Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:26 PM   #31

OK, I managed to download the photos. These shots had NR set to -1 and the images look very very clean (even at 100% crop). Some background areas are smudged but not bad considering the lack on natural light. I took some shots with the ZS3 (which BTW I sent back to Amazon today) at 300mm under bright sunlight and there's just no comparison. The ZS3 has goo macro capabilities but I find the ZS7 overall IQ better.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:23 PM   #32

I do indeed think most of the bad press the ZS7 gets from ZS3 aficionados is undeserved. It's not perfect but imho it's a very good cam as far as pocket superzooms go.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:29 PM   #33

Well, I do have one in a sealed box. Today I ordered a Ricoh CX2 from Amazon. I've been reading lots of good reports on it. There are at least three major differences between it and the ZS7. 1) no manual controls (I'm not sure I'll do well w/o them); 2) No HD video (this does not bother me as I don't care too much about video recording) and; 3) no optical zooming during video recording (this is more of a problem. Although I don't care abut HD as much, I do like to be able to zoom in/out while filming. The CX2 video reviews I've watched show the digital zooming during video recording. Not only it's only like 2x or 4x, it's bumpy and digital zoom is never high res. Other than that, the camera is loaded with good features and the CMOS sensor apparently handles high ISO fairly well up to 800. Will see. I'm going on vacation next week and will take the CX2 along with me. Depending on the results, either I'll keep the CX2 and return the ZS7 or vice-versa. One way or another, I'll be done with it as I'm tired of reading reviews and looking for samples.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote