Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I used to try to justify all my camera purchases, weighing the pros and cons and why i NEED this new camera. Now I pretend to that at least superficially.

But I have just realized that sometimes you just WANT a new camera, and it doesn't necessarily have to add to your current kit in some magnificently unique way. If it will get you out shooting and enjoying shooting, produce good images, then its ok to just want some new gear.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I used to try to justify all my camera purchases, weighing the pros and cons and why i NEED this new camera. Now I pretend to that at least superficially.

But I have just realized that sometimes you just WANT a new camera, and it doesn't necessarily have to add to your current kit in some magnificently unique way. If it will get you out shooting and enjoying shooting, produce good images, then its ok to just want some new gear.
I'm working on that philosophy, but I'm not sure I'm there just yet .

On a different note, aside from the technical differences (zoom, size, LCD, etc.) in day to day use how does the ZR1 compare to the ZS3? Is image quallity comparable?
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 6:30 PM   #13

Larry-

The image quality comparison between the ZR1 and the ZS3 is very equal excepting for the additional zoom availableon the ZS3.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 6:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Boy, I can certainly attest to that! CHASE loves this philosophy!!!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Larry-

The image quality comparison between the ZR1 and the ZS3 is very equal excepting for the additional zoom availableon the ZS3.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, Sarah. I was noticing that the ZR1 is f/5.9 at the long end of its zoom as opposed to the ZS3 which is f/4.9 plus it has more megapixels on the same sensor, so I wondered if there would be more noise in the photos -- but I guess in good light it won't matter much.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 10:26 AM   #16

Larry-

The ZR1 thrives outdoors in natural sunlight. It struggles when you exceed the Flash Range (camera to subject distance, measured in feet) and the ISO setting has to be raised (assuming you were set to Auto ISO) that is an example of when you will see noise creep into your photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:08 PM   #17

Thanks for the nice comment. we really attempt to be friendly and to provide usable information.

Sarah Joyce