Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:56 AM   #51

Sarah Joyce,

May I ask why you liked the Panasonic ZS1 and ZS3 but not the ZS7? Was it the price, the size, or mostly I wonder if it did not have as good an image?

Thanks, and sorry to barge in on the original question (to which I don't know the answer!)
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:12 AM   #52

Clemma-

I purchased and then returned the ZS7, as I felt that the ZS3 was just as good. In retrospect, I might have been slightly wrong, but my purse was happy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:59 AM   #53

HX5 has really great IQ as born out by a range of reviews (check photographyblog, check out What Digital Camera july edition for a comparative test, and DPreview have a travel zoom test with drop down comparrisons) they rate the HX5 IQ at a smidgen less than the S90 but the HX5 gets a much better low light IQ rating than the S90, I think the HX5 is a great cam and it matches my FZ35 for IQ but blows it away in low light...
jostian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:23 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under_rock View Post
Hijack! Does the Pentax you all have been speaking of take older lenses? I have a few lenses for a very old Pentax Spotmatic, is it silly to think they could be put to good use? I also have the old camera btw, but I don't even know how to load film into it. *cries*
Not sure.....

I know it takes any k mount lenses, or m42 with adapter.

Someone else will know more that I...

I'm just a beginner.
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:29 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostian View Post
HX5 has really great IQ as born out by a range of reviews (check photographyblog, check out What Digital Camera july edition for a comparative test, and DPreview have a travel zoom test with drop down comparrisons) they rate the HX5 IQ at a smidgen less than the S90 but the HX5 gets a much better low light IQ rating than the S90, I think the HX5 is a great cam and it matches my FZ35 for IQ but blows it away in low light...
Interesting. I found the review information that you found to yield similar results. I also found that most user forums disagree with the reviewers.

I wanted the features of the hx5 and the zoom, iq and manual function of the zs7. I own both, and have not done my tests yet, but I figure a side by side should make my decision easier... Then off to ebay with the other.

I will post my findings.

Got the hx5 for 315 and the zs7 on coupon from amazon for 250.

Last edited by mackloon; Jul 7, 2010 at 5:33 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:31 AM   #56

This link provides a useful comparative tool bewteen the HX5v and the FZ35 (and others), towards the bottom of the page, click the compare button at right, then select the camera from the drop down list and click add. Provides a useful way to compare the IQ results and other features, useful tool. The outcomes of which coincide with my own results for teh FZ35 and HX5, under normal shooting conditions there is very little to choose between them but in low light th eHX5's IQ is quite a bit better. The movie mode of the FZ35 though great for 720p has nowhere near the detail of the HX5V.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210...oom/page13.asp
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:57 AM   #57

can you compare the zs7 to the hx5 on there?

I could not find the link you were referring to on the page...

Last edited by mackloon; Jul 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:40 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

If you want to pixel peep save to desktop at high ISO's and compare...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostian View Post
I think you've got the models confused here. The S90 isn't even in the travel zoom category and it wipes the floor with the HX5V on IQ. The camera in the comparison is the SX210, an unsuccessful series that Canon should have replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post

Well you have both so decide what you prefer. There are a lot of pro reviews that compare these 2 cameras though and every single one ranks the ZS7 ahead of the HX5V in daylight IQ. It's reversed for low light. Go ahead and take the HX5V out for a week and snap away and see if you are impressed since that's all that matters.

Last edited by FiveO; Jul 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:32 PM   #60

No FiveO, if you go to the travel zoom review on dpreview and select the HX5 when the page opens scroll down and towards the bottom on the right there is a 'compare' button click it and one is able to select a range of camera's in the dropdown incl the others from the review, but also the FZ35, S90 and others and the HX5 wipes the floor with all for low light IQ even better than the S90, normal IQ the HX5 comes 2nd a tiny bit behind the S90.