Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Administrator

You'll have to decide. I've never used either of those battery brands. It looks like buydig.com offers a Zeikos brand EL-EL9. But, I haven't used one of those either.

As for memory cards, personally, I'd probably go with a Transcend Class 10 Card. They've got very good "bang for the buck" (very little price difference compared to their slower cards), and test quite well for their price:

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/sp...cards-sdc.html

I always buy my memory cards from newegg.com

Here's a search for Transcend Class 10 (they have them in multiple sizes):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ass+10&x=0&y=0

Note that the Ultimate series SDHC cards from Transcend (like those Class 10 cards) have a lifetime warranty. The listings for them appear to be wrong (as they're showing a 2 year warranty instead). If you click on the photos for their packaging in the newegg.com listings, you'll see the Lifetime Warranty emblem on them.

You'll see the same thing if you click on one of the Class 10 cards on the Transcend web site (Lifetime Warranty is the last thing under features for them):

http://www.transcendusa.com/products...c1No=&Func2No=

If you look under ordering information, you'll also see that the part numbers match up to the ones newegg.com is selling.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:55 AM   #12

They may be reputable but I've had problems with Cameta cameras in the past. They sell a lot of refurbished equipment (although they claim they are open boxes, they are not). I'd contact them first and ask for specifics before buying anything from them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 11:23 AM   #13
Administrator

I've used them in the past, and the gear I've received from them has been factory refurbished (marked that way on the boxes) when I've purchased their "Sales Demo" versus new gear (and they sell gear both ways).

That's what they call Sales Demos (it's the manufacturer's factory refurbished gear, as I mentioned in my previous post about it). That's why it's discounted (because it's refurbished). ;-)

I don't consider that to be a bad thing (as from my perspective, it's been checked over again by the manufacturer to make sure it works OK, with any problems corrected -- so, it's likely to have been given more attention than brand new gear coming off the assembly line).

You'll find threads here where a number of our members have purchased gear from them that way and have been satisfied with it (and I've bought gear multiple times from them and I've been satisfied with it, too). They sell both new and factory refurbished gear. The refurbished gear they sell is sold as "Sales Demos". I'd rather have Nikon factory refurbished gear versus an Open Box product that hasn't been checked for problems by the manufacturer anyway.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:46 AM   #14

Just like you, JimC-

I have had good service and received the expected products from Cameta at excellent and very competitive prices. Certainly they are offering D-5000 DSLR cameras at prices you will not find elswhere, if you watch your bidding carefully on E-Bay, while providing the traditional 1 year guarantee.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've used them in the past, and the gear I've received from them has been factory refurbished (marked that way on the boxes) when I've purchased their "Sales Demo" versus new gear (and they sell gear both ways).
Exactly what happened to me. There is a difference between "demo" and refurbished. Calling a refurbished unit "sales demo" is misleading. To me, a sales demo unit is a unit that was open at the store for, well, "demo".

Quote:
That's what they call Sales Demos (it's the manufacturer's factory refurbished gear, as I mentioned in my previous post about it). That's why it's discounted (because it's refurbished). ;-)...
That's misleading, though. They do not state anywhere that "sales demo" is Cameta's word for refurbished.

Quote:
I don't consider that to be a bad thing (as from my perspective, it's been checked over again by the manufacturer to make sure it works OK, with any problems corrected -- ...
Well, that depends. In my case, that was not the case. A few years back I bought a Nikon 5900. It was a hard-to-find camera. Cameta sold it as a demo unit but it was actually refurbished. As soon as I turned it on, the LCD went black. Then, as I moved the camera vertically and horizontally, the LCD would turn ON/OFF. So, who double-checked that unit to make sure it was functioning? Nikon? Cameta? No one? Needless to say, it went right back and that was it for me. No more Cameta in any way, shape or form (and no more refurbished units either, thank you very much!).

Tullio
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:14 PM   #16

I agree Tullio. I too did not know that Demo meant refurbished till JimC mentioned it. I don't mind buying refurbished keyboards or wireless routers; but I'm hesitant when it comes to delicate electronics .... unless if sold by Apple

Anyway, I should be getting the Nikon soon. The price went up from $799 to $819. Will wait till it goes down.
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:37 PM   #17

The d5000 is a good camera, but you may not want to get any of the packages. Allot of the stuff they put into them are really not that good.

If you sister is not planning to get more then the 2 kit lens. It will be a good system. But if she plans on moving up to primes and macro lenses. It can get quite a bit more expensive compare to the d90. As the d5000 do not auto focus with the lower price nikon lenses without a built in af motor.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:25 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Exactly what happened to me. There is a difference between "demo" and refurbished. Calling a refurbished unit "sales demo" is misleading. To me, a sales demo unit is a unit that was open at the store for, well, "demo".

That's misleading, though. They do not state anywhere that "sales demo" is Cameta's word for refurbished.
Semantics. ;-)

Same thing either way (they're checked over for problems and repackaged). See the text in the listings for them explaining that. Would you rather they didn't check them over for problems?

Here's a quote from a listing for one:

"What is a Nikon Factory Demo?

A Nikon Factory Demo is an item that has been thoroughly inspected and tested by Nikon USA to meet all original Manufacturer's specifications. All items have minimal to no use, and cosmetically are in mint or near-mint condition. Each item is in BRAND NEW operating condition and is covered by a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY on all parts and labor by Cameta Camera."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200478516296

Quote:
Well, that depends. In my case, that was not the case. A few years back I bought a Nikon 5900. It was a hard-to-find camera. Cameta sold it as a demo unit but it was actually refurbished.
Semantics. Of course, it's refurbished. ;-)

A refurbished camera is one that's been tested by the manufacturer to make sure it works as a new camera and repackaged. Again, see the text about them in their listings.

That's usually a much better way to buy a camera, since it's been checked over by the manufacturer (as long it's a factory refurbished camera, like the ones Cameta sells are).

Nikon USA sells them that way directly from the nikonmall.com site from time to time, too. I've actually got an old Nikon Coolpix 950 I bought that way some 10 years ago (and it still works). Personally, I'd rather buy a refurbished camera instead of a new one, since it's been checked over more carefully and you get one at a lower cost.

Cameta, Adorama, B&H and others often carry Nikon gear that way.

Quote:
As soon as I turned it on, the LCD went black. Then, as I moved the camera vertically and horizontally, the LCD would turn ON/OFF. So, who double-checked that unit to make sure it was functioning? Nikon? Cameta? No one?
Nikon USA did (and the boxes even have a sticker on them to let you know they're refurbished). It may have been damaged in shipment. You could have just as easily had the same problem with a brand new camera. Nikon USA is the one that checks them for issues and makes sure they work as good as a new one (and many vendors sell Nikon refurbished gear).

So, I wouldn't blame Cameta if you had problems -- as it's more likely an issue from shipping damage with the camera banged around too much, or Nikon USA "dropped the ball" in your case, which is going to be a rare problem.

A number of our members have purchased refurbished Nikon cameras from Cameta with no problems, and they usually have a very low shutter count, too.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Semantics. ;-)

Same thing either way (they're checked over for problems and repackaged). See the text in the listings for them explaining that. Would you rather they didn't check them over for problems?
No, I'd rather Cameta would not play with words.

Quote:
Here's a quote from a listing for one:

"What is a Nikon Factory Demo?

A Nikon Factory Demo is an item that has been thoroughly inspected and tested by Nikon USA to meet all original Manufacturer's specifications. All items have minimal to no use, and cosmetically are in mint or near-mint condition. Each item is in BRAND NEW operating condition and is covered by a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY on all parts and labor by Cameta Camera."
What does "in BRAND NEW operating condition" mean? The camera is either in operating or non-operating condition. Haw can you determine what is considered NEW? Have you ever heard of "OLD operating condition"? The unit may be new or old but operationally speaking, either it is or isn't operational.

Quote:
Semantics. Of course, it's refurbished. ;-)
Well, if it was obvious that Demo meant "refurbished", I'd not have bought it. To me it was not obvious at all. I did not realize that until I received the camera in this plain white box written REFURBISHED on it.

Quote:
A refurbished camera is one that's been tested by the manufacturer to make sure it works as a new camera and repackaged. Again, see the text about them in their listings.
That's part of it. There are many different scenarios that qualify a product as being refurbished. It could be a unit returned by a customer simply because he/she did not like the ergonomics and the store can not resell it. Or it could be a defective product that needed some major repair. In the first case, I'd not have a problem with it but in the second, I would. If repairs were a good thing, manufacturers would give a full year warranty but they only give 90 days. Why is that? The thing is, when they take things to pieces to replace a damaged part, they may break (or weakened) something else in the process and that can become a problem in the long run.

Quote:
That's usually a much better way to buy a camera, since it's been checked over by the manufacturer (as long it's a factory refurbished camera, like the ones Cameta sells are).
You may think so, I certainly don't subscribe to that philosophy. Sure I can experience problems with brand new products but I do believe I have a much higher chance of not getting a lemon than some one buying a refurbish unit. Here's an example, I had a Pentax K100D and got dust on the sensor. Sent to Pentax for cleaning and as a result, the camera never focused properly again. That can happen to a refurbish unit where they fix the broken part and damage something else in the process.

Quote:
So, I wouldn't blame Cameta if you had problems -- ...
I did not blame Cameta for the problem per se. I blame them for playing with the words. Why do you think many eBay sellers explicitly stated that their products are not refurbished? Because they know that the great majority of people (including myself) prefer to buy non-refurbished products. Cameta knows that too, so instead of being open and clearly state that such and such product IS REFURBISHED, they choose to mask that fact by using words such as "Demo".

Quote:
A number of our members have purchased refurbished Nikon cameras from Cameta with no problems, and they usually have a very low shutter count, too.
Do you really think that if every one had a bad experience with them they would still be in business? Of course not. All I said on my very first post in this thread was..."beware of Cameta...make sure the unit you're buying is not a refurbished one". The reason I suggested that is because I'd have very much appreciated if someone had given me a similar advice before I bought from them. At least my choice would be based on pre-existing knowledge that Demo meant Refurbish.

Tullio
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:13 PM   #20
Administrator

They make it obvious in the listings that they're used cameras that have been checked over by Nikon USA.

What they decide to call them is no big deal to me (refurbished versus Sales Demo, etc.). The main thing is that they have been tested by the manufacturer (Nikon USA) to insure they operate as a new camera, and that Cameta offers a one year warranty (versus the 90 Day Warranty you get from Nikon USA).

Some of the other vendors selling them do the same thing (for example, Adorama has a 1 year Warranty on Nikon Refurbished Cameras, even though Nikon's warranty is 90 Days).

If you had not received a "lemon", you would have probably been praising them as having great deals, versus knocking them because you got a camera with a problem (as most of our members, including me, have been very happy with them). ;-)

Issues happen, regardless if a camera is brand new, refurbished, open box, or whatever you want to call it.

Personally, I prefer to buy a Manufacturer refurbished camera when I can find a product being sold that way at a significant discount from a reputable vendor that offers an extended warranty on them (as Cameta does, offering the same 1 year warranty as you'd get with a brand new camera, even though Nikon's warranty is 90 days), especially since their Nikon refurbished cameras typically have a relatively low shutter actuation count from user reports I've seen.