Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Help, Point and Shoot with Good to Great HD Video

Hello,

This is a great forum and glad I found it. I am in need of a point and shoot camera that has sharp picture quality and HD video capture capabilities.

I have a D40 as well, but as you are all aware, if a camera is large it often stays at home. I am looking for a camera for vacations, but also to be able to cut high quality videos for social media via YouTube, Vemio etc.

I have been looking at the Lumix ZS7 and the Sont HX5V. Is this all that is out there?

I am not familier with point and shoots with HD video, as I mostly use my d40, but I know I would shoot a ton more if I had a smaller camera with me daily.

Also for the HD video, I am looking for something that has good audio mics as well, or even better if there is one that has a mic in that would be cool to.

I am looking to order this weekend so I can get it mid-week. Thanks for your suggestions.

Brandon
BPMOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2010, 12:02 AM   #2

The ZS7 and HX5V are the 2 best in their class in terms of video. The HX5V's video is better but the ZS7's is good as well. The sound on the HX5V is horrendous so if sound matters, your decision is an easy one. This is from my comparison thread ...

Here are 2 untouched audio samples. They were recorded within minutes of each other while sitting in my driveway in my car. I simply exported the soundtracks from the respective AVCHD files to MP3. Just click the button that reads: "Download Now with File Factory Basic." There is no need to join anything.

HX5V audio test
ZS7 audio test
Old May 23, 2010, 12:15 AM   #3

Thanks Five-0. I am really wondering if I should maybe get a Kodak ZI8 for video, as it does HD video well, and has a mic line in, should be able to get one for $160 online. And get a good point and shoot sub $200.

If that is the case, I am looking at the Lumix FH20, as the point and shoot. Anyone have any other cameras I should look at?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4

You may also want to look at the canon SX210, it is also a in the high end of the compact point and shoot. But all 3 are good point and shoot cameras.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks Shoturtle. I am thinking that I am just going to go with a point and shoot around $150 and a Kodak Zi8 for HD video as it has an extermal mic input.

Anyone have anything to caution me on before I press order?
Old May 25, 2010, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMOU View Post
Thanks Shoturtle. I am thinking that I am just going to go with a point and shoot around $150 and a Kodak Zi8 for HD video as it has an extermal mic input.

Anyone have anything to caution me on before I press order?
Amazon has it for $154 with free shipping. It's a decent handheld camcorder though I am not sure about the IS on it. None of these will do well indoors of course.

The Panasonic ZR1 looks like a good choice for the P&S. $178 for the red one.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:24 AM   #7

Well, a bit frustrated now. My wife took our D40 to the park today, and when she grabbed the camera bag she didn't latch it and the camera fell out and hit lens first on the ground from about 8 inches up. The body is fine, and it still takes photo's as I put on the other 55-200 lens, now the D40 18-55 kit lens (which I use 90% of the time) will not auto focus at the full 55mm range, it just makes a weird clicking noise, and won't take the picture.

So less then a week and a half, we will be headed out for vacation for 10 days. Was really looking to spend $320 tops on a P&S camera and Zi8. I am now wondering if I should sell the D40 body and use the money to still get the Zi8 and a better point and shoot. My only concern is that most of our pictures of our three year old and our dogs, and family events etc.

If I keep the D40, I won't have the cash to buy a P&S, as I will most likely just get another 18-55 lens, and I will need to lug that monster around the whole trip. I Really need the Zi8 for my youtube videos.

I just feel like I don't shoot a ton of pics now as it is because I have to get the camera bag etc, it's just a pain. If I had a good P&S, I think I would shoot more pictures, but I am not sure if I am going to miss the pictures that I am getting from a DLSR with my little one.

Any thoughts? What a freaking game changer. I need to decide and order by Thursday. Help!

Last edited by BPMOU; May 26, 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: grammer
Old May 26, 2010, 12:43 AM   #8

Well if you want a better P&S, I'll stick with my original answer.

Here are some pics I took today with the ZS7 while hiking.