Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:40 AM   #21

Tullio and Sarah...

Thanks for your valuable insights regarding repair.You have made very valid points.

I am at Delhi the Indian Capital so it has one of the best facilities available in India.I have given the cam for repair to SONY and they notified me about the issue and cost and told me that if I want to get it repaired I need to submit half the amount in advance ie. $60 and if not then I have to shell out only $3 as checking cost.

Now about warranty... SONY says they would give a 2 month 'service' warranty but no warranty would be given on the parts including Lens.Though they say normally Lens won't give any problem. Now this didn't encourage me at all.

Also it was repaired 2 times(without lens change) and it cost me $45.After the first repair it worked fine for some weeks but gave problems when I was at a nice hilly tour and I was very as it almost spoiled my travel which seems to come scarce these days.

So I have put the decision on hold and need expert views from people like you though I am also not in favour of getting it repaired. I know that after repairs the reliability declines and I agree that a new cam would be the best option.

btw I just saw travel pics(SONY W-220) of a friend at office. I have asked him to bring the cam so that I can get my hands on it for investigation.It seems to be having sharp pics.

Also I might go to Canon and SONY(different one) showroom again.
hardy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:51 AM   #22

Hardy-

Now this is just my opinion. However, it is my opinion that Sony has declined somewhat in their quality standards in the last several years. Both Tullio and I have owned and used Sony H-1 and R-1 cameras and they were very well built. I do not believe that Sony's current cameras are quite as good as they used to be.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:07 AM   #23

Hardy-

Here is a pretty comprehensive review of ther Sony W-220:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W220/W220A.HTM

It looks to be a pretty good camera and depending on its price in India, might be a good alternative choice to having the W-5 or is it a W-7 repaired.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy113 View Post
Also it was repaired 2 times(without lens change) and it cost me $45.After the first repair it worked fine for some weeks but gave problems when I was at a nice hilly tour and I was very as it almost spoiled my travel which seems to come scarce these days....
That's you answer right there...why do you keep investing on a camera that obviously has problems? At this point, I don't care whether the camera is good or not. Get rid of it and put the money towards a new one. Period.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy113 View Post
2. I have noticed in forums that people in US can buy a cam/product and return it if they didn't like it. No such luxury here, if we buy it we can't return it saying 'Oh I didn't like it,please keep it'.
It's not too common here either but a few of the big companies do it, such as Amazon and B&H Photo. Most shops charge a 15% restocking fee to return electronics which can add up quick if you are trying out $400 cameras. It is indeed a luxury and one I am thankful for.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:09 PM   #26

Hello Hardy . I m from india and belongs to hyderabad. Let me tell u panasonic brands in india are very very costly compare to U.S market .That is the only reason panasonic is not successful in india .. where sony is having approximately 40 percent market share in point and shoot camera .. they are leader in india and sony service which i found in india it is far good compare to anyone...
Now comes to your camera selection u r having Sony w5 which is having large sensor and performs very well in low light condition ..

Now the low light point and shoot performers are canon G11 ,canon S90,canon SD4000 ,samsung TL500 and panasonic LX3...each brands in india is more than 23 thousand ...which is heavy investment...

And Sony HX5v which u have mentioned under the budget is excellent camera but unfortunately it is not available in india now ...and my suggestion is there not to spend 6000rs for w5 repair yaar ....

U just wait for some months ...Sony is going to launch Sony WX5 camera which is cmos sensor ,12 megapixels ,full 1920x1080 AVCHD video ..3d panaroma ...defocus background ...and the price will be 15000k rupees ..because sony price is same in india and U.S

If really u need a camera urgently and wants excellent result then u have to compromise with camera size ..and the option is Panasonic FZ35 which is available in indian grey market specially in ur case pallika bazar for 16500rs .. which is excellent deal dear ....

But to get the desirable result in low light like Sony W5 ..u have to wait for new cameras like SONY WX5 ,samsung TL350 and Fuji F300exr .. these three cameras will be available in indian market till december end and the price would be 15k ....

Ok let me show u some pic of mine camera which is sony w360 ..i purchased this camera after paying 9000 rs ...i will post u 2 pic which is outdoor and Low light ......

Name:  Grasshopper.jpg
Views: 3513
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  DSC01195_(Large).JPG
Views: 3496
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  DSC01344 (Large).JPG
Views: 3003
Size:  106.3 KB

See my galleries if u want
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/28...otos/slideshow
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:30 PM   #27

snadeepsaman-

Thanks for post some good photos. The output from the Sony W-350 looks good. I think that Hardy's choice of the W-220 is more in line with his camera budget.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
That's you answer right there...why do you keep investing on a camera that obviously has problems? At this point, I don't care whether the camera is good or not. Get rid of it and put the money towards a new one. Period.
Actually I paid $45 only once, SONY repaired second time without any charge.

@sandeepsaman

Ok good to see some fellow Indian dropping by with good insights.I have been to your gallery before.Your pics seems very impressive considering it came from a $195 cam.I think Panasonic is great but I am not impressed with it's indoor performance and it is indeed overpriced here.I don't want to carry one cam for indoor and one for outdoor or any SLR type thing which can't fit in pocket.

Now waiting for WX5 till December seems too far for me, I have already spent 2 months searching for cam . How about WX1?

Both have 5x zoom and LENS seems to be about the same(F2.4/F7.1) . Can anyone see any significant difference between the both?

DSC-WX5

DSC-WX1
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:49 AM   #29

Hello hardy ... thanks for your comments ...

Just two days back i went to hyderabad grey market ...And there is good news for you ....Sony HX5v is available in indian grey market now but not in sony show room ...And the price is 14500rs which is quite reasonable ..and well reputated Pannasonic TZ7 cost is also 14200 rs ..I think these two are wonderful option ..U can choose either one ..Both are excellent cameras ..

And the difference between WX5 and WX1 are AVCHD lite full HDvideo..superior automode .. apart from that nothing special in WX5..
Sony WX1 is a nice camera but if u see some outdoor pics ,they r not sharp ..

Last edited by sandeepsaman; Jul 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM.
sandeepsaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:02 AM   #30

Ok I just went to other SONY this sunday and got my hands on H55,WX1 and W380... unfortunately they were just renovating and couldn't transfer the pics so I may have to go again and fetch it.They also have no idea when HX5V would land here.

So till I get the pics can anyone please suggest which cam(H55,WX1 and W380) would be the best in terms of pic Quality?

@Sandeep
It may be possible that HX5V is available in Delhi grey market(if it's in Hyderabad) but I never purchased any product through this channel.I have heard they don't give reciept,gurantee etc and it's unreliable channel.

What is your experience about the grey market? You have any idea when HX5V may be available in showrooms?