Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default upgrading soon- help me decide

I am selling my current setup tomorrow and am upgrading soon after.
Now i know there is another thread asking the same questions:
nikon d90 or canon t2i?
the only thing here is that i dont really care for video, i am mainly interested in stills. the other thread had a person interested in video too.

i hear nikon is sharper and has better focus. i have been doing freelance headshots and potraits. no sports and fast motion things. maybe some concerts.
which would y'all choose?
kofman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 10:59 PM   #2

The Nikon D-90 (I have one) will be a split second slower on the focus, but generally more accurate than the Canon T-1/T-2.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3

T2i is the better low light camera. The AF is even imho, I have had no AF problems with my T1i being accurate as I shoot in burst allot. It would be next to impossible to tell which is better actually as they are so close in AF performance. Both the d90 and T2i are TIPA award winners for advance dslr. d90 in 2009, t2i this year. It just comes down to which fits you better. If you want a smaller compact T2i or a larger body D90.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
T2i is the better low light camera. The AF is even imho, I have had no AF problems with my T1i being accurate as I shoot in burst allot. It would be next to impossible to tell which is better actually as they are so close in AF performance. Both the d90 and T2i are TIPA award winners for advance dslr. d90 in 2009, t2i this year. It just comes down to which fits you better. If you want a smaller compact T2i or a larger body D90.
when you talk about low light are you being nitpicky with tiny amount of difference or is t2i day and night ahead of d90 in low light
Old May 23, 2010, 11:18 PM   #5

I am not really nitpicking. I shoot in low light all the time, and there have been instances that I have no choice but to use 12800iso to get the shoot. Could not use a tripod for long exposure.

I regularly shoot to 6400iso.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:37 PM   #6

youve tried both the d90 and t2i in low light?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7

When I was upgrade from film to digital. I rent and borrow a bunch of different of DSLR. And the D90 was on that I took out for a week, the T2i was not out last year. So I compare it to the T1i. I went with the T1i as it did let me get shoot in clubs where flash was not allow with 12800iso, I really like the d90. But that higher iso was something that I actually used. The T2i is a bit better then my T1i. I shot the 7D couple of times recently. And the T2i use pretty much the same sensor as the 7D. The bit more pixel help off set the bit more noise.
Old May 24, 2010, 6:38 AM   #8

According to DxOMark.com, the Nikon D90 has less noise and more dynamic range than the Canon T2i and the T1i, though it maxes out at ISO 6400 while the Canons can go to 12800, and the Canons have higher resolution image sensors.

I'd go with the lower noise and better dynamic range, but greater resolution might be important for what you do.

I suggest that you rent one of each and put them through their paces for what you want to do, so you can see for yourself how they'll handle what you have in mind.

BTW, is it possible that some of what you're planning to sell might be useable on a newer system?

Last edited by TCav; May 24, 2010 at 6:48 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
According to DxOMark.com, the Nikon D90 has less noise and more dynamic range than the Canon T2i and the T1i, though it maxes out at ISO 6400 while the Canons can go to 12800, and the Canons have higher resolution image sensors.

I'd go with the lower noise and better dynamic range, but greater resolution might be important for what you do.

I suggest that you rent one of each and put them through their paces for what you want to do, so you can see for yourself how they'll handle what you have in mind.

BTW, is it possible that some of what you're planning to sell might be useable on a newer system?
I am selling my olympus e-510. And I don't want Olympus again lol. Also I mostly wanna do headshots and daytime stuff. So 12800 iso isn't super important to me
Old May 24, 2010, 8:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kofman13 View Post
... Also I mostly wanna do headshots and daytime stuff. ...
For headshots, I think I'd go with the greater dynamic range of the Nikon D90 (better rendering of skin tones). Plus, the greater resolution of the Canons might not be a good thing (blemishes, wrinkles, etc.).

Last edited by TCav; May 24, 2010 at 8:19 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote