Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2010, 8:57 PM   #1

Default would like to upgrade to a new Nikon from D70

I have had a D70 since they first came out 6 years ago. I love my camera but I would like to upgrade to a newer model with video. I dont use it a ton as the kids are older now and dont seem to like getting their picture taken as much and you can only take so many of the dog. I have several great lenses too. Can anyone suggest a new Nikon that may be the right fit for me? Thanks in advance!!
KimJBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2010, 9:01 PM   #2

Actually, dSLRs aren't great camcorders. Is that the only reason you want to upgrade?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 9:05 PM   #3

It is one of them. I never take video anymore and would like to have the capabilities to take some if the right scene arises!!!
KimJBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4

Nikon D90, since you have some nice nikon lenses. But if you want something smaller, it will really depend on your lenses. The D5000 will only accept AF-s and AF-i lenses. If you have nice AF lenses. You will need to stick with the larger body of the d90 with built in AF motor. The D90 is a much better camera then the d5000.
Old May 23, 2010, 7:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJBug View Post
It is one of them. I never take video anymore and would like to have the capabilities to take some if the right scene arises!!!
A dSLR is capable of superior video, but it will take a lot more effort on your part to get it. dSLRs generally can't automatically change the exposure settings while recording a video, so if the lighting changes, the scene will end up either underexposed or overexposed. Also generally, dSLRs can't change the focus while recording a video, and those that can are slow to do so. In addition, camcorders have much greater zoom ratios than dSLR lenses, giving you greater flexibility, and the dSLR lenses that do have significant zoom ratios, and so may be good for recording videos, aren't very good for shooting still images.

The primary reason to go with a dSLR over a P&S is that you don't have to compromise when shooting still images. Using a dSLR to shoot video is the antithesis of not compromising, and unless you're willing to put forth the extra effort to get the excellent video that dSLRs are capable of, I think you'd be happier with a camcorder or a P&S.

So for occasional use, a dSLR for recording video would not be a good choice. I think you'd be a lot happier with the results you'd get with a compact P&S for recording video, and leave your dSLR for the stills.

But if you want to give it a try, the D90 and D5000 that shoturtle mentioned, will record video, as well as being a significant upgrade to your D70 for recording still images.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote