Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2010, 7:11 PM   #21

jamelvin-

I am happy to hear that you have found a camera (the ZS5) that you really like. You can overcome the wek flash problem rather easily by getting an accessory Slave Flash unit. The one I purchased is a Zeikos brand Slave Flash that cost just $14.95 and it solved the problem nicely.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 8:42 PM   #22

Sarah:
Thanks for the flash post. I never knew that you could use these with p&s cameras. This is a pretty novice question but how does this flash(Zeikos) know when to flash? There is no cable connected to the p&s from the slave flash.
Thanks
Warren83
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:07 PM   #23

That is correct, Warren-

There is no cable connection. The Slave Flash has a light sensitive sensor that fires the Slave Flash. An owing to the very fast speed of light, the synchronization is perfect.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:39 AM   #24

Thanks. I've been very happy with the ZS5 so far.
jamelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:30 AM   #25

Almost bought the Zs5 last night but held off. Just a little concerned about the smaller sensor and low light pics. All in all I marked all the things I like about it and the negative and the positives by far out weight the negative.

Thanks
Warren83
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:37 AM   #26

Warren-

In the low light-pocket size camera category, the undisputed king of the hill is, without a doubt, the Canon S-90. The just recently introduced SD-4000 also has an F 2.0 lens. It too is pocket sized, and is very low light capable as well. So there is another option.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:17 AM   #27
pgh

Hello,

I was just browsing the forums and wanted to add my two cents. The Panasonic Lumix ZS5 is an excellent camera and has good picture quality. Just be sure to have Intelligent ISO set to auto or low for outside shots. I am using it for an easy carry-around camera when I don't want to lug around my Nikon D40 DSLR and zoom lense, etc. You can aslo do HDR with it as it allows for auto-bracketing photos (3 photos taken in quick succession at different exposures).

I had an Olympus 7030 stylus that I bought six months ago on sale at Best Buy for this purpose, but the photos were extremely noisy and lacked color (flat) and you couldn't adjust the saturation or much els eon the camera. The Panasonic allows for some fine-tuning which is excellent. I would stay away from the Olympus, at least the sub-$300 cameras.

I just bought the ZS5 this past weekend, I tried some low-light shots at my nieces' dance recital. The shots are acceptable, and used shutter priority because I couldn't use flash and didn't want much blur. They are acceptable but not perfect. Not images you want to print large. I didn't have much time though to play with the settings or properly set it up. For really low light I normally will use my DSLR just for the F-stops and sensor size. Or adjust the Panny for lower ISO and shutter and use a tripod for landscape at dawn/sunset.

Some of my various pictures testing out the ZS5 can be found here if you are interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/streiff...7624177246224/ , some quick HDR tests just using Corel Photo Paint here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/streiff...7624177214474/ and a few more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/streiff...7624185694608/ . Sorry, they aren't spectacular but some quick shots around the house and city.

I bought mine at Best Buy with a package deal of a small camera bag (I can wear on my belt), an extra battery, and a standard Sandisk 8 GB SDHC card for $350.

I'm looking forward to testing it out and also some HDR up north at some lakes and landscapes, and overlooking the city. Good Luck.

best regards,

PGH
pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 AM   #28

PGH-

Nice work with your new Panasonic ZS5. I especially liked the HDR shots. Nice!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:51 AM   #29

PGH:
Thanks, It always takes me a long time to make a decision. I like to look at all the options and considering that I am seeing a lot of positive reviews in general for the ZS5. I also have a canon DSLR.

Warren83

Last edited by warren83; Jun 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:56 AM   #30

PGH: Awesome pics, by looking at them I am totally leaning towards the ZS5 again.
Thanks for examples
Warren83