Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2010, 3:21 PM   #11

Interesting. However, according to reviews, it does not have a good auto mode nor does it have sharp photos.
Old May 28, 2010, 4:46 PM   #12

I think I might be splitting hairs here.

I have also considered the LX3 and the S90...I know that the zoom is not up to speed with the other P&S below their tier, and i was wondering if anyone had experience with using the adapters for the LX3 or the S90.

Looks like they have them for both, although the S90 one is a little more jerry-rigged mouting from the threaded tripod screwhole. EDIT: I see lensmate has one that is mounted a little differently.

Regardless...does anyone have experience with those?

Also...what is the reading on the Nikon S8000?

Last edited by mackloon; May 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM.
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 7:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
I think I might be splitting hairs here.

I have also considered the LX3 and the S90...I know that the zoom is not up to speed with the other P&S below their tier, and i was wondering if anyone had experience with using the adapters for the LX3 or the S90.

Looks like they have them for both, although the S90 one is a little more jerry-rigged mouting from the threaded tripod screwhole. EDIT: I see lensmate has one that is mounted a little differently.

Regardless...does anyone have experience with those?

Also...what is the reading on the Nikon S8000?
... and I thought I was obsessive. The S90 and LX3 are in a totally different class than the rest of your list. If you want to start hauling around lenses then you're going down a different road entirely.

The general consensus on any Nikon P&S for the last few years or so is that they are sub-par. Their biggest benefit is in their form factor. Nikon essentially gave up on P&S years ago and has focused more on their higher end cameras which are still very good.

The bottom line here is that you cannot have it all. It doesn't matter how much you are willing to spend or how long you are willing to wait. You are going to have to give something up. Portability. Zoom. Top tier IQ. Features. Speed. Control. Something.

Last edited by FiveO; May 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 7:40 PM   #14

If pocket-ability is the issue, then the choice is pretty clear. Its the Panasonic ZS3 or ZS7, with the ZS7 leading the way. If just generally small in size is the issue, then consider the LX3, S-90, or G-11.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 8:13 PM   #15

Okay so the hunt is pretty much concluded.

The bad thing is that the HX5V which I wanted so bad to be better has to go back to the store (still in box). The thing I am going to miss most from that one is the panoramics and burst shots. I did really like the form of the S8000 when I held it at the store today. I also really like the feel of the S90, but the lack of the zoom was what held it back. The feature set of the G11 also sucked me back to Canon, but the larger form factor and the lack of zoom deterred the purchase. My late considerations of the Ricoh CX3 and the Hz35w were unfortunately plagued with either lack of information, or mixed reviews.

The facts that held me back from making the obvious final decision were that it was not as feature packed as some of the competition, on particular the burst/continuous shooting and the isweep.

I have to go for the ZS7. Which is good because I already have on sitting in the basement waiting to be opened.

In addition to some of the aforementioned features lacking from my selection was that cheap batteries do not exist for it yet.

I am probably going to let this fester for another day, but I think O have exhausted my resources. I thank everyone for their input, and I will post back as thoughts of switching my choice rise back up, only to be beat down by the facts.

Any additional info is always appreciated.

Hey where do you get the Brown ZS7 from?

Thanks

Mackloon

Ps, sorry for typos I'm typing on an ipod
Old May 28, 2010, 11:03 PM   #16

mackloon-

You are coming from a Canon G-9. The G-9 has a measurably larger initial cost. However, now you are looking for very similar features is cameras that cost less. That is contra logic. Everyone loves a bargain and nobody want to really compromise.

But there is a reality to the features available on the cameras in the compact zoom class of cameras that has to be acknowledged. Canon has made a good market for their S-90 and G-11 for those that don't want to compromise.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 28, 2010, 11:21 PM   #17

Good choice imho - but you knew that. You can check out some of these from ebay. Perhaps one or more will work with the ZS7.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:42 PM   #18

Sarah and FIve-0

Thanks very much for all of the insight.

My original intention when I offed the G9 was to get the G11...however I went back and forth about the zoom...and figured I really wanted to upgrade on the max zoom, and considering the G11 was a 5x at 28mm, and the g9 was a 6x at 35mm, it was a bigger decrease than just 1x...

I think that I will keep a look out for that magical camera that will cover all of my needs in one package, but I am not holding my breath. If that camera never presents itself I will just get the DSLR to round out the package.

Thanks again for your insight.

mackloon
Old May 29, 2010, 12:18 AM   #19

Mackloon-

DSLR's like the Pentax Kx and the Nikon D-5000 are now at all time low prices.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 29, 2010, 10:34 AM   #20

See...look what you did, you fed the Demon and now I was a Pentax KX. I read through the dpreview for that model. What other models in this entry class have live view? Also, are there any in this class that do not suffer from AF delays when in live view? In addition are there any other models that AWB more accurately than the KX.

Not sure if anyone read that review, and I am not sure how accurate or inaccurate the review is... Here are the pros and cons -

Conclusion - Pros

Good detail and color in JPEGs at base ISO
Class-leading image quality in low light, very good retention of fine detail at high ISOs
Good quality 720p video output (but Motion JPEG format produces large files)
Decent build quality
Quick and responsive operation
Coherent user interface
Very small dimensions for a DSLR
11-point AF system with flexible AF-point selection
ISO range up to ISO 12800
4.7 frames per second continuous shooting (though buffer runs full quickly in RAW)
Reliable flash exposure
Excellent battery life with Lithium batteries (still good with Ni-MH rechargeables)
Good viewfinder
LCD color fine-tunable
Extensive white balance options
User-definable Auto ISO
Distortion and chromatic aberration correction for DA and DFA lenses (also available in RAW conversion when using supplied software)
Three-shot in-camera HDR capture
Good selection of image parameters
Digital Filters
Choice of two RAW formats
In-camera RAW conversion
Good bundled RAW converter (based on SilkyPix)
Very attractive price point

Conclusion - Cons

Tendency to clip highlights in high-contrast scenes
Relatively little RAW headroom means it is difficult to pull back blown detail even when shooting RAW
No visible AF points in viewfinder
Shake-reduction not too efficient
AF in live view very slow (like most SLRs)
Unreliable Auto White Balance in artificial light (but very good presets and WB fine tuning)
No HDMI-connector
ISO in movie mode is capped which can result in underexposed videos