Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 26, 2010, 9:23 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default Sx210 Vs Tz10 Vs Hx5v

hei everyone! long time reader first time poster here.

I am looking to upgrade from my sony w290 to a higher end P&S. i've narrowed my list to the canon SX210, panasonic TZ10 and the sony HX5v.

i'm a college student with a specific budget and am somewhat of a photo enthusiast. most of my photos are casual (friends, travelling, etc). but sometimes i love to have manual controls over my camera, and make great use of it in some projects/occasions.

the current sony i have is fun, i love the easiness sony puts up in their camera. its good for 75% of my needs. the other 25% is spoiled by sony's drastic noise reduction processes, specially in night shots (even with the few manual option it offers). i love how it focuses on skin tones, but in the end the photo becomes useful for only web uploads.

i heard the HX5v still has this feature, but from the sample shots i saw, it looks more bearable. however i'm still open to the other cameras. i dont want my pursuit for the 25% to spoil the other 75% of 'think fast' situations.

thanks in advance for any help!
ajax14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

I purchased an SX210IS and ended up returning it due to the barrel shadow that appears on some photos. I also did not like the HD video quality of the SX210.

I ended up getting the Sony HX5V and the HD video is almost comparable to a lower end Canon Vixia HD camcorder, except that it lacks decent image stabilization. So when you shoot HD video you have to be zoomed out, or to 1x in order to avoid the slight barrel distortion in video mode. I got the HX5V to be a replacement for my digital camera and so I wouldn't have to carry a camcorder around with me. The only drawback is the 39-45 minute battery life when filming exclusively in HD Video mode. Because of this I purchased 4 backup batteries and an extra high-speed charger.

The Sweep Panorama, GPS features, and HD video were all superior, to me, compared to the SX210. Although I did like the crispness/sharpness of the SX210 images better than the HX5V, but the Sony doesn't do a lot of in-camera post-processing hence the softer look, so using a good photo program to do some light post-processing will make the images look even better.

If Sony had inclued WiFi to automatically upload pictures to Flickr, ImageShack, Picasa, MySpace, Facebaook, etc then it would have been a phenomenal camera.

I am not familiar with the Tz10 but I have heard good and bad things about Panasonic's quality. Sony has always been reliable to me, and I have no experience with Canon except for the short time I had the Sx210.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sirdomino; May 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM.
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

ajax-

Both the Canon SX-210 and the Sony HX5 have individual significant problems. The clear, best choice is the Panasonic TZ-10.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:02 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
ajax-

Both the Canon SX-210 and the Sony HX5 have individual significant problems. The clear, best choice is the Panasonic TZ-10.

Sarah Joyce
What significant issues are you specifically referencing for each?

Last edited by sirdomino; May 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM.
sirdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

The TZ-10 has superior image quality, no flash shadow problems, no WB problems, no pop-up flash problems, no muffled sound on the video, and a great macro mode.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 1:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
Default

I prefer the TZ10/ZS7 also in terms of still quality. The HX5V video is excellent but the sound is terrible and the stabilization isn't nearly as good as the ZS7 so that's a mixed bag. iSweep and HHT work well but you likely won't find yourself using iSweep much once the novelty wears off. The GPS is ok but if it's a feature you're truly interested in, it's much better implemented on the ZS7. In short, I think the ZS7 is the better camera but it loses some ground to the HX5V in terms of features. In the end, you'll have to choose between IQ and image control vs. features.
__________________
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:22 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

I was between the same three cameras and I read everything I could for all three before eliminating the SX210. It took me about 2-3 weeks to finally decide on the ZS7/TZ10. The images seemed more vibrant on the ZS7 compared to the Sony and I will be using the camera to record videos, so even though the HX5V shot 1080i video, the sound quality was terrible compared to the ZS7.

Here is the video that pushed me towards the ZS7... It was recorded with the ZS3, the predecessor to the ZS7.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyBafFHBQo&fmt=22

Compare the sound quality of that to this of the Sony that I also found on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtpYy_68D8&fmt=22

No comparison....

Oh and my ZS7 came from Amazon today. I haven't been able to use it yet because it is still charging. ;(
BPHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 8:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

bphusker-

The Panasonic ZS7 is an excellent choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 2:37 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default

thnx for all the input guys!

i noticed that the zs7 has a greenish tint in outdoor photos, while the sony has a warm filter effect (skin tone priority?). indoors however, the zs7 seems to produce warmer images than the sony. i'm sure it's about color perspective, but is anyone put on/off by this?

1080i video doesn't really mean anything to me unless the shot is stable. panorama shot is a novelty feature. so is there any other "sony like" feature i'll be missing with the zs7?

Last edited by ajax14; May 27, 2010 at 2:39 AM.
ajax14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 3:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax14 View Post
thnx for all the input guys!

i noticed that the zs7 has a greenish tint in outdoor photos, while the sony has a warm filter effect (skin tone priority?). indoors however, the zs7 seems to produce warmer images than the sony. i'm sure it's about color perspective, but is anyone put on/off by this?
The respective effects of each are not seen in every photo. To be honest with you, sometimes I prefer a cooler image (such as the ZS7) and other times I prefer a warmer image (HX5V). It all depends on the scene. You can alter this by using the WB presets vs the AWB, though each camera will still have its predilections. Indoors, you can simply forget about using any preset or AWB on the Sony altogether in 99% of all instances as images have a very obvious and unpleasant, heavy yellow cast. As for the other casts, you can usually correct them easily in post. To answer your last question, I am sometimes put off and sometimes not. It depends on the scene and the intensity of the effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax14 View Post
1080i video doesn't really mean anything to me unless the shot is stable. panorama shot is a novelty feature. so is there any other "sony like" feature i'll be missing with the zs7?
HHT/Backlight Correction which are very similar functions. In general, the Sony simply maintains better color across the ISO range. The Panasonic begins to lose it over ISO 400. On the other hand, the Panasonic has shutter priority. Couple that with a tripod (or in this case a handrail) and you will get superior night scenes as compared to what the Sony can likely produce. This one was taken at civil twilight under heavy tree cover in shutter priority (slowest shutter speed) with the camera sitting on a handrail. The camera automatically selected ISO 80.




Now I don't believe you should ever do 100% crops with a cam like this, but here it is anyway in case someone was curious. I have in-camera NR set to -1 at this point btw.

__________________
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.

Last edited by FiveO; May 27, 2010 at 2:46 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:48 PM.