Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2010, 8:07 AM   #1

Default Good deals for Nikon D5000?

Hi,

I'm doing some research for my sister who is planning on getting a D5000. People say that getting a package deal is more cost effective; but I'm a little concerned about the accessories they provide with the package. In particular, the camera case, the extra battery and the memory card. They don't seem to be providing the specifics on these accessory items.

If getting the package deal is more cost effective, here are the items I am looking for:

1) Nikon D5000 (of course)
2) 18-55 mm VR lens
3) 70-200 mm VR lens
4) Camera case
5) Extra battery
6) Memory Card

I saw this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200mm.../dp/B002816O3G

I don't like the case and they don't provide the specifics of the memory card. I am more comfortable buying just the camera + lenses; and the accessories of my choice separately. But its getting expensive. Any good deals you are aware of. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Nev
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 8:34 AM   #2
Administrator

Cameta is a reputable vendor and you're probably not going to do much better on a kit with extra batteries (although I don't know if they're genuine Nikon batteries or aftermarket batteries).

It looks like some of the vendors have a Nikon D5000 two lens kit for $799 right now. Click on buydig.com (a reputable vendor) from our price search engine and you'll see a cart price of $799 for it, even though it's showing up as higher in the price search engine.

http://steves-digicams.pgpartner.com...duct/sv=button

Note that Cameta Camera also sells on Ebay, so you may want to look at their listings there and consider a Nikon USA refurbished camera, too. They show these as "Factory Demos" in their listings. They have a 90 Day Nikon USA Warranty, but Cameta gives you a one year warranty on them. It looks like the two lens kits are running approx. $664 now (plus shipping).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350358523784

See their store for more:

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

The best way to find the two lens kits is to put this in the store search box:

D5000 55-200mm

They're an authorized Nikon USA dealer and offer them both new and refurbished.

Note that you'll want to make sure to buy Nikon gear from an Authorized Nikon dealer, making sure it comes with a Nikon USA Manufacturers Warranty. Many dealers sell gray market gear (not intended for sale in the U.S.), with misleading warranty information in the listings (for example, USA Warranty when they really mean a store warranty versus a Nikon USA Warranty). ;-)

Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera, even if you are willing to pay for the service.

Cameta is reputable (selling Nikon gear that's intended for sale in the U.S.), whereas many other Ebay vendors are not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 8:37 AM   #3

First, that package deal does not include the 70-200 VR lens, but the 55-200 VR lens. I presume that's a typo in your list, but if it's not, say so.

Second, Adorama has the D5000 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses for $847. They also sell the EN-EL9a for $37. B&H sells the D5000 with the 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR lenses for $850 (after rebate and with a Nikon camera bag), and an extra battery for $40. If the battery in the Amazon deal is a genuine Nikon battery, then this is a good deal.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 8:42 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjac View Post
If getting the package deal is more cost effective, here are the items I am looking for:

1) Nikon D5000 (of course)
2) 18-55 mm VR lens
3) 70-200 mm VR lens
P.S.

The lens in that kit is a Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DX type lens with VR, not a 70-200mm with VR.

AFAIK, the only 70-200mm lenses that Nikon currently offers with VR are their 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lenses, with an older version (showing discontinued at some vendors) and newer VR II version available. The latest version sells for over $2000 now.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...ower-Zoom.page

So, you're not going to get a kit with one of those for under $1K, as the lens alone is selling for over $2K now. ;-)
Old May 28, 2010, 8:47 AM   #5
Administrator

I see TCav beat me to it (letting you know that those kits include a 55-200mm versus 70-200mm). :-)
Old May 28, 2010, 9:27 AM   #6

My bad. I meant the 55-200mm lens.

JimC's first link from BuyDig.com has both VR lenses. http://www.buydig.com/shop/basket.as...000KT2&cam=dtc

Its $800 with free shipping. I should be able to get a good Nikon case for $30 (the same one in TCav's B&H deal), memory card for $20 (8 GB, class 6) and a Nikon spare battery for $30. This totally costs $890 (with shipping) and its all the accessories I like. The package deal is $900 for accessories I don't like. Thanks JimC for the deal.

Also, do I really need to get a genuine Nikon battery for a spare battery? I can get cheaper ones for around $10. Do you think it could possibly spoil the camera?

And I don't think my sister will want a refurbished one. Although its more for emotional reasons than objective reasons.

Thanks again for the advice and the links. I too am worried about buying an shady deal. So that's why I thought to stick with Amazon although I don't like the items I'm getting in the deal.

Keep me updated on the deals.

Thanks,
Nev
Old May 28, 2010, 9:31 AM   #7
Administrator

No problem.

Also note that using the listings found by using the Compare Prices link you'll find at the top of pages here also helps to support this site.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:46 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevjac View Post
Also, do I really need to get a genuine Nikon battery for a spare battery? I can get cheaper ones for around $10. Do you think it could possibly spoil the camera?
You'll have to decide, as I have seen reviews of generics showing significant quality difference between some of them before (with some not even including voltage protection circuitry). Now, having said that, I have bought generics for personal use in my cameras before.

If you decide to go that route, I'd check customer reviews for the vendor and battery you're considering to see what others using one have to say about it, to try and reduce the risk of getting a lower quality battery, as you wouldn't want one exploding in your camera or charger. ;-)
Old May 28, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-2000mAh...5058355&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Equivalent-Bat...058355&sr=1-21

The reviews are decent. No alarming cons. What do you think? At the same time, I don't want a camera blowup because I decided to save $25 on a spare battery.

Also with respect to Memory Cards. Does it matter if I get a Class 4 or a Class 6? I could not find any objective reason why a class 6 would be better for a D5000.

Let me know if you come across any other good deals. Right now I'm favoring the BuyDig deal + separate accessories.

Thanks for the help,
Nev
Old May 28, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10

A Class 4 Card can store continuous uninterrupted HD video, but not video and audio. For that, you need a Class 6 card, or just record short clips.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote