Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2010, 2:16 PM   #1

Default yet one more what camera should I consider

So I am looking to replace my Konica-Minolta A200 with something smaller that can fit in my pocket. Factors that are important to me include (other than the given, image quality, reliability, performance outdoors, etc) are: shot to shot speed, low light performance, enough adjustability for DOF and exposures. I do not care at all about video. I would like to stay below $300 but for the right camera.....

I have been looking at the Canon S90, Panasonic DMC-ZS5 mostly....I am sure there are others.....

thanks in advance for the help.
vwcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 4:33 PM   #2

If you need low light the s90 and the g11 in the point and shoot can shoot okay at 1600iso. But if you need a 12x+ zoom, the zs5 is a very good camera. You may also want to check out costco, they have a detune zs7 for sale. ZS6.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Shoturtle,

12x zoom is not a necessity; I can live with lower....more important is the shot to shot speed and low light...and of course accurate color, etc, etc.

thanks!
Old May 21, 2010, 4:48 PM   #4

shot to shot is not that great with any point and shoot 3fps is about the best out there. But the s90 and the g11 uses the same sensor. And are currently the best low light camera in the point and shoot market mix in a F2 lens it does a decent job at night and indoors.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM. Reason: incorrect aperture
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:57 PM   #5

Hmm, I do agree with your shot to shot comment (of course I want a dSLR in a compact package for $300...LOL)..that being said, how would you compare the strengths and weaknesses of the S90 and zs? and any other compact that may fit my wish list?
Old May 21, 2010, 5:02 PM   #6

one other comment that may affect your recommendations: I am willing to give up some amount of manual control.

tnx
Old May 21, 2010, 5:02 PM   #7

The s90 IQ is better, do to the larger sensor.

But the zs has good hd video, and nice zoom lens.

Both have manual controls. The canon lens is quite good, so is the leica lens that the zs uses. So that will let you set up for longer exposures.

I shoot in low light allot, so if I did not need a long zoom or HD is not a concern, I would go with the s90.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:04 PM   #8

If you are looking to get low light shots like these with a point and shoot, the s90 is the prefer tool

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ht-sample.html
Old May 21, 2010, 5:07 PM   #9

Wow.....very nice! Ok, I am convinced; reasonably good depth of field as well.....any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old May 21, 2010, 5:13 PM   #10

for low light, unless you want to move up to a micro 4/3 or dslr. The G11 or the S90 are my picks for a point and shoot.

If you are willing to take the lower low light and less dof. The zs5 or the zs6 at costco and gain HD and a long zoom.

The sony HX5V is another option. I can give you 10fps for 1 sec, but then ties your camera up for 14 sec as it records to the chip. Low light is not as good as the S90, and the HD video is not as good as the zs5 or zs6.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html