Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Need your advise please

read some reviews here, and still quite confused about which camera I should get. figure it might be easier just to ask.

I am a beginer, own a Sony Cybershot T1 for about 5 years. It's IQ is good most of the time, but very very poor in low light. The camera also does not offer enought room for me to learn. I take lots of pictures for my 3 year-old daughter while taking nature trails, at playground, swimming lessons, dance lessons and weekend trips. She is always running, and hates to stay still for picture taking, and therefore lots of pictures come out blurred. Her swimming pictures are among the worst because the pool is in a poorly lighted basement in Church. I read some posts here, and do like G11, but I definately need more zoom especially when my daughter dashes through the park. My budget is around $500.

Really appreciate your help!
dding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2

For the low light that you are shooting in, the G11 is the best you can get with a point and shoot. And will give you room for growth.

If you need more zoom, you will need to move up to a dslr, something that will shoot well at 3200iso or better. As none of the point and shoot out on the market will give you good low light when zoomed out. But with a dslr option it can get expensive as needing something that can shoot well in low light will require a lens suited for low light.

Can you use a flash, or are you trying to avoid that in the gym and other venues? You can get a megazoom with a external flash if that is an option you are up for.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Thanks, Shoturtle

They didn't like me using flash in the pool. I don't think my skill is advanced enough for a dslr yet. can you recommend a megazoom also since I have no idea what to look for?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4

The current leading in the megazoom are the panasonic FZ35 and Fuji HS10. But they will not really give you great shots in the pool. They just do not have the low light performance of a dslr to give you non blur shots at the pool. Indoor action is very hard on all point and shoot type camera including megazoom.

If you want to look for something with growth and is easy to use for a beginner. Have you consider a EVIL camera. Like an olympus EPL-1. It has a sensor that will perform well up to 2000iso. And will give you good reach if you add the panasonic 45-200mm lens. But it will be about 800 dollars. It has a super easy to uses scene mode. As you get better in photography. You can move into Iauto with a scale system. And when you are ready, you can go into the manual modes like a dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:50 PM   #5

That IAuto sounds good. I just checked the prices. And saw Olympus E-PL1 and Olympus PEN E-PL1 both at $599. Are these 2 the same?
Old May 23, 2010, 11:51 PM   #6

Yes, and it is 570 at some amazon vendors
Old May 24, 2010, 12:00 AM   #7

You will read that the epl-1 has slow AF, but that was resolved with the latest firmware. It is a fast as any of the entry level dslr on the market with the upgrade.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:06 AM   #8

Thanks a lot, Shoturtle. My husband promised me a camera as Mother's day gift. He insisted on getting me a dslr which looked very complicated to me. Now I can go tell him what to buy. and saved me lots of trouble looking as well.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:57 AM   #9

If you want one that is easy to use, and very good at low light, the pentax k-x is a very easy system to use also. And shoots great photos.