Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2010, 5:51 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from Sony F-717

I currently own a Sony F-717 which I have loved and am trying to decide if I should jump to an DSLR or stay with a prosumer. I have looked at the Nikon D5000, Canon G11 and the Canon SX1 IS. I take mostly outdoor portraits and of course family photos of all types. I like the idea of growing into a DSLR but have to admit it intimidates me a little. I have mostly used auto settings with my Sony and have just started venturing into trying the manual settings. Am I better off jumping into a DSLR now and if so is the Nikon D5000 a good SLR to start with?
jslpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 6:45 PM   #2

Based on your Sony F-717 experience, I would venture that a transition to an entry level DSRL camera would be an easy transition, surely there would not be a huge difference in size.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 8:25 PM   #3

The Pentax Kx and the Nikon D-5000 should be near the top of your list.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 28, 2010, 11:43 PM   #4

Default Lenses

If I purchase a Nikon D5000 with a AF-S Zoom Nikkor VR 18-105 and 55-200mm can those lenses be used on a higher end Nikon if I ever choose to upgrade again, say to a Nikon 300s, or would I need to buy new lenses? I really don't know anything about lenses yet.
Old May 29, 2010, 9:21 AM   #5

Those lens are designed for an APS-C size image sensor, so they would work fine on any Nikon APS-C imager camera, but not a full frame Nikon camera without vignetting.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 29, 2010, 1:43 PM   #6

Default Nikon D90 vs. Nikon D5000

So I've pretty much decided to go with a Nikon DSLR thank you for all your info and help.
Now I'm wondering what difference it makes to have the AF motor in the camera or in the lens? The D90 has it in the camera and the D5000 in the lens - is one better than the other and if so why? Is it worth the extra money to get the D90 for that reason. I am unlikely at this point to buy more than two lenses. I'm looking at the 18-105mm and 55-200mm.
Old May 29, 2010, 3:59 PM   #7

I had to made the same decision and I opted for the D-5000, as there are more than 40 lenses available for the D-5000. I have never felt a need for more lenses.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 5:43 PM   #8

Coming from an F717, anything other than a DSLR will get you disappointed for sure. No manufacturer these days makes a P&S the gets even close to the quality of the F717, both in terms of build and specially IQ. It's amazing considering how much technology has evolved. However, the game is to make a camera as small as possible, add as many MP as possible, include as large of a LCD as possible keeping the sensor as small as possible as charge as much as possible. The results? As bad as possible!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 7:03 PM   #9

The Nikon D-5000 is a very capable camera. Here is a shot taken with my D-5000, using the Nikon 55-200mmVR lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2010, 6:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslpratt View Post
I am unlikely at this point to buy more than two lenses. I'm looking at the 18-105mm and 55-200mm.
What strikes me about your choice of lenses is that there is an awful lot of overlap if you're just getting two.

ETA: I should come clean and mention that I just bought a D5000 with the Nikon 35mm prime. As money and the wife allow, I will be getting the Nikon 55-200mm VR and the Sigma 10-20mm. That may not suit your usage, but it makes sense to me. If I had more money, I would have opted for the D90. The big advantage to my mind is the in-camera motor for focusing. There are a lot of nice primes for Nikon cameras, but all of them except the 35mm would require manual focusing on the D5000. But I saw JimC's recommendation of an e-bay certified Nikon dealership camera store, put in what I expected to be a too-low bid on a factory-refurbished D5000, and ended up winning the auction.

Last edited by tclune; May 31, 2010 at 7:53 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote