Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2010, 6:08 PM   #1

Default All arounder..

So, my first post, and guess what.. i have a what camera question!!

I'm an avid mountain biker and have been meaning to buy a camera for quite a while now; one which i can take to the trails and take stills and HD video with. While riding it will be strapped to my backpacks shoulder strap for easy access for taking pics, and for filming video while riding.

I've been googling about and am interested in 2 cameras (for now!). The Panasonic DMC-FS11 and DMC-TZ7 really interest me. I'm just not sure how much i really need the TZ7 over the FS11.

The TZ7 has zoom while filming, which is a nice 'camcorder' feature, and it uses AVCHD which allows longer filming (although supposedly slightly lower quality).
Those are the only 2 real pluses i can see. The more sophisticated lens i guess only helps with the great zoom, and still picture quality between the 2 cameras is probably similar.. ?? Image stabilization, which is important for what i need, is probably also the same.

If anyone could fill me in as to why i should take the TZ7 over the FS11, or even recommend another camera that would suit me (not more expensive than the TZ7), that would be great.

Great smilies here!!
PsyCro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2010, 6:33 PM   #2

Psycro-

I really think that you would enjoy the longer zoom provided by the TZ-7 over the FS11. That extra zoom could potentially be very valuable to you in capturing the photos you desire.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 7:22 PM   #3

My son is an avid off-road biker. If you do anything like what he does, you may want to consider getting a ruggedized camera. I got him a Canon D10 a year or so ago, before he went off to Alaska to do an internship with the BLM. It is waterproof to 30 feet (he also snorkels when he's in warmer climates) and is shock-resistant and able to function in a broad range of temperatures (he also skis). It's just a minimal camera other than that -- 3x zoom, no features you can't select with mittens on, etc. There are probably better quality ruggedized cameras out there, although this one suits his snap-shot interest in photography. I just wanted to mention that there may be other things than IQ on your wish list for a camera if you're serious about the outdoors. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 2:21 AM   #4

Yep, a rugged camera could be interesting. The Panasonic DMC-TS1 also caught my eye ... http://helmetcamexperience.blogspot.com/

Eventually i might also get an underwater housing and use the camera for SCUBA as well. Some more research seems to be in order.
Old May 27, 2010, 6:07 PM   #5

Hm, how bout this one.. between the TZ7(ZS3) and the HX5V, which would function better as an action cam strapped to my backpack while riding?? It really seems people are on the wall between these two cameras.
(i suppose that either way i'll be using (have to use) editing software to reduce any jiggling as well)

My head is full of all this camera stuff.. time for bed!
Old May 27, 2010, 7:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyCro View Post
Hm, how bout this one.. between the TZ7(ZS3) and the HX5V, which would function better as an action cam strapped to my backpack while riding?? It really seems people are on the wall between these two cameras.
(i suppose that either way i'll be using (have to use) editing software to reduce any jiggling as well)

My head is full of all this camera stuff.. time for bed!
The OIS on the Panasonic is much better when it comes to video, as is the sound. The Panasonic has also demonstrated an ability to handle fast motion better which is something that might be important if you're flying down the bike trail. Sony's 1080 is obviously a bit better than Panny's 720 though so that's a factor to consider.

The Panasonic also feels better constructed to me, though I don't have any facts to back up that it is better constructed. I did drop my ZS7 (LCD side down) the first day I used it - right on the hiking trail from about 5 feet up. A week later I dropped it again, this time on my carpet at home - again from about 5 feet up. It can certainly take at least some abuse with no damage externally and nothing in photos that shows any damage internally either.

FYI, we own both. I bought the ZS7 and HX5V to compare and chose the ZS7. My wife decided she preferred the Sony due to its simplicity and she chose to keep that as her camera. It is her first camera btw - seriously.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:14 PM   #7

Like Five-O, I also own sort of both. The Sony HX5 and the Panasonic ZS1 and ZS3 were my choices. In my opinion the Panasonics are a bit better, in terms of WB and image quality. I feel that the ZS7 would be better for your application.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 2:05 AM   #8

Thanks a bunch!! I guess now its just a matter of finding time to go to the store, grab the camera, a 16gig card, and a carry case i can slaughter for action cam use!
Old May 28, 2010, 2:34 PM   #9

I just did a quick search on the CCD streak problem.. wasn't really able to figure out weather its a just a hardware or software problem, or both. Any chance of firmware upgrades in the future that might fix the problem??
Old May 28, 2010, 3:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyCro View Post
I just did a quick search on the CCD streak problem.. wasn't really able to figure out weather its a just a hardware or software problem, or both. Any chance of firmware upgrades in the future that might fix the problem??
Nope. It's not a defect but rather a limitation of CCD sensors. It is only related to very bright direct light or reflections of that light. The sensor is able to cope with it in still shots but not video. It will occur in any camera using a CCD sensor. It's one of the primary reasons CMOS sensors are used for video these days.