Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: PLZ select!
FZ35 3 100.00%
SX200 0 0%
SX120 0 0%
H55 0 0%
H20 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2010, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Newbee/Novice's First Cam.......PLZ HLP!!!

Hi all. I'm Hirak, frm India.

Never had a digicam B4 (xcpt my 2mp phonecam)!!!
Gonna buy my 1st a good P&S super-zoom camera.

I'm searching for a cam with a good auto fotoQ & also good manual settings to experiment and learn Photography. It should be portable, concealable(I'm li'l shy!)and always ready to P&S. I have to quench my thirst for photography from my windows and surroundings (personal limitations). So, I want to carry my cam wherever I goan I mean wherever--frm toilet to market. I'm not a VDO prsn, I just need decent fotoQ, BIG zoom and li'l easy learning curve.

I've short-listed some models after some researches, they are:

SX120
SX200
H20
H55
& (obviously) FZ35

But now I have few glitches. FZ38 would be li'l bigger to carry all around IMHO. what do you think? My frnd have one and he struggles with its settings and UI (He had a L20 B4). And he strongly recommending me to buy SX200. I don't like SX200's design. H20 discontinued model, very narrow 38mm wide, manual lens cap! H55 costly but not too much improved(IMO), short tele-240mm! I luv SX120---design, usability, flash...almost everything, true VFM cam (as stated on several reviews).
My budget is unfortunately too much fluctuating rite now, but I can go upto FZ35/SX200 smoothly and even P100 hopefully!
Now tell me what should I do.

Can anybody PLZ tell me How much foto Q differs btwn-
SX120 vs SX200, SX200 vs FZ35, H55 vs H20 and H20 vs SX120 ?
Can I do HDR EV bracketing in SX120 manually? In which conditions I will need insane 1/2000 (or higher) shutter-speed in a P&S? How bad SX120 cud be? What is CHDK actually? Can I rely on it? Is it free? (Caution: I'm a novice)

And now the final question: Should I buy more cheaper SX120/H20 for now, then learn photography first and wait & save for new P&S super-zoom offerings (hopefully) coming soon from Panasonic, Canon, Sony....etc?

Thanks in advance
Old May 22, 2010, 3:49 PM   #2

hirak-

Purchase the Canon SX-120 and learn photography. The SX-120 is well priced and a very good camera. The other cameras offer too many features for you right now. Learn the craft first and then after becoming skilled, you will be ready for the added features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank U ma'am for ur advice.

Can anybody PLZ tell me How much foto Q differs btwn-
SX120 vs SX200, SX200 vs FZ35?
Can I do HDR EV bracketing in SX120 manually?
How bad SX120/SX200 cud be? What is CHDK actually? Can I rely on it? Is it free?

Mom wants me to buy FZ38 instead of SX120. (Her saying is--"invest on a better cam. I'm sure u'll learn to handle it. Don't be shy to carry a cam & take photographs") Now, plz tell me how bad full-auto shots gonna be in FZ38? And how much complicated is FZ35 actually? (I'm a quick-learner though )

FZ35/38 wotevr! They are the same!

Last edited by Hirak; May 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM. Reason: clr-in confusion!
Hirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 1:54 PM   #4

Hirak-

Panasonic sells the same camera labeled as either the FZ-38 to the European Common Market, or the FZ-35 to the balance of the world. Both are the same camera, excepting that the FZ-38 has a time limited video record time of 29 minutes and 59 seconds to comply with EU importation laws.

The FZ-35/38 is a very good camera with many features. It is also a user friendly camera. It does not have an Automatic Mode, per se. Instead, it has an IA, or Intelligent Automatic Mode, and a "P" or Programed Auto Mode. The "P" for Programed Auto Mode works best for brand new users. The video format used by the FZ 35/38, is AVCHD.

The FZ-35/38 is a good choice. However, due to its many features, it will have a longer and more elevated learning curve than the Canon SX-120. Here in the USA the SX-120 sell for $(US) 199.00 and the FZ-35 for $350.00. So there is a measurable price difference.

CHDk only works on certain Canon brand cameras. It originated in Russia and it is a "hacker" program. Some folks really like it, others feel that the features it allows is absolutely minimal, making it not worth the rather complex installation process.

As a digital camera instructor, I own both the Canon SX-120 and the Panasonic FZ-35 cameras. I actually prefer the smaller and more convenient size of the SX-120 camera. I also like Canon color a lot more than Panasonic color. The image quality and high ISO ability of the SX-120 is the same as the FZ-35/38.

The Canon SX-200 is a camera that many folks feel has some real design flaws. For example the pop-up flash unit pops up every time the SX-200 is powered on whether it is needed or not. The SX-200 also DOES NOT allow any zooming when filming video. The Sx-200 also shows image quality artifacts at times as well. Therefore, the Canon SX-200 never reached its real market potential.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 24, 2010, 12:26 AM   #5

Thank u very very much ma'am for elaborating.
If I buy SX120 (90% chance), then I have to consider these things:
31x [email protected]
4fps [email protected]
36mm wide instead of 27mm
360mm tele instead of 486mm
comparable shot-to-shot delay
worse flash [email protected]
HD vdo with zoom (doesn't matter much though)
future upgradeablity
....and some more features which I still don't know!!!

Or if I go with FZ35, then I have to consider these:
price
portability
manual lens cap
proprietary battery
more elevated learning curve.........right???

How abt pixQ of HX5V (compared with SX120)? Though it's not officially available in India. Its pricey. But it has many tempting features. Just asking!!! Want to know only!

:X BTW what the matter with others in this forum? Nobody got any interest in me or my queries!!! Only Sarah helping me her best! Thanx ma'am again!
Old May 24, 2010, 9:33 AM   #6

Hirak-

The Sony HX-5 does very well outdoors in good lighting, but seems to have White Balance problems when the light level decreases. In my opinion, it would not be a good choice. The Canon SX-120 or Panasonic FZ-35 will perform much better and offer better learning opportunities.

The image quality of Digital Zoom varies a great deal from camera to camera. As a matter of policy, I never use Digital Zoom due to the reduced image quality. Also it appears that you are getting completely caught up in analyzing camera specifications. The focus here has to be on getting the best image quality possible on a camera within your budget, that can be an excellent learning tool. One second different in shot to shot times is really nowhere near as significant as the learning opportunity made available to you so that you can master the photo craft.

I will leave the camera decision up to you, your Mom, and your budget. Also you should consider classes that might be available to you to help you with the learning curve. We are always happiest when we can learn and progress at a good/rapid pace.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 25, 2010, 1:07 AM   #7

Default Very sorry ma'am to disappoint you!

Never had a intention to do so. My target was between FZ35 & SX120. Just wanted to know about HX5V! PLZ pardon me.

Ma'am, you certainly led me to my final choice. Now I'm just eagerly waiting to buy SX120, i.e. my first digital still point & shoot camera. Yesterday I discussed with mom, I even drew your reference and convinced her. I'll get it in the 1ft week of June.

I don't have the privilege to attain photography class because unfortunately there is no local photography school here and I can't leave town (you know why!). So, I have to learn it by my own and your (you and others who might help!) assistance. Plz tell me if any free online tutorial will be helpful to me (free, becoz I don't have credit card!).Shall I get help frm the newbee section of this forum?

And now It is decided that I'm going to buy SX120. PLZ TELL ME:
What kind of rechargeable battery is good? sony cycle-energy 2500mAh???
What kind of tripod I need for a 300gm cam? Is gorillapod available in India?
PLZ tell me what else I need to take decent photos.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:41 AM   #8

Hirak-

Congratulations on making your decision in favor of the Canon SX-120. It is a fine camera and I know that you will enjoy it a lot. There are lots of on-line resources for learning photography including a number of help areas right on this website.

Not living in India myself, I really do not know if the gorillapod is sold there. However, I am sure that lots of small and innovative similar tripods are available. Basically all you keep to begin is a memory card, some NImH rechargeable batteries, I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries, and a wrist strap to prevent dropping the camera, lest you loose your grip. Good Luck and I enjoyed assisting you.

Sarah Joyce