Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:27 AM   #11

Hardy-

The HX5 and the H-55 share the very same body. However, the HX5 uses a backlit 10mp CMOS imager, and the H-55 uses a conventional 14mp CCD. The lens is the same on both cameras.

The H-55 has enjoyed moderate success. The H-55 has most of the HX5's features including , hand held panorama, and twilight mode. Quite honestly, if this was going to be my one and only camera, I would not purchase the H-55. Simply stated: it is not that great a camera. You would be better served by a Panasonic TZ-10 or its siblings.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 2:17 PM   #12

I can't really comment on it except to say I believe it is an older model. It can be had for about $230 USD.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 3:30 PM   #13

Actually the Sony HX5 and the H-55 were released at the very same time, thus making the H-55 a current model camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:30 PM   #14

ah ok. I thought it was half a generation behind. (a season)
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:28 AM   #15

Sarah and FiveO... thanks for the replies...

Ok just went to the Panasonic shop again and clicked few pics(ZS3/TZ10) and got it in my PC.The outdoor pics seems to be good but I was not at all impressed with the indoors.I clicked few pics inside the store(well lit) but the pics seems to be just ordinary and the flash seems to be too weak.I used iA and normal mode.

Now once again if the price was about $200 it would have other thing but the price is $510 and that too after $20 discount.

I need a cam which performs good in all the conditions just like DSC-W5. Now I have given it for repair and they say it needs a lens replacement which would cost about $120.

So now 2 questions in mind... whether I should pay $120 and get it done and then find a new cam? Would the cam be reliable after lens change?
hardy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:54 AM   #16

Hardy-

Of course I could be wrong, and I have not seen any sample photos. Please post some sample photos, when you can. However, I would sincerely doubt that the lens is the problem. All of the ZS series cameras have a very weak built-in flash unit. I use an accessory Slave Flash myself with my ZS camera to provide more light for indoor photos. The Slave Flash that I use is inexpensive, here in the USA. It cost $15.00.

I doubt that the average camera repair person could change a lens as very large, expensive (over $15,000), and precise calibration tools are required to properly make a lens change.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:46 PM   #17

You're right hardy, the low light ability of the ZS series is poor. Your old W5 had a much larger sensor (1/1.8") which is why the indoor performance was better. You should check out the Panasonic LX3, Panasonic LX5 (coming soon), Canon S90 or Samsung EX1 if you want the same or better performance in low light.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18

Sarah...

I gave my cam to SONY authorized repair center so I hope they must be having proper equipment and people. So would it be wise to shell out $120 and get it repaired and then buy more time looking for a good cam ?
(2 travel plans got cancelled and no travel in near future)

Also it's original lens was made in Japan and now they(SONY) say that they can't say if the new lens would be made in Japan or China. So does it matter where the part was made in terms of Quality ?

FiveO...
I have thought of S-90 but it also has a price of about $560
Which other cams of Canon you suggest except S90, here is the Canon India site :-
http://www.canon.co.in/compare/produ...3=1204&lang=EN

I know I am asking many questions but in India situation is different:-

1. Some of the the latest cams launched in US are not available here even after many months. For example SONY HX5V.

2. I have noticed in forums that people in US can buy a cam/product and return it if they didn't like it. No such luxury here, if we buy it we can't return it saying 'Oh I didn't like it,please keep it'.

3. Even after the cam is launched for more than a year in US (perhaps thats the duration it takes coming to India) price in India is roughly double. For example ZS3 was launched 1 year before in US and it's current price there is like $250, but in here it's about $510.

Also cams seems to be going too costly, I think any good cam should cost about $250-300 but here it's like $500.

I got my DSC-W5 about 5 years ago(when the digicams were new in the market here) and it cost me about $350+$54(card) and it was still great until somone dropped it right on it's lens. So perhaps it should cost lesser now as there is mass production and everyone seems to be having cam these days.

So I am basically looking for something like W5 with added new technology things like Image Stabilizer, better Zoom, Night Shots etc which are common in cams today at about $350.
hardy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy113 View Post
... So would it be wise to shell out $120 and get it repaired and then buy more time looking for a good cam ?
I make my decisions with regards to repairs based on several factors:

1. How expensive the broken equipment is vs. how much it will cost me to have it repaired. If the broken camera is cheap, don't fix it. If it's very expensive, get it fixed. If it's in the middle and the delta is over 25%, I'd most likely not have it fixed.

2. Does the broken equipment offer features I must have but can't be found on any new equipment? If so, having it fix may be worth it.

3. Is there a comparable (and affordable) replacement model I can buy (assuming you broken camera does not offer anything out of the ordinary)? If so, that would certainly be a better option.

For the most part, I'm against repairs. If they were good, manufacturers would give 1 yr warranty on the job instead of the 30-day or 90-day they give. A lot of times, they fix one thing at the expense of something else (although they will never, ever admit they caused problems that weren't there before).

Since I don't know how much you pay for new equipment where you live, it's hard for me to tell you do this or that but I'd certainly be inclined to go for a new camera rather than making an investment on an old model. Use the $120 toward a replacement camera and have peace of mind for at least a year.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:06 PM   #20

Hardy-

As I read your post, you have made the decision to repair the W-5. Will the Sony Authorized Repair Station provide any warranty on their repair? That may be your best choice, excepting for the Canon S-90.

Sarah Joyce