1i vs. the T2i.

The T1i has a 15MP image sensor, while the T2i has 18MP. That gives the T2i a smaller pixel pitch, so diffraction happens at smaller apertures. The Diffraction Limited f-stop of the T1i is f/15.1, while it's f/13.8 on the T2i (and the 7D, btw.) That means, as the aperture gets smaller than that, the image loses sharpness. If all your lenses have large apertures, that's not much of an issue. But it seems that your lenses have maximum apertures as small as f/5.6, so with a T2i, you'd get to the diffraction limited f-stop pretty quickly. And while the lenses you've got, and are talking about, are very good, they're not great (or very fast) and the T2i is likely to make their minor flaws more apparent.
Hi, thank you! These are very important things you bring up and exactly why I am so happy that I found this place. I have alot more research to do! I need to learn so much.
Thank you again for your response.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:40 PM   #8

I have the 28-135 IS USM and it is pretty quite. So when I was testing the HD of the T1i. I notice that it was allot more quite then the kit lens of the 18-55 or the 50 1.8. The 28-135 is my walk around lens, but if you like landscape, it is a little tight on the short end. But it does a nice job with hd imho.

I have a macbook pro. And it imovie have no issue with the 20fps of the T1i.

The 15mp and 18mp of canon deals with the noise pretty well. I shoot my t1i at 3200 and 6400 a decent amount of times, 3200 is pretty clean, 6400 is a little noise but workable. 12800 is noisy and a good de noise program will help out there.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9

I have the T2i and the 28-135 is my walk around lens. I don't have any objections to the noise. I wish it was a lower F number lens, but it is a lot cheaper than the alternative (24-135 F4)
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote