Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11

Default reviews also atest to the HX5V's IQ

Hi, funny that by virtue of only posting a few posts I'm deemed untruthful (so after a 100 or so I guess I'll be deemed more honest, hope so). As I mentioned in my previous mail there are quite a few reviews that rate the HX5V IQ as great. Photographyblog 4.5/5 whatdigitalcamera 18/20 the and the link I provided for dpreview is very useful to compare about 12 dfferent camera's to the HX5 i.t.o IQ and low light. I will post a few pics to
jostian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostian View Post
Hi, funny that by virtue of only posting a few posts I'm deemed untruthful (so after a 100 or so I guess I'll be deemed more honest, hope so).
As LT already stated, post a couple side-by-side-comparisons of full-size, untouched photos with EXIF intact. It is not so much your number of posts but rather the claim that your findings have been the opposite of everyone else's. The HX5 is virtually always ranked 2nd when lined up against another competitor in the same class (ZS7, FH100, etc) so it would be quite the strike against the FZ35 is the HX5V has IQ even close to it when viewed at full size.

Quote:
the link I provided for dpreview is very useful to compare about 12 dfferent camera's to the HX5 i.t.o IQ and low light.
That is against other travel zooms only and only in low light. I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it performs well in low light amongst other cameras in its class.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:24 PM   #13

Default comparative photos HX5 and FZ35

HI, I uploaded a few photos from both, the numbers coinside with objects (FZ35 1 photo is the same object as the HX5 1 photo) with a few other HX5 photos added, http://public.me.com/jostian I think the noise in the flash shots is very apparent in the FZ35, detail looks good on both but again I give the edge to the sony...my 5 cents worth
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:33 PM   #14

Nice try Jostian...I downloaded the pic's to my computer...pixel peeping the photos the HX5 does what it does best smear the noise...no details at all...I would rather have noise with details any day...take time to look at some of the shots made with the ZS7 and the FZ35 in my reply then mimick those shots with the HX5...you'll see a lot smearer...I mean clearer....

And no we did not even mention untruthful...maybe misguided, but not untruthful as you may like the smearing of the HX5 and I may like the details, but noise of the FZ35, so it's about personal preferences in the end...

Even the shots I took inside with the ZS7 is about what we as average people will be shooting...I.E. Party or Dinner...if it is in a dark place then I take the 7D or the S90...not saying the HX5 is all bad I just wasn't getting the percentage of keepers I wanted and it didn't really perform well in any one area...

Last edited by LTZ470; Jul 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 1:42 PM   #15

HI FiveO one can choose about 12 camera's (it doesnt just show the travel zoom cam's, the S90 is there, the FZ38 (35) is there too, etc) from the drop down the HX5 wins the low light but it also ranks in the top 2 for normal jpeg IQ (above the FZ38 (35) even. I had a look at the detail at 100% crop (HX5V photo 5 vs the FZ35 photo 5 from my link) of the heater grid and I really dont see that the detail is any worse than the FZ35, whereas the noise levels are really bad in the FZ35 pics compared to the HX5, sorry but I just dont see the detail as being any better or worse in the photos. The photos of the wine bottle and goblet without flash are a case in point, the HX5 is way ahead of the FZ35. apparently its only me though, but thats cool, we'll agree to disagree, make no mistake the FZ35 is bril I love it to death and the amount of control, creative options, RAW and photo IQ are excellent.

Last edited by jostian; Jul 7, 2010 at 2:04 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:22 PM   #16

I think that the loss of detail at high crop % is more due to the 2 megapixel deficit, so pixelpeeping will show evidence of that.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I think that the loss of detail at high crop % is more due to the 2 megapixel deficit, so pixelpeeping will show evidence of that.
I looked at the #5's Jostian...check out the tennis shoes and the rug details comparision...a little more light maybe a reshot with the FZ Flash or and overhead light on...window curtain open and you would see how well the FZ35 captures...didn't look as if the flash is firing properly to me maybe the batteries are low?...still not a bad pic with the HX5, just too much smearing in the details for me...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:02 PM   #18

To see the loss of detail one has to go way past 100% crop, up to 100% it really negligable, whereas the noise is quite heavy in the FZ35 shot, but I get and see your point, though I think its more a case of running out of pixels as high crop % and not so much a smearing of detail, I think the detail just aint there when u go beyond 100% crop.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:37 PM   #19

Yes we will have to agree to disagree. I currently own an HX5V and the details are sometimes lost even at 4x6 print sizes. I don't care about 100% as I think it's totally unrealistic to be concerned with pixel peeping a travel zoom camera. Unfortunately, the mediocre lens and the poor processing on the HX5V result in too many ruined shots for my tastes. The chip is fairly capable but Sony ruined the final package with the lens and the processing. It is by no means a bad camera. I simply think that its daylight images are behind a number of competitors and I have little use for low light.

Much like LTZ470, I would rather have the noise than the excessive NR. I can clean up the noise in Photoshop using software with a much better NR algorhythm than the HX5V and in the end, I will have a better result. I am not speaking about low light but rather just noise vs excessive NR.

I checked out 4 of your pics anyway and I only see low light photos. At base ISO, I still think the FZ35 would kill the HX5V.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:51 AM   #20

I'm yet to see the detail loss you mention at anything up to 100% crops (and beyond, but then it becomes an issue of pixel peeping). I'll do some outdoor shots and compare and upload them. The HX5V uses the G lens as opposed to the standard Zeiss lens' used in Sony's P+S cam's, the G lens is Sony's Professional optics range only used in its DSLR's (till now), so its strange that you say the lens is rubbish.

Last edited by jostian; Jul 8, 2010 at 1:53 AM.