Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2010, 3:05 AM   #1

Default T1i vs 20D

Yes, I know, the 20D was discontinued, and is way older than the T1i.
That said- I'm looking for an affordable sports camera that can do low light, the 50D is out of my budget- so I thought i'd step down a few models back and see what it's worth.

After reading several reviews and comparisons they seem quite the same, except for the LCD screen and the continuous shooting.

But what about the low light performance and AF speed and accuracy? I hope you might be able to tell me which one is more suited for sports.
(I have been recommended the T1i in a previous thread- but it didn't feel right. That's the reason I'm back at it.)
Thanks.
Ishay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2010, 3:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The problem with buying a 20D is that you don't know how much it's been used, the shutter/mirror mech could be pretty worn out and also it is 3 generations old now, I think you are talking about 2005 if my memory serves me correctly.

Personally I would go with the T1i, it is a little slower on the fps but still OK and has a good AF system. I have never used my T1i for sports, I always use my 1DmkIII or 7D for such things but when I first got it I did play around with fast moving cars to see how it compared to other cameras in my lineup and it performed as I would have hoped.
Old May 22, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3

I agree with Mark-

I am still using my Canon 20D, but have purchased it new, I know its been well cared for and is operating well. In this case, just due to the passage of time, that 20D could have seen some rather rough shooting conditions. Personally I would not take that chance, the downside potential is far to great for my comfort level.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Let me also chime in on something. You say you want a low light sports camera. What sports? The lens is just as critical as the camera body, so you'll need to buy the appropriate lens(es) for the sport(s) you want to shoot. So, what sports? At what level of play? Where will you be shooting from?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Let me also chime in on something. You say you want a low light sports camera. What sports? The lens is just as critical as the camera body, so you'll need to buy the appropriate lens(es) for the sport(s) you want to shoot. So, what sports? At what level of play? Where will you be shooting from?
Hi John, check these out

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...irst-dslr.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...85mm-lens.html
Old May 22, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6

Just one more thing to consider, as the light drop even though you have a bright lens. You many still need higher iso then 1600. And the T1i will give you better low light ability then the 20D with the same lens set up. You may have to shoot at 3200iso or higher depending on the lighting.

The T1i's AF system works well in very low light match with a bright lens at 6400iso to avoid some motion blur.
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2010, 2:15 PM   #7

Good point, shoturtle-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 2:49 PM   #8
Super Moderator

this is an easy one.

get the T1i. as has been mentioned you have no idea how many actuations are on the 20d, and the shutter or shutter button (mine did) will fail at some point.

the t1i also outperforms it in image quality and offers numerically higher ISO's to work with.