Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:34 AM   #61

LTZ470: Thanks!! I remember this post but I could not find it.

Warren83
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:51 AM   #62

I've got a $7 Case Logic hard case from Wal-Mart. It's got a mesh pocket that could fit a couple batteries and respective carabiner and belt clips. The hard sides make it a tough fit for a pocket though I'm not sure any case aside from neoprene would fit in a pocket. (Has anyone seen a good neoprene case that would be the right fit?)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I've got a $7 Case Logic hard case from Wal-Mart. It's got a mesh pocket that could fit a couple batteries and respective carabiner and belt clips. The hard sides make it a tough fit for a pocket though I'm not sure any case aside from neoprene would fit in a pocket. (Has anyone seen a good neoprene case that would be the right fit?)
I use a Zing on my dive belt to hold my TS-1 and a Zing to also hold my Xacti E2,,,they are very decent pouches made by Tiffen...
http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=zing
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:04 AM   #64

Here's one of many photos from yesterday. I have a lot of throwaways from handheld shots as the trail runs through a valley under heavy tree cover. Thanks to Shutter Priority and a Gorilla Pod though, I have a number of keepers as well.

Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:05 PM   #65

Going for a mere $222 at Amazon, the ZS5 seems to be a great value for the money. However, for another $17 (limited time only) you can get the ZS6 from Costco, which offers manual controls and a better LCD than the ZS5. I wouldn't worry too much about the flash. The ZSn has custom modes you can use to save your own settings. I have one of the settings saved for flash: flash forced ON, ISO 400, WB set to flash, flash output +0.3 and NR set to +1 to keep noise under total control. I've obtained some real decent indoor results with this setting. If you need more flash power, you can either increase the output to +0.7 or the ISO to 800 + NR to +2. I'd go with option 1 to avoid high ISO noise and smudging from the NR.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Going for a mere $222 at Amazon, the ZS5 seems to be a great value for the money. However, for another $17 (limited time only) you can get the ZS6 from Costco, which offers manual controls and a better LCD than the ZS5. I wouldn't worry too much about the flash. The ZSn has custom modes you can use to save your own settings. I have one of the settings saved for flash: flash forced ON, ISO 400, WB set to flash, flash output +0.3 and NR set to +1 to keep noise under total control. I've obtained some real decent indoor results with this setting. If you need more flash power, you can either increase the output to +0.7 or the ISO to 800 + NR to +2. I'd go with option 1 to avoid high ISO noise and smudging from the NR.
Thanks Tullio
I will enter the custom mode and try to figure out how to enter these settings. I am new to the ZS7 since I just got it 2 days ago.
Warren83
warren83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:59 PM   #67

What you do is set the camera to P mode, then make the adjustments I suggested to ISO, flash output, forced flash, WB and NR. Then save to the custom mode you wish (C1-C3). Once it's saved, make sure you reset the P mode to your original settings (whatever that may be). To access the custom modes, turn the mode dial to Cust and choose C1-C3 setting.

Tullio
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The ZSn has custom modes you can use to save your own settings. I have one of the settings saved for flash: flash forced ON, ISO 400, WB set to flash, flash output +0.3 and NR set to +1 to keep noise under total control. I've obtained some real decent indoor results with this setting. If you need more flash power, you can either increase the output to +0.7 or the ISO to 800 + NR to +2. I'd go with option 1 to avoid high ISO noise and smudging from the NR.
Where is there an option for flash output? AFAIK, Panasonic has no such option on the ZS series though I would love one. Also, where is there a WB option for flash? I have this on my Sony I believe but not on my ZS7.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:15 AM   #69

You're right, FiveO, the ZS does not have those options. I got confused with the FZ28.

Tullio
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:21 AM   #70

Tulio I used all the settings you gave (that were possible on the ZS7) and it did give me some very nice flash shots...I saved to C1...thanks for the tip...it does work on the ZS7...Have you tried setting the WB Manual under WB Set?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote