Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Need new P&S-Panasonics -ZR1, ZR3, or ZS3

Currrently we have a Canon powershot SD870IS - which I haven't loved and prior to that another Canon PS SD and before that a fujifilm. Its time to upgrade (our Canon had an accident on our last vacation) so I have been reading around trying to make a choice.
I narrowed it down to the Panasonic luminex series.

At first I was thinking the ZR1 - price, size, zoom -- all good. but just as i was about to purchase it I read some bad things about taking pictures indoors.
ZS3 - seems to be about $100 more than the ZR1 and I am wondering if its worth the $
ZR3 - seems to be $50 more than ZR1.

We are not expert photographers but I would say we do take ALOT of family pics (not scenery pics) and would be taking the camera to alot of places. easily take 600+ pics on a one week vacation. so I want something small and versitile. the mega pixels is not that big of concern -- over 8.0, zoom -would like 8x or higher.
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
jenrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2

jenrc-

I have the Panasonic ZR1 and am very pleased with its performance. Yes, there are times when the weak built-in flash is not strong enough. The built-in flash works well out to about a camera to subject distance of 8 to 9 feet.

When I want greater flash range I just attach a Zeikos Slave Flash that I purchased for $15.95 and that nicely extends my flash range out to 14 to 15 feet, which handles groups nicely.

Amazon still has the ZR1 for less than $200, making it a great buy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I also have the ZR1 and I really enjoy it. The best part is the really nice wide angle zoom that goes from a wide 25mm equiv to a respectable 200mm equiv. It also takes respectable HD videos as well.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:37 PM   #4

Sarah -
So the indoor issue folks are speaking of would be something that's probably an issue with most of the P&S camera's...at least i have noticed with the ones i have had --that flash range was not huge so i would say i am used to 8-9 ft. I will take note of the Zeikos slave flash as i had never heard of that.
The way some of the discussion was going on Amazon it seemed like some huge problem.
What are your thoughts on the picture quality? happy with it?
Thanks for your quick response!
jenrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 1:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

here are a few examples. if you want full size examples send me a PM with your email address.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sty-shots.html
Old May 25, 2010, 2:03 PM   #6

jenrc-

I have been really pleased with my ZR-1. I like the camera a lot. A discussed the only glitch that I found and how I solved it.

My parents just borrowed the ZR1 and had a great time using it on a recent cruise. So it is an easy to use camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 9:20 AM   #7

My first suggestion is to pass on the ZR3. It has a few downgrades from the ZR1, so not really worth the extra $$$ unless you can no longer get the ZR1.

As for the ZSn, I've read some real good reviews and user opinions about then (ZS3 and ZS7 particularly, not much on the ZS5, which is the stripped ZS7). However, I've read plenty of complaints regarding LCD and noise issues (both problems related to the ZS3 in particular).

I bought the ZS7 a few days ago, which arrived yesterday but I haven't opened the box yet. After seeing some excellent results from the ZS3, I decided to get one from Amazon Warehouse for about $60 less than what I paid for the ZS7. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So, I'll be testing it first. Depending on the results, I'll make the decision to keep it, return it and try the ZS7 instead or return them both and go back to the drawing board.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote