Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2010, 1:06 AM   #1
atx

Default Sony DSC-TX5 vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2/FT2?

Right now I'm leaning slightly towards the Sony TX5, but that could easily change. It seems like both cameras have features I'm looking for:

Sony TX5
-slim, aesthetically pleasing design
-marginally better image quality
-videos recorded in .mp4 format (easier to work with)

Panasonic TS2/FT2
-can go up to 10m deep
-much better video quality (based on what I've seen on YouTube)
-still good image quality

So from what I know about both cameras, it seems to come down to aesthetics/size and video format vs. underwater versatility. Would anyone disagree?

I like the TS2 because I'll be going to Europe this summer (graduation trip) and will spend several days on the beach and will snorkel/dive for a few days. However, after this summer, I'll be stuck in an office for long hours (starting my full-time job), and I doubt I'll have any time to go diving. My camera will primarily be used for general picture-taking purposes: on the street, at night with friends in dimly-lit areas like clubs and bars, etc.

With this in mind, would the TX5 be the better option? The general consensus seems to be that the Sony TX5 produces better quality images than the Lumix TS2. However, if my focus was strictly on the quality of the photos, wouldn't it be wiser to spend the $330 on a better non-waterproof camera or spend less money on a camera with the same attributes (minus the water resistance).

I think the TX5 would be more useful since I most likely will not be going on dives in the near future after this summer (but if I did, it would be 2-3 years from now, and I could probably just upgrade), but I'd hate to have the perfect photo opportunity with some massive octopus/shark/turtle and not be able to take advantage of it because the camera wouldn't allow for it.

A few notes about me as a photographer:
-no plans on blowing any pictures up or printing out the pictures,
-I'll be uploading them on Facebook and other photo sites like Picasa,
-I'd prefer not to enhance the images using Photoshop (unless there's a very quick way to automatically do this),
-not incredibly picky about super high quality images, but I cannot stand blurry images,
-I hate double flashes because they fake me out (what purpose do they serve?)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I leave the country the first week of June, so I'll have to make this purchase by the end of this week (could wait longer, but I don't want to pay for shipping).
atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2010, 1:31 AM   #2

To be honest, the image quality are about the same. As they both have small ccd sensors. Both use good glass. Most of the samples I see on flickr are post production edited. And your skill with picasa will greatly affect how good your photos look.

You really can not go wrong with either.

Water proof is nice, not just for snorkeling. If it rains you do not need to worry about keeping it dry. Just shoot away.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:49 AM   #3
atx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
To be honest, the image quality are about the same. As they both have small ccd sensors. Both use good glass. Most of the samples I see on flickr are post production edited. And your skill with picasa will greatly affect how good your photos look.

You really can not go wrong with either.

Water proof is nice, not just for snorkeling. If it rains you do not need to worry about keeping it dry. Just shoot away.
Thanks for the feedback. Could you expand on why snorkeling wouldn't be a good idea? I thought that (being able to take it underwater) was one of the main attractions, especially for the Lumix TS2/FT2.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with Picasa. Is it as robust as Photoshop (does it take a long time to understand how to effectively use it)? I'm willing to put in some time to learn the basics, but since my photos will be going up on Facebook (and occasionally my blog), there's no need for great post-production editing. That could all change, of course.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:53 AM   #4

It will be find for snorkeling, I meant to say beside just snorkeling having a waterproofing is also good for when it rains, and you want to take a photo. No worries.

Photoshop is better, that is why it is not free, picasa is a free editor that does a decent job. I use a mac, so I use aperture for my editing. But my brother just got into photography. And he is using picasa for now. Till he getting better with the camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 2:00 AM   #5
atx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It will be find for snorkeling, I meant to say beside just snorkeling having a waterproofing is also good for when it rains, and you want to take a photo. No worries.

Photoshop is better, that is why it is not free, picasa is a free editor that does a decent job. I use a mac, so I use aperture for my editing. But my brother just go into photography. And he is using picasa for now. Till he getting better with the camera.
Misread your post:

not just for snorkeling (what you wrote) ≠ just not for snorkeling (what I read)

Just downloaded Picasa. The layout looks exactly like iPhoto (I also use a Mac), but I don't know how the functionality compares since the only thing I've ever really done with my photos has been cropping. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot. Thanks once again for the feedback!
Old May 20, 2010, 2:06 AM   #6

Iphoto the lastest verison, has a 1 click enhance also. It does a decent no thinking edit. But picasa had a bit more editing options.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:18 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It's a tough one as I pointed out in the PM you sent me. I went for the Panasonic due to extra depth and I shoot a lot of video (forgot to mention that in the PM). My problem is I'm a gadget freak so the Sony really did appeal to me.

As shoturtle says both will be great, and possibly the Sony is a little better in normal shooting conditions for your specified needs for displaying them it will be hardly noticeable. I would get and play with them and see which you like best in the hand, some find the Sony a little small, and base your choice on that.

You are right that you can get a better photographic tool if you don't go for the waterproof, however, you lose the ability to shoot in certain conditions so really it is deciding if the waterproof side is worth enough to sacrifice a bit of quality...... however, compared to earlier waterproof cameras these do quite a lot better and are more similar to 'normal' cameras.
Old May 20, 2010, 4:28 AM   #8

I would also suggest if you are heading to a store to try them out, take a memory card with you. Snap some photos with both camera, go home and see which one is more appealing to you taste. Everyones eyes is difference.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9
atx

Really appreciate the feedback. I'm calling around to see if any stores have the cameras. I'm pretty set on getting the Sony TX5, but I guess it never hurts to try them out in person to see if there's anything that will be a huge annoyance or possible deal breaker.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:46 PM   #10

yup that is always a good idea to play with it to see if it's ergos work for you