Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2010, 9:42 PM   #1

Default Best Compact Camera (Image Quality)

hi to all i m new to this photography world. . budget is flexible up to 400$ of in india 20000Rs i want to buy a camera that delivers best image quality and usable as a travel cum indoor (day to day use) camera. i have few doubts about p&s cameras (@) what is difference in image qualities between sony w380, canon sx210, panasonic fz35, nikon coolpix s8000 ? i have seen sony w380 of w210 (old) deliver some fine images. but no experience of zoom cameras. please guide me to buy a camera that deliver best image quality. i can compromise in zoom if needed. but zoom is advantageous but not against image quality.
newboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2010, 9:50 PM   #2

newboss-

#1 Canon G-11
#2 Canon S-90
#3 Panasonic FZ-35
#4 Kodak Z-1012
#5 Panasonic ZS3

There you are, 5 top cameras in a variety of price ranges. Check them out. I sincerely hope this post will lead to a lively discussion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 9:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
newboss-

#1 Canon G-11
#2 Canon S-90
#3 Panasonic FZ-35
#4 Kodak Z-1012
#5 Panasonic ZS3

There you are, 5 top cameras in a variety of price ranges. Check them out. I sincerely hope this post will lead to a lively discussion.

Sarah Joyce
thanks for quick reply . .
i wanted to know why image quality is different despitre all camera having same sensor i.e. 1/23 size? is fz35 image qaulity is better than sony w380 in wide angle( i think its near distance) ??
Old May 26, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4

newboss-

(1) Yes, the image quality of the Panasonic FZ-35 is better than the Sony W-380 due to its Leica formula lens, and the FZ-35's built-in firmware and image processor. The camera take the photo using the lens. A better quality lens equals better quality photos. Next the FZ-35's image processor and on-board data bank (the firmware) together provide the Artificial Intelligence to process the finished photo.

(2) It is the data stored in the image processor and the camera's firmware that finish the photo in a unique style. That is why cameras produce different image quality and finished photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2010, 10:56 PM   #5

thanks Sarah Joyce for quick reply . .

i was looking around in this forum, i found that, fz35 is best in terms of budget superzoom P&S. in this price.

my head raised one more query.

here in india panasonic is not aggressive. so we can get these camera in grey market. my question is. . hows build quality of fz35 really? is there any maintenance required in digital camera or specific fz35 ??

do i need more option to consider in these budget ? or siply go for fx35 ?

here in india fz35 selling around 170$ or 17500Rs . . with 6 months deales warranty . .

Last edited by newboss; May 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:26 PM   #6

newboss-

I think that you are confusing the FX-35 with the FZ-35. I have been discussing the FZ-35 only. The Fz-35 costs more than $(US)170.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2010, 12:37 AM   #7

ohh sorry. . . thats 370$US not 170$. . . it was mistake

here i can get these camera in grey market only . my question is. .

hows build quality of fz35 really? is there any maintenance required in digital camera or specific FZ35 ??

do i need more option to consider in these budget ? or simply go for FZ-35 ?

Last edited by newboss; May 27, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:32 AM   #8

newboss-

The "build quality" of the Panasonic FZ-35 is quite high. There is no specific routine maintenance for a digital camera like the FZ-35. Protected with a case and carefully handled, it should serve you for 5 to 7 years without any problems.

This initial discussion began on the premise of a point and shoot camera providing the very best image quality. Above the Panasonic FZ-35, if you desire added image quality, you will find the Canon G-11 and S-90, that you can also consider.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:52 PM   #9

thanks Sarah
i like to share one thing with all of u. my friend purchased fz35 recently in india obviously from Grey market. within two week its joy stick stops functioning and he dropped down camera. now its giving errors while shooting. and its very hard to find any repairer for that. its bad experience.

i m thinking of not to go with un-popular brand(in india) like panasonic. whats next product in same category ? is it SX20 or HS10 or other ??

i m confused. . . is other than panasonic . . please guide . . i m little biased towards sx20 . . same time i m open to other option also ..
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:43 AM   #10

newboss-

The Fuji HS-10 would be a much better choice than the Canon SX-20. Also keep in mind that Canon should introduce a replacement for the SX-20 before the end of the year.

Sarah Joyce