Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2010, 8:23 AM   #1

Default How is SONY DSC-HX5V/B ??

Guys how about SONY DSC-HX5V/B ?

I have checked and seems like a great compact cam with lot of features of SLR's. Anyone has experience with this cam?

I have semi-professional SONY DSC W-5 already for last 5 years but having some problems (as somone dropped it, even after repair it's not reliable)

Also please suggest any other cam of other company(prefer SONY though) in same league with this cam. The features I am looking in my new cam is like below:-

1. Compactness (should fit in pocket unlike SLR's)
2. Quality (same as SLR's)
3. Speed
4. Night Mode
5. Image Stablization
6. Flash range
9. Zoom(5+)
8. Warranty
9. Price(about $350)

Please reply asap as I have to finalize it within a week as my cam is given for repair. I have few travels lined up and want to use my own cam. I used this site for getting my cam 5 years before. I am in India.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hardy113; May 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM.
hardy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 8:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy113 View Post
2. Quality (same as SLR's)...
I think your expectation here is unrealistic. There is no way you can get a compact P&S and expect the quality (I assume you mean image quality) to be the same as DSLRs. No matter what brand or how expensive they are (even the Canon G11, Pana LX3 or Canon S90, which are some of the best P&S in terms of IQ can compare with DSLR quality).

With that said, I recently started looking for a pocket camera with 8x+ to take on our upcoming family vacation along with my G1. Although I have several cameras, I do not have any real compact, practical, easy to carry, camera with good zoom and video. After much reading, I decided to get a Panasonic, either the ZR1 (the newer ZR3 is a downgrade IMO), the ZS5 (stripped down ZS7, which is the top of the line in the segment), the ZS6 (sold at Costco only and also a stripped down ZS7 but not as much as the ZS5) and the ZS7 itself. Foe a while I was considering the Sony HX5 but although many reviews were positive, no one was as enthusiastic with it as they were with the Panas. Other options were the new Ricoh CX3, Fuji F80EXR, Canon SX120 and Nikon S8000 but they all came short in one area or another. I think all of these brands/models are around (or below) your price range. If you want to save about 40% and compromise on the zoom and features, then the ZR1 is probably the best choice. If you want to spend the full $350, then the ZS7 offers the most in terms of IQ and features. I bought the ZS6 from Costco yesterday ($290) because I don't particularly care for GPS, I got some extras (leather case + 2 Gb memory card) and Costco 90-day return policy. That gives me plenty of time to check the camera well and decide whether to keep it or go for something else.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; May 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 2:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I think your expectation here is unrealistic. There is no way you can get a compact P&S and expect the quality (I assume you mean image quality) to be the same as DSLRs. No matter what brand or how expensive they are (even the Canon G11, Pana LX3 or Canon S90, which are some of the best P&S in terms of IQ can compare with DSLR quality).
+1

To answer the rest of your post, there are a number of comparison threads here discussing and comparing the HX5V and the ZS7, which are the 2 leading cameras in their class.
Old May 21, 2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Hardy-

If your size preference dictates a compact zoom class camera, as Five-O mentioned look at the comparisons. Both Five-O and I have done comparison threads.

By way of a short summary, after being positive and hoping for a lot more from the Sony HX-5, I felt very let down in the final analysis. I would counsel you to think twice before selecting the HX-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 9:56 AM   #5

hardy,
Here is a link to the comparison thread that Five-O started...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...omparison.html

I was really looking forward to getting the HX5V, but after reading and looking at comparisons I think I am going to go with the ZS7.
BPHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 10:44 AM   #6

Looking at the photos between the two cameras, I think one of the problems with the HX5 has to do with WB. I'm curious as to how the outdoor images would look like with WB set to Daylight. As is, there is a warm (reddish) cast, which works well on white objects under the shade (more accurate white with little blue cast, typical of photographed white objects in the shade). However, it messes up the sky/clouds/grass end just about everything else. The difference in cloud details on some images between the two cameras is shocking. The HX5 tends to over expose (again, it benefits from it on night shots as it brings out details a bit more but definitely not under bright daylight conditions). If I had the HX5, I'd try a couple of things:

1. Reduce exposure by -0.3
2. Set WB to Daylight when shooting outdoors in bright conditions
3. If the camera offers WB adjustments (which I doubt considering that it does not offer much in terms of controls), I'd increase the blue and reduce the Magenta for auto WB and see the effect it has on the image

After looking at a few outdoor images, I could pinpoint the ZS7 and the HX5 images w/o looking at the tags, so obvious (and consistent) the differences are.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; May 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:17 PM   #7

Hey Guys....

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

After hearing so much about this Panasonic ZS series I paid a visit to my nearest Panasonic brand shop but disappointed to know that they don't have ZS series.They say that this series is not for India... . They gave me a pamphlet which has FS,TZ etc series.I also made an enquiry on another shop but same stuff... they are unaware of this ZS series. Is this series exclusive for US or what?

Now what to do if ZS is not available? How about Canon... S90 or G11?
Also does SONY has anything compared to ZS?
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy113 View Post
After hearing so much about this Panasonic ZS series I paid a visit to my nearest Panasonic brand shop but disappointed to know that they don't have ZS series.They say that this series is not for India... . They gave me a pamphlet which has FS,TZ etc series.I also made an enquiry on another shop but same stuff... they are unaware of this ZS series. Is this series exclusive for US or what?
The ZS series and TZ series are the same. The ZS series is the North American series name. The TZ name is used for the rest of the world. I'm surprised the guy at the camera shop didn't know this.

ZS7 = TZ10 (current top model)
ZS5 = TZ8 (current model)
ZS3 = TZ7 (last year's top model)
ZS1 = TZ6 (last year's model)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:34 PM   #9

hardy-

Canon only has the SX-200 and SX-210 to compete against the Panasonic ZS series. keep in mind as well that the ZS series is just a renamed TZ series which is sold widely in the International market.

The TZ 10 is the same as the ZS7, the TZ-8 is the ZS5, the TZ-7 is the ZS3, and the TZ-6 is the ZS1.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jun 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:36 AM   #10

Ok guys...

Thanks for the clarifications, this is what I was thinking as TZ and ZS were looking exactly the same. I would raid Panasonic shop again but their price seems a bit more than I saw in net.

Anyway... I just went to new SONY brand shop in my area and top of the line cam in P&S they showed me was H55 ( they haven't heard of HX5 ever and no idea when it will land here ) . It has exposure control (-2 to +2 I think)as he showed me(many people here pointed out overexposure issue in SONY) so it can be controlled.

Anyone having this H55? Is it any good? Price is about $325.