Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Help needed

Hi
I am going on vacation soon and I am interested in buying a new p&s camera for the trip. It will be a family vacation and we will be going to the beach. I have listed below what specs I am interested in getting from my new camera. Please let me know what camera you would recommend if I am looking at the $200-$350 price range.

-MP - 8 to 14
-Optical Zoom - 7 to 10 X
-Ability to shoot in B&W
-Fast picture taking ability (I have a 4 year old that won't stay still for me to take her picture. I need it to take moving shots good and also I don't like a lag time between taking pictures even with the flash)
-Panoramic Mode
-Smile Detection
-Blink Detection
-Internal Flash
-Good Indoor and Outdoor pictures (I am not a pro so I will only be looking at the pictures as a mom so they don't have to be perfect)

**Also - I love gadgets so I have looked at the touch screen camera's and I like them. I am wondering if these are a good thing to get or are they just something to break? I see on some camera's you have to give up zoom, etc to get one with the touch screen and I would like to get opinions on if it is worth it or not.**

I have looked at several camera's but I have a few concerns about them:

Sony H-55 - It doesn't look like you can do b&w photos with this camera. It has mixed reviews so I just don't know if this would be a good camera all around. (I have the DSLR from Sony and love it so I am not against a sony just concerned)

Cannon - Powershot SX210IS - I currently have the Cannon S1000 and have had great luck with it. I am just looking for some of the newer features I am looking for. I don't think this has the panoramic feature.

Panasonic - ZS5 or ZS7 - I haven't owed a Panasonic but I have heard good things about them. I don't know if this has the features I am looking for.

Thanks so much for your help!
chrisanshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2010, 1:30 PM   #2

chrisanshawn-

Of the 4 cameras listed, I would suggest that the Panasonic ZS5 or ZS7 is the most trouble free and has the best image quality.

The Sony H-55 has receivied very mixed reviews. The Canon SX-210 on paper has great specifications. But user and professional reviews have pointed to several problem areas. The pop-up flash still pops up just like it did on the SX-200, but now by pressing a small release the flash can be stowed. When using the SX-210's built-in flash unit at distances of les than 3 to 4 feet you get a dark shadow in the lower right hand corner.

The Panasonic ZS5 and ZS7 have been problem free with very good image quality. So they are the better choice among your selected group.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 3:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the info - Do you recommend one I haven't mentioned but that has all I would like to have?

Thanks again
Old May 25, 2010, 3:37 PM   #4

chrisanshawn-

No, you have very well targeted the cameras that offer the features that you want. Well done.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2010, 2:38 PM   #5

OK - 1 more question - I am going with the Panasonic but I would like your opinion on the following models.
ZS5
ZS7
FH22/33 (The reason I am listing this is because it has the touch screen)
Also, I am very interested in the Panaramic Feature on the camera. I have heard Sony's is easy to use but that Panasonic's is hard - Do you agree with this?
Thanks so much for your help!
Old May 26, 2010, 3:39 PM   #6

chrisanshawn-

The biggest difference between the ZS5 and the ZS7 is the inclusion of GPS, the LCD resolution, and the video format used. The ZS7 has GPS, has a 430K LCD, and uses AVCHD format for video recording.

In contrast, the ZS5 does not have the GPS, has a 230K LCD, and uses a older but standard video recording format that is much more easy to edit.

Based on my not having a need for GPS, I would go for the ZS5, but that decision is entirely up to you.

The FH22/33's main feature is greater automation, faster focusing, and the 3" LCD touch screen. however, the zoom tops out at 224mm far below the ZS5 and ZS7.

A Panasonic Panorama is put together in the included software rather than produced internally in the camera. I don't mind software, so that is not complicated to me at all. But your mileage may differ.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2010, 4:18 PM   #7

Great Info

I don't care about the GPS or really video recording that much so that is good to know. What will I notice in the difference between the 430K LCD and the 230K LCD?

Is there any other camera's you would recommend if I am not really interested in the GPS or the video?

I really appreciate your help on this - I have done research for a while on which camera I wanted and the more I look the more confusing it becomes.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanshawn View Post
What will I notice in the difference between the 430K LCD and the 230K LCD?
There is simply more detail in the LCD with 430K. Initially I thought LCD wouldn't matter to me but after having the Sony HX5V (230k) and ZS7 (430k) the LCD became quite important to me. I have a much harder time telling how my image will come out on the 230k LCD. As Sarah Joyce said, your experience may differ.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:42 PM   #9

chrisanshawn-

Another possible camera is the ZS1. Adorama had it for $179.00 about 10 days ago.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:59 PM   #10

I bought the panasonic zs5 and a lot of the background on the indoor photos were red. Any ideas why this would happen
glad2help is offline   Reply With Quote