Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2010, 6:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
You mean Carl Zeiss, right?!?

Anyway, I'll be posting my 2c on the Pana ZS3 probably tonight. You might want to check it out...it ain't pretty I can tell you that!
It's the #1 selling P&S and extremely popular among enthusiasts as well. Neither of these is without reason. The only people who are typically displeased with it are those expecting the impossible from the sensor.
Old May 28, 2010, 6:41 PM   #12

Every compact-zoom class camera seems to include a few compromises.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 11:54 PM   #13

So I was at Costco today and looked at some cameras. I was kind of impressed with Casio EX-H10, 12 megapixels - 10x optical zoom, but I don't really know much about that one.

I also asked one of the sales guys if he can recommend one, which would take nice night time pictures as well as daytime. He actually said he had the Lumix DMC-ZS1 and just came back from Las Vegas. He had taken some night shots and was very impressed with the result. So I ended up buying it, since they have a 90 day return policy and I figured if I don't like it I'd return it.

I took some evening shots and some day shots today and it's kind of nice. Now I'm trying to figure out the difference between Lumix DMC-ZS1 and the other ZS cameas that you guys talked about.
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
So I was at Costco today and looked at some cameras. I was kind of impressed with Casio EX-H10, 12 megapixels - 10x optical zoom, but I don't really know much about that one.

I also asked one of the sales guys if he can recommend one, which would take nice night time pictures as well as daytime. He actually said he had the Lumix DMC-ZS1 and just came back from Las Vegas. He had taken some night shots and was very impressed with the result. So I ended up buying it, since they have a 90 day return policy and I figured if I don't like it I'd return it.

I took some evening shots and some day shots today and it's kind of nice. Now I'm trying to figure out the difference between Lumix DMC-ZS1 and the other ZS cameas that you guys talked about.
The ZS1 and ZS3 are the older models. The ZS5 is the upgrade to the ZS3 and the ZS7 is the upgrade to the ZS3. In terms of image quality, you are actually slightly ahead with the older models. If you want some of the new features such as GPS, better button layout, anti-glare LCD, manual controls, picture adjustment ... those are on the ZS7. For all of. the ZS cams, shots of night landscapes are best done with a tripod.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:14 AM   #15

I'm curious to see some images from the ZS1. I don't know what people's expectations are but personally I am quite disappointed at the ZS3. It produces decent images as long as ISO is at 80 and no cropping takes place at all. I'm in the process of selecting some shots (I did not take that many pictures with the ZS3 anyway) and write up my opinion of the results.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 1:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I'm curious to see some images from the ZS1. I don't know what people's expectations are but personally I am quite disappointed at the ZS3. It produces decent images as long as ISO is at 80 and no cropping takes place at all. I'm in the process of selecting some shots (I did not take that many pictures with the ZS3 anyway) and write up my opinion of the results.
The ZS1 has a smaller sensor so the quality would be below the ZS3.

As I said .... You're pixel peeping a P&S pocket cam with a tiny sensor. What did you expect? It's ahead of all of the competition. If you're going to compare it to cameras in a higher IQ class (S90, LX3, larger P&S, dSLR, etc.), of course you will be disappointed. These cams are meant primarily for printing at 4x6 and 5x7 and in the case of the ZS3, ZS7 and some others, the occasional 8x10.

I think this is more than "decent" for a P&S pocket cam. This is from a ZS7 which is considered to be a drop in IQ from a ZS3.

... and this one was taken in darkness using a tripod w/ shutter priority. I also think this is more than "decent" for this class of camera.

Last edited by FiveO; May 29, 2010 at 5:09 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 9:18 AM   #17

Five-O-

I was under the impression that the ZS1 used the same imager as the ZS3, but had a downgraded LCD screen and no HD video. The Zs, based on my experience should actually do pretty well, and be close to the ZS3.

The ZS1 will perform quite well in a brightly light situation like Las Vegas rather well. Here is one ZS1 sample and I have more.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2010, 12:06 PM   #18

For good measure, here is another Panasonic ZS1 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...97_Dvw57-L.jpg
Old May 29, 2010, 4:16 PM   #19

Yep, I don't disagree that it is a good cam Sarah Joyce. According to Panasonic however, it does have a smaller sensor.
Old May 29, 2010, 6:27 PM   #20

Five-O-

yep that is probably true. However, I have been please with the ZS1 image quality and price at $179.00.

Sarah Joyce