Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11

I did look at them Jim, I just would like to see it in really dark settings. The mannequin is still in lighting higher then I shoot in.

I decided to add a FF camera to my tool kit next year when the 5DMKIII comes out with what ever sensor up grade it gets. 12800 looks okay with the sony, but it is still not where you want to shoot at, but good in a pinch. It looks to be a very good sensor. Hope pentax keeps using sony sensors over samsung sensors in the dslr. They are a quality product.
Old May 20, 2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Administrator

They've got samples in lower lighting (see the pages I posted links to), showing photos at lower and lower lighting levels in some of the tests (but, still properly exposed, by using slower shutter speeds as lighting gets lower). You'll see the same types of samples in various lighting levels for other camera they've tested.

But, buy a Nikon D3s if you want the best available camera for low light shooting.

Nothing else is in the same league.

Of course, it's not exactly small and light. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 12:55 PM   #13

The 50DMKIII will be better then the current 5D in low light, they always get better with the next generation. Who know canon may surprise people and make the next FF 25600iso.

But no D3s is way to big. I have a EOS1 and the winder. Way to large after going to a smaller body like the T1i. 5D is not to large, unlike the 1dMKIV that Hards suggest with the high burst rate for my dance shots and good iso performance.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:04 PM   #14
Administrator

That depends on what you want. If you want better photos at very high ISO speeds, you'll want to put up with the size, weight and cost of the D3s. ;-)

But, in reality, I do remember browsing through your dance photos thread, and it looked like you were using very high ISO speeds for no good reason (IOW, you could have used much lower ISO speeds and let the flash freeze the action, since you were using a flash anyway for the later shots in that thread). Perhaps I should have commented in it.

As long as you're exposing so that the light from ambient light is 2 to 3 stops down from what's needed for proper exposure (even if you're using *very* slow shutter speeds), the flash can freeze the action (since a typical flash burst length is going to be 1/1000 second or faster and the subjects would only be properly exposed during the short flash burst length).

I've got dancing photos taken at 1/15 second shutter speeds with the action frozen with flash. If the flash is providing most of the light (so that the subject would be a few stops underexposed without the flash using the same settings), freezing action is no big deal.

The hard part is balancing ambient light and light from the flash (so that the backgrounds are not as dark as compared to closer subjects lit by the flash) since you can't use too much light from the flash for closer subjects (otherwise they'd be overexposed if you were trying to light up the background with flash, especially since you had no way to bounce the flash in the conditions you were shooting in).
Old May 20, 2010, 1:08 PM   #15

They only let me Flash for about 15 min, then they want me to stop in the clubs. The outdoor was my attempt to use direct flash which I never used in the past, I always bounce. I do not shoot outdoor night dance to often.

So high iso is what I really need for the clubs over flashes.
Old May 20, 2010, 1:10 PM   #16
Administrator

Nikon D3s. ;-)
Old May 20, 2010, 1:11 PM   #17

Nah, to large of a camera. 5D is the size of the 7d, that is large enough