Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Taking the leap to dslr for my honeymoon and desparately need advice

Im currently locked between two kits I was either going to go with the Pentax K-X D-SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens & 55-300mm Lens which is priced at $729 or i was considering jumping up to Canon EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens & EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens Kit which is priced at $899. Should i kick out the extra money for the canon or stick with the pentax. Im new to all this would eventually invest in better lenses and would like to shoot wildlife, landscape and random disney stuff that my wife puts me too shoot on our honeymoon. Please help whatever advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I mean honestly is there that big a difference in camera quality?

Last edited by Sora; May 31, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2010, 1:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi, welcome to Steve's and congratulations on your pending marriage. How far off is the big day and what experience do you have in photography? The reason I ask is that getting good shots with a dSLR isn't as simple as with a superzoom or something so it is worth investing some time into learning your kit prior to the honeymoon so you can capture everything you desire. My wedding is in 11 days and I will be taking a Panasonic FT2 underwater point and shoot as well as one of my dSLRs and a lens or two.

Between your two options there is little to choose in quality. The Canon system is a more mature system with great lens options, the Pentax has lots of good options as well including a many older compatible lenses. You are likely to meet many people and friends who shoot Canon, this can be a good thing as borrowing/sharing kit and getting advice can be good, with the Pentax, it is less likely. This point shouldn't be something to base the decision on but worth considering if you know people with cameras.

The main thing that puts me off with the Pentax is that when you look into the viewfinder it doesn't show you where the camera is focusing. This can, not saying will, but can create problems. If you don't know where the camera is focusing you can't be sure that you get what you desire in focus. There is a selector which shows you but not at the time of shooting. However, for the price, is this feature going to be key that you will have to decide.

I would suggest both you and your fiancee go and play with the two options to see what you like best in the hand as this can also be important. Play with the menus etc to see which will be easier to live with.

Here at Steve's we have a hugely passionate section of Pentax shooters so advice is never far away if you go that route.

I will go back to the first point, be sure you have time to get used to a new camera prior to something so important.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:05 PM   #3

Tough call. The Canon is slightly better at wildlife, but not with the 55-250. The Pentax is slightly better at landscape. The Canon has a better selection of lenses and accessories than the Pentax, but the Pentax has image stabilization in the camera body. There isn't much that, given what you said, would make me pick one over the other, but if you go with the Canon, and want to go into wildlife photography, I think the 55-250 might end up being a waste of money, unless you think you've got an immediate use for it.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 1:10 PM   #4

I'll second what Mark1616 said about both you and your fiancée trying them out, and that you get some practice in before you need to take the photos that will become keepsakes.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'll second what Mark1616 said

You can call me just Mark now
Old May 31, 2010, 1:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
You can call me just Mark now
Ok "just Mark now".
Old May 31, 2010, 1:29 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Before I posted that I thought this could be the way things would go....... LOL.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi, welcome to Steve's and congratulations on your pending marriage. How far off is the big day and what experience do you have in photography? The reason I ask is that getting good shots with a dSLR isn't as simple as with a superzoom or something so it is worth investing some time into learning your kit prior to the honeymoon so you can capture everything you desire. My wedding is in 11 days and I will be taking a Panasonic FT2 underwater point and shoot as well as one of my dSLRs and a lens or two.

Between your two options there is little to choose in quality. The Canon system is a more mature system with great lens options, the Pentax has lots of good options as well including a many older compatible lenses. You are likely to meet many people and friends who shoot Canon, this can be a good thing as borrowing/sharing kit and getting advice can be good, with the Pentax, it is less likely. This point shouldn't be something to base the decision on but worth considering if you know people with cameras.

The main thing that puts me off with the Pentax is that when you look into the viewfinder it doesn't show you where the camera is focusing. This can, not saying will, but can create problems. If you don't know where the camera is focusing you can't be sure that you get what you desire in focus. There is a selector which shows you but not at the time of shooting. However, for the price, is this feature going to be key that you will have to decide.

I would suggest both you and your fiancee go and play with the two options to see what you like best in the hand as this can also be important. Play with the menus etc to see which will be easier to live with.

Here at Steve's we have a hugely passionate section of Pentax shooters so advice is never far away if you go that route.

I will go back to the first point, be sure you have time to get used to a new camera prior to something so important.
The big day is July 17th and were skating off to disneyworld the day after. As far as expierience goes i have never touched a dslr and i dont know anybody with one either. Thanks for all the opinions so far guys I appreciate it. Im still unsure which one to get it seems to be a real toss up. Also as far as the pentax 55-300mm Lens is it worth the extra money because the regular kit is about 200 less.
Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 2:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post
... Also as far as the pentax 55-300mm Lens is it worth the extra money because the regular kit is about 200 less.
Neither the Pentax 50-200 nor the Pentax 55-300 are particularly good, but the 55-300 is better. But if you're serious about wanting a telephoto zoom, the Tamron 55-200 Di II LD and 70-300 Di LD are as good or better, and they're cheaper. And they'd be stabilized on a Pentax body.

Last edited by TCav; May 31, 2010 at 2:23 PM.
Old May 31, 2010, 2:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Before I posted that I thought this could be the way things would go....... LOL.
On the one hand, I'm glad I didn't disappoint you.

But on the other, I hate being predictable.