Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2010, 1:57 PM   #11

Just got off the phone with local camera store, if I went with the epl-1 I'd be looking at $250 just on top of the camera just for the telephoto lens to get to 10x zoom. Ugh. That would put me in the $800+ range for quite a good camera but quite a bit more money than the FZ35....
JBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 2:09 PM   #12

LOL! Tullio has a point about giving too much attention to the dslr. As for price, I think the dslr will cost less than a $500 bridge camera + a decent video camera. I guess the question is whether you want to make photography a hobby. If so, the dslr is an easy recommendation. If not, a person can still enjoy manual controls with a P&S with the right model (not as many models offer these controls lately) in order to enjoy more image control.

I'm a little further North than Ames, in Webster City.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 2:29 PM   #13

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ot-tv-ads.html

Here is an example of the video of the epl-1
Old May 23, 2010, 2:31 PM   #14

I agree with Jim-

The really pivotal question here is what do you want to do with your photography in the future??

Then you should realistically evaluate how important certain features are:

wide angle?

telephoto?

High ISO capability?

Shot to shot times?

Multiple shot speed?

it will sort of give you a checklist of sorts. Then allow enough time to learn the camera well so that you get those great honeymoon shots. Just a few thoughts.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 2:31 PM   #15

And here is a sample from a member for Steves testing the video of the epl-1

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...ideo-test.html

If you go with the epl-1 just pick up 8 or 16gb class 6 sdhc card, and you will have plenty of memory.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:38 PM   #16

Just one thing to add about a dslr, they do not process the photos as much as point and shoot camera. So to get them the way you want. They require some post production editing. Some are into it, which I am not one of them. So I set up my dslr to do more editing then most. But having a canon T1i and shooting a pentax k-x. I will tell you that the olympus is the better jpeg engine. You really do not need to do much editing with the epl-1's photos.
Old May 23, 2010, 3:28 PM   #17

That 800 budget will let you get the epl-1 with the kit lens, and also the panasonic 45-200mm lens. Giving you the same reach as the FZ35.

Also the epl-1 does allot better job with video, and the AF system is allot better then the entry level dslr when it comes to Liveview auto focus for video.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:46 PM   #18

The video is quite good on the e-pl1. Went to local store and handled it, very nice camera. Sarah and Jim, good points, I've really enjoyed taking photos in the past with my now mortally wounded canon p&s and I'd love the chance to learn and taken even better photos with the e-pl1. shoturtle thanks for the suggestion on the epl-1 everything I've read about it has been very positive.

Looked at telephoto lens at store for the epl-1 not sure if it was panasonic lens, do I need separate adapter for epl-1 and panasonic lens?

Other suggestions from store were circular polarizer lens and uv filter.

thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions
JBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 9:55 PM   #19

No adapter need with the panasonic 45-200, but with the olympus 4/3 lenses like the 42-150 or the 70-300 you will need a m4/3 to 4/3 adapter. There are 2 on the market. Get the panasonic one if you go with the oly lens, it is the same. But 50 dollars less. Just remember that the epl1 has in body IS. So if you go with the panasonic lens, turn either the lens IS or the body IS off. Having them both on is not a good thing.

Skip the UV does absolutely nothing and a total waste. If you want to put protection on, I put a Haze 1 filter when at the beach for protection it lets in the most light while warming the shot a bit.

Get a tiffen or hoya CPL.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:57 PM   #20

Here is my personal review of the epl-1, I have tested the panasonic 45-200mm lens and posted samples.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...mpression.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote