Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31, 2010, 5:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

I disagree with TCav about the Tamron 70-300 being "as good or better" as the Pentax DA 55-300. It is better than the Pentax 50-200, which I do agree isn't very good (at least the one I used to own wasn't very good). The 70-300 is a nice lens that has a good reputation and well worth the cost, but I've seen a whole bunch of comparison shots between the two lenses (Tamron 70-300 and Pentax 55-300) and think that the Pentax is as sharp as the Tamron and has much less purple fringing and CA, making it a superior lens. I thought enough more of the Pentax to buy the version sold separately over the Tamron. And it's significantly more than the Tamron, more than the DA-L version sold with the K-x.

The 55-300 that comes in the kit with the K-x is a light version of the lens that Pentax sells separately. It's optically the same as the regular version of the lens but is missing a couple of features, the most obvious one being the lack of a lens hood (a nice thing to have, but not strictly necessary in my opinion. Others won't use a lens without one). The 55-300 adds around $210 (at least at B&H) to the cost of the Kx and 18-55 kit, the Tamron 70-300 is cheaper at $164, not a huge price difference.

Since you mention wildlife, you will definitely want something longer than the 18-55 kit lens, which is really short for wildlife. So either the Tamron 70-300 or Pentax 55-300 should be high on your list of priorities.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
...The Canon has a better selection of lenses and accessories than the Pentax, ...
Humm, I'm not sure I agree with your statement, TCav. Pentax has a huge selection of lenses and not only they are ALL compatible, meaning they will all fit on any Pentax body (the Canon FD and older lenses won't mount on current Canon bodies) but they all benefit from the IBIS. The same can not be said about the Canon.
__________________

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jun 1, 2010 at 2:30 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
...The Canon system is a more mature system ...
Mark, can you elaborate on that? What exactly you mean by "more mature system"? The Pentax system has been around for a very long time. I agree that until they came up with the K100D a few years ago, their models did not draw much attention. However, they've been producing some very good cameras lately. Sure there are differences between Canon and Pentax but not all favor the Canons and they don't really translate into any level of "maturity". In fact, when it comes to old lenses, the Pentax system is much superior since just about every K-mount lens will fit on any Pentax body. The same can not be said about Canon lenses/bodies. Just my 2c.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Humm, I'm not sure I agree with your statement, TCav. Pentax has a huge selection of lenses and not only they are ALL compatible, meaning they will all fit on any Pentax body (the Canon FD and older lenses won't mount on current Canon bodies) but they all benefit from the IBIS. The same can not be said about the Canon.
Even if we do include all the pre-autofocus Pentax lenses, and we exclude all the Canon mounts prior to the current EF and EF-S mounts, asside from the fact that Canon has more new lenses to choose from than Pentax, KEH.com, for example, lists 349 used lenses for Canon EOS camera bodies, but only 26 AF and 100 MF lenses for Pentax dSLRs.

So I'm comfortable saying that a Canon dSLR has a better selection of both new and used lenses than a Pentax dSLR.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:56 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

I shoot both the T1i and the Pentax K-x both lens kit are good, but the Pentax 300mm lens if a faster focusing lens then the canon 250mm lens. Both lenses are very sharp at the long end, but the 300mm gives you the added reach. Both are great camera, and I so it comes down to which one fits you ergos better. Lenses, there are more canon lenses. But you can find pretty much a equal for the pentax to the mid grade canon lenses with pentax, sigma and tamron lenses. Just the lower end lenses you will not find many pentax equivalent lenses.

Here is a low light comparison between the pentax k-x and the canon T1i.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
...KEH.com, for example, lists 349 used lenses for Canon EOS camera bodies, but only 26 AF and 100 MF lenses for Pentax dSLRs....
Well, that could indicate something else. It could be that more Canon users want to get rid of their old equipment for one reason or another.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:33 PM   #17
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Mark, can you elaborate on that? What exactly you mean by "more mature system"? The Pentax system has been around for a very long time. I agree that until they came up with the K100D a few years ago, their models did not draw much attention. However, they've been producing some very good cameras lately. Sure there are differences between Canon and Pentax but not all favor the Canons and they don't really translate into any level of "maturity". In fact, when it comes to old lenses, the Pentax system is much superior since just about every K-mount lens will fit on any Pentax body. The same can not be said about Canon lenses/bodies. Just my 2c.
Let me include the rest of what I said which already said what you've said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Between your two options there is little to choose in quality. The Canon system is a more mature system with great lens options, the Pentax has lots of good options as well including a many older compatible lenses.
To elaborate on this, I'm talking about the availability of new lenses for the system. About twice as many lenses are available from Canon than from Pentax, although 3rd party is about the same. Another maturity area is just the time that Canon has been in the dSLR market, they have a more advanced AF system when it comes to focus tracking which is a benefit for sports and wildlife so I'm happy in saying that the Canon system is more mature.

Please don't take quotes out of context to try to create debate or argument, it's not helpful.
__________________
[SIZE=1][SIZE=2]Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:47 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Well, that could indicate something else. It could be that more Canon users want to get rid of their old equipment for one reason or another.
... and it could also mean that Canon users like their gear so much that they hang onto it until they die, and these were all picked up at estate sales.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:14 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... and it could also mean that Canon users like their gear so much that they hang onto it until they die, and these were all picked up at estate sales.
See!?! There are many ways to interpret the data.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:22 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
...
Please don't take quotes out of context to try to create debate or argument, it's not helpful.
I wasn't trying to create any debate or argument, Mark. Nor was I trying to take things out of context. I was simply trying to understand the meaning of the word "mature". Pentax is a very old, traditional photography company and although I haven't done any in-depth research, I believe they've been in the digital arena just as long as Canon has. The thing is, they made a very poor switch from film to digital. In the process, they lost respect and a large fan base as people felt very disappointed with their digital products (and within reason). Now granted, Canon has a much larger line of digital cameras than Pentax, in every segment of the market. Perhaps that can be seen as a level of maturity? Anyway, I do appreciate your explanation.
__________________

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.