Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2010, 6:16 PM   #11

Thanks very much! Perhaps there is a compact in my future :-)
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 6:19 PM   #12

The s90 is an impressive camera. It is the only point and shoot that does decent at 1600iso. And f2.8 really helps out for low light duty. I shoot allot at night, and if I were not shooting a dslr or m4/3, I wanted a compact. I would seriously consider a s90. But I am after shots like this, and only a high iso bright lens camera can do what I need.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...sailboats.html
Old May 22, 2010, 12:10 AM   #13

VWcrusher-

If high ISO capability is important to you, due to their larger imager size the only real choices are either the Canon S-90 or the G-11.

No other cameras in the compact zoom class can compare realistically with the high ISO performance of the S-90 and the G-11. The only other choices would be to consider a DSLR like the Pentax Kx or the Olympus EPL1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 3:55 PM   #14

To stir the pot a bit - today I visited three camera stores in my area and the following cameras were recommended based on the requirements I listed here; the recommendations were the ZS5(once - $250), the Nikon S8000 (once - $270), the ZR3 (once - $300), the Fuji F70EXR (once - $200) and the Fuji F80EXR (twice - $265). The comment made about the Fuji's were that there were very fast in AF and processing, and frankly they were.

Got to say I do not know much at all about Fuji's...

Any thoughts on these cameras?
Old May 24, 2010, 4:36 PM   #15

vwcrusher-

Let's see if we can sort this out. A pocket sized camera with high ISO capability seems to be the top priority.

However, after a dozen (12) posts in this thread where it was very clearly stated by my good friend, Shoturtle, that the Canon S-90 (the only real selection based on your #1 priority)and G-11 cameras, were the only two cameras that due to their larger than normal imagers could handle your requirements.

I guess you figured we didn't know the necessary details, so off you went shopping again. NONE of the cameras that you have listed are suitable based on your detailed writing about your shooting style, except the ZS5.

The Fuji models both require multiple small adjustments before taking every photo. Based on what you have written that will not work for you!

The Nikon S-800 has not received good professional reviews. the most complaints are all about inferior image quality. Based on what you have written, that will not work for you.

The Panasonic ZR3 is not a good buy at $300. The ZR1 available at Amazon for under $200 has just about the same features.

The Panasonic ZS5, is a stripped down version of the ZS7. Be sure you can handle its features and its inability to use high ISO settings above ISO 800.

I think that brings us back to the Canon S-90 once again. Or perhaps the G-11 or a DSLR if you can deal with the less than "pocket size" format.

Do I know what I am talking about? Well, I am a professional digital camera instructor, with 17 years experience, I teach DSLR and P+S cameras, I have written 4 books on digital cameras, I lecture professionally on digital cameras, and I own over 110 digital cameras. So we are not pulling your leg. We sell nothing, so we have no biases, and charge you nothing for our advice.

We are very sincerely trying to help you.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 24, 2010, 5:55 PM   #16

um...wow. Guess I pushed the wrong button. Forgive me for going out and having a bit of fun.....I truly appreciate all the advice and guidance. I certainly will not bother you again.

And for the record, while I may not be current on all there is to know on compact digital cameras, I have been a serious amateur film photographer most probably longer than you have been alive.

Last edited by vwcrusher; May 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:10 PM   #17

vwcrusher-

I offer my my apologies. I was just trying to be helpful, and certainly I do not question your experience. I feel badly that you took it that way. I was attempting to share with you, why a number of the cameras mentioned, might now be a good "fit" for your needs, and I never once mentioned that you were a bother. As you are certainly not.

I have also been in the photo game, actively shooting photos for some 60+ years.
I sincerely hope that you will consider continuing this lively discussion, so that we can together find a camera that really and practically meets your personal needs.

Sarah Joyce