Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostian View Post
I'm yet to see the detail loss you mention at anything up to 100% crops (and beyond, but then it becomes an issue of pixel peeping). I'll do some outdoor shots and compare and upload them. The HX5V uses the G lens as opposed to the standard Zeiss lens' used in Sony's P+S cam's, the G lens is Sony's Professional optics range only used in its DSLR's (till now), so its strange that you say the lens is rubbish.
You sound like an advertisement. The Zeiss lens on the TX7 is better than the G Lens on the HX5V. I am not commenting about the G lens range - I am commenting on the HX5V lens specifically. I don't need to read a review to see the lens craps out halfway through the zoom range. You can look in the HX5V thread here even and see the comments about the lens.

The detail loss, smearing, excessive NR .. whatever you want to call it .. is also well documented in both reviews and more so in owner reviews here and at dpreview. If you don't mind it, that's great. Unfortunately, many people do mind it and it's the #1 reason for returns on that camera.

You can even look at dpreview's own shot at only 18mm. Check the last pic in the slideshow. Brick detail is gone even viewing at the reduced size.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/re...ples/slideshow

While we're on the topic, check the 2nd image - the panorama. Look at the effects of the uncorrected barrel distortion. The low resolution already hurts it and then the barrel distortion makes it something I wouldn't even post on the web. It's a great feature and it's amazing how easy it to use and how well it does - but the end result is crap.

Look at the 8th image - the barn. Even at the reduced size, the grass is essentially a blob. The camera's NR system though it was noise - poof.

No point in further discussion. The majority disagree with your opinion of the IQ and NR but at the end of the day, all that matters is that you are happy with it. These discussions are so old now that there's nothing that hasn't been said 1000x anyway. Good luck with it.

Last edited by FiveO; Jul 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:00 AM   #22

you sound like a HX5V basher...panorama's are not shot at full res...only at about 3 megapixel (the isweep panorama function is a fun gimmick). There is NOT A SINGLE review on ANY site that rates the TX7's IQ as better than the HX5V!! so forgive me for not buying that one. and I can promise you, I can go to any gallery of any camera and find bad shots, try this (S90) http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...sample_images/ check out the photos of the squirrel and the horses (absolute junk, so much detail loss and blotchiness), one can find bad photos for any camera. but yes lets agree to disagree, I'll enjoy my HX5 and my FZ35 and you enjoy your cam's, that is afterall what its about.
jostian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:16 AM   #23

see this image from the S90 image gallery, check out the loss of detail in the trees in the right of the frame, the water doesn't look great either http://img.photographyblog.com/revie...hot_s90_06.jpg I'm not saying that the S90 aint great, I think its the benchmark in general IQ across the whole P+S range (except for low light, which it does well in too, but not great), I just want to say that sensor limitations not withstanding, poor images for every camera can be found because not a single cam can handle every real world situation well, the S90 does better than most, but the HX5 aint half bad either.

Last edited by jostian; Jul 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:19 PM   #24

I said better lens and there is plenty that has been said about that. Ask away on dpreview.

I have stated repeatedly that I own an HX5V.

It's simply a subjective matter of what one person finds acceptable vs what another person finds acceptable. There are too many situations in which I don't find the end result acceptable.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:26 PM   #25

FiveO, yes you might own an HX5V but did you learn the camera properly, check out this guys HX5V shots on Pbase.

http://www.pbase.com/frank_b/sony_hx5v

It is obvious that this guy is a talented photographer, but demonstrates what the HX5V is capable of, this camera is no where as bad as your trying to push here on "what camera to buy"

No I don't own an HX5V, I am more than happy with my Sony W300 which of coarse has the larger 1/1.8" sensor, but had a play with my sons HX5V for a few hours and found it would suit most users as the sales for this camera has shown.
have a nice day
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:32 PM   #26

If I were to backtrack I would go with the Canon SD4000 as it has the same sensor as the Sony HX5 (with a better lens to boot)...I shot the HX5 also and can some one post some Macros that are good?...how about a red rose with details?...or a white flower in bright sunlight?...I couldn't even get a good macro out of it I guess I just didn't take the time to learn it well enough, but the settings are really limited on it...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:13 PM   #27

check the link above I gave FiveO, there are flower shots there as well as a lot of varied stuff, EXIF's are attached which I note yourself, FiveO and Mtclimber dont add to your shots.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:27 PM   #28

LTZ470 the SD4000 no thanks, great image quality but pathetic zoom 3.8x and rubbish burst mode of just over 3 fps compared to 10x optical and 10 fps, and only 720p video, no thanks I'll take my HX5...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:31 PM   #29

Wow Wirraway some superb photos, an inspiration to all us HX5 owners as to what we can achieve...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirraway View Post
check the link above I gave FiveO, there are flower shots there as well as a lot of varied stuff, EXIF's are attached which I note yourself, FiveO and Mtclimber dont add to your shots.
I did look at them and smeared some of them are and some are great shots and HOW MUCH post processing did it take?..the pizza oven is defintely soft/smeared and several others if you take time to look...I just did not get enough keepers to convince me and yes it could be my skills...there are plenty of EXIF's on my shots here you just didn't look hard enough and if you want EXIF for any of my shots just ask which ones and I'll be happy to post for you...not a problem...if you and Jostian will post the shots I asked for with the HX5V I will be glad to be convinced...until then...Macros of a Red Rose, White Flower, with all the details and none smeared or blown out that was the problem I couldn't solve with the HX5...

All the pictures you see of mine will have slight sharpening, shadows lighten or darkened, and cropped about 5 secs a photo that's it with Windows Photo Gallery not even an aftermarket software...

I like'em SOOC with no PP at all is my preference...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote