Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2010, 3:44 PM   #11

No IS on the Canon 60 2.8 also (but USM). Cheaper but may be outperformed by the newer Tamron. Why no IS in these macro-portrait lenses?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 4:02 PM   #12

Optical image stabilization in a short focal length, large aperture lens is tough and expensive. If a stabilized portrait/macro lens is important to you, you might want to look at a Pentax or a Sony. The Tamron 60/2.0 is currently only available for the Canon mount with the Sony mount RSN, and the Sigma 70/2.8 is available for both the Pentax and Sony mounts. Sony has a very nice Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5, Pentax has a nice 17-70/4.0, and Sigma's 17-70/2.8-4.5 is very nice and it's available for both the Pentax and Sony mounts.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 5:22 PM   #13

I gues i'll not change platforms and stick with Canon. But will the TTL Canon flash sincronize with the Tamron 60 2.0 lens?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:18 PM   #14

Hi Ordo

The Canon T2i (550D) is a great camera from many accounts. I started off with the Canon XT (350D) - and have taken tens of thousands of photos with it, many of which have definitely been keepers. I find the Canon 1.6x crop factor a good balance between reach, sensor size/cost and shallow depth of field possibilities.

Recently I bought a 7D and also acquired the 15-85mm Canon lens. That is a lens, specifically as a walk-around / travel lens. Sharp, great focus, effective 4-stops IS, very useful focal range. I also have the 50mm f1.8 (since I bought my 350D). The 50mm is a great value prime. I like the 50mm perspective (80mm in 35mm equivalent) for many of my shots.

The 85mm f1.8 is definitely a superior lens though. Its bokeh is more please imho, it focuses better (more accurately and faster) and is sharper wide open. Don't get me wrong, the 50mm is a decent lens (especially for the price) - but with the 350D it didn't focus consistently - (it's much better on my 7D - but under dim lighting not as consistently accurate or quick to focus as my USM lenses). Bokeh on the 50mm f1.8 can be harsh with a busy background, but in other situations it can be quite ok. I find mine is very sharp from f2.5 onwards.

Sorry I can't confirm either way about the compatability of the Speedlite 380EX TTL flash with the Tamron 60 f2.0 lens (hopefully someone with more flash knowledge can help there). I don't have a macro lens. For the purposes of 'middle close-ups' as you posted in this thread, the 15-85mm will do just fine. I have also done many similar shots with my 28-135mm and the 18-55mm kit lens too. IS can be helpful for such 'middle close up' macros. A friend did lend me his Canon 100mm (non IS) lens, which was great fun. It opened up a new world for me.

Do let us know how you go. Cheers.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:00 PM   #15

Paul: thanks for your replay here and in the Travel forum. Very kind on your behalf. The reason to get the 50 1.8 is: it's so cheap! And may be helpful on some tricky light situations. The camera comes (may be next week) with the kit lens 18-135, which i will keep, just in case.

Last edited by Ordo; Jun 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:18 PM   #16

Oh, oh... my dealer got the camera yesterday. It feels so light and small... and the viewfinder -which i relay on- seems just rudimentary... Not very happy really. I guess i will think twice.