Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:13 PM   #21

FiveO, your images look good but you applied heavy noise reduction in PP. Can you please post the same shots as they were right out of the camera? I'm curious as to how much noise they have. After all, these cameras are not meant to be for the PS expert either.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
FiveO, your images look good but you applied heavy noise reduction in PP. Can you please post the same shots as they were right out of the camera? I'm curious as to how much noise they have. After all, these cameras are not meant to be for the PS expert either.
Virtually all of the shots I post here are right out of the camera aside from the occasional tone or color correction. I do occasionally run them through the default settings of Neat Image though. I can't be sure about those 2 specific images though so here they are again, 100% untouched aside from resize.

If I recall correctly, in-camera NR was set to -1 for the waterfall and at the default of 0 for the flower. At 0 there is very little noise and at -2 there is quite a bit so I have actually left my ZS7 set at -1 for at least a week now. I find -1 to be a good balance of NR and detail retention for my tastes. I shoot in Program Auto 99% of the time.

[IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/dtipIconHover.png[/IMG]
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:09 AM   #23

Considering you have the camera NR set to -1 and how much dark areas there is on both shots, the images look awfully clean, particularly the background of the flower shot. I can not get images that clean out of my EP1.

Tullio
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Considering you have the camera NR set to -1 and how much dark areas there is on both shots, the images look awfully clean, particularly the background of the flower shot. I can not get images that clean out of my EP1.
Here are the original photos at full size in case you want to have a look. (about 9MB)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1f7..._Untouched.zip
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:17 PM   #25

I can't simply download the file, the site wants me to download something else. Besides, I don't need to see the full size image. If you use Picasa, re-size it to 600 at 95% and upload directly here. That should suffice.

Tullio
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:52 PM   #26

Scroll to bottom, download now ... but np, I just thought you might want to see it for your own piece of mind.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:58 PM   #27

FiveO

what was the iso on theses shots?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
FiveO

what was the iso on theses shots?
ISO 80 for both. The waterfall was shot in shutter priority at the slowest speed since it was a bit past civil twilight under heavy tree cover. The camera was also sitting on a railing for the waterfall shot. Flower shot was handheld.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:35 AM   #29

It should not be to noisy at 80iso at all, NR seems to be a bit of overkill at that low of a iso.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:05 AM   #30

* Edit: You know what, nevermind. I have no idea what the point of this discussion even is after a half-dozen posts. It started with accusations of me altering photos and has moved on to pointlessness. Nothing to be gained here.

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 3, 2010 at 5:02 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote