Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2010, 6:26 PM   #1

Default Image Quality. Where is it gone? Advice please..

Iīm wondering about something thatīs probably been discussed lotīs of times.. Image quality.
Iīm just an happy amateur but i will try to describe something that almost makes me give up.

I have been thinking of buying a new camera for a while now since my wonderful good old Powershot A80 has gone to meet his maker, and my horrible Ixus 70 (SD1000) is just getting more horrible.

During the last week i have spent atleast 40 hours reading reviews and comparing images, only to find that no compact camera of today can deliver the same image quality as my old Powershot A80 did..!
Look at the samples from Steves own review of the A80, then you will know what i mean:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...80-review.html

I know about the issue "too many pixels vs. too small sensor", but the sample pictures from
most new compact cameras are like a a bad joke.
Smeared and noisy with dull colors, and it often looks like someone waxed the lens with vaseline...
Why??

Can anyone please help me, and give me advice where to find the A80 of today. And IF itīs possible to find it at all...

Thankīs for "listening" to a confused Swede..
Laplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2010, 7:03 PM   #2

Laplander-

The Canon A-80 was a great camera. Unfortunately there is not a similar camera in the Canon line-up that offers the same simplicity, excepting one that I can think of: the SD-1200.

Although it is physically smaller than the A-80 because people seem to want very small cameras today, it does offer that same easy, simplicity that you were used to with the A-80. Please take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:26 PM   #3

I'm a big Canon fan and I agree that we've go too many MP on tony sensors now. However, I think the Panasonic ZS series and even my Canon SD870 look better than the samples from that A80.

You can always knock down the MP on the new cam as well. How well this works varies by model but it works wonders on the Fuji cams for example.

Last edited by FiveO; May 31, 2010 at 9:33 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:41 PM   #4

Laplander-

Here is a SD-1200 photo sample for you.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...56_feS4X-L.jpg
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplander View Post
I know about the issue "too many pixels vs. too small sensor", but the sample pictures from
most new compact cameras are like a a bad joke.
Smeared and noisy with dull colors, and it often looks like someone waxed the lens with vaseline...
Why??
I agreed with just about everything you said but more so with this statement. The new generation of compact cameras is a joke. Yes, they packed lots of MP, yes their lenses can have very long reach, yes the LCD looks beautiful and they have GPS (wow...how about that?!?) and they fit on the palm of your hand and let's not forget, they come in many different colors!!! Ah, how about the Baby/Baby 2 presets among a list of 25+ others? However, in the end, IQ is compromised. The worse part is, people are happy with them, they understand the limitations and are willing to compromise IQ for size and all these features that have nothing to do with it. The good old days of the Canon A80 and the Sony V series are gone. I had a Sony V3 and I can say that its IQ was far superior than just about any P&S currently available. Yes, it had it's flaws like slow AF and no image stabilization, a bit bulky but it was a very advanced camera for its time. So much so that people still want them.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jun 1, 2010 at 3:13 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6

Tullio make a very good point-

The used camera market has received a positive jolt on interest, because today's crop of cameras has jazzy features but less image quality than a lot of the very fine older cameras. Those "collector" cameras have actually gone up in price over the last year.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:17 PM   #7

FYI. There are a few Canon Powershot A-80 on ebay for about Ģ70/$70.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...Those "collector" cameras have actually gone up in price over the last year.
Sarah Joyce
Yes, quite a bit actually. In the process of looking for a compact camera w/ decent zoom (10x+), I came across the Ricoh CX3 as a viable option. After doing some research on it, I started to realize that the very first CX1 has a better record than the CX2/CX3. It's the same with the Panasonic ZS3 and ZS7. The ZS3 got better reviews than the ZS7 in terms of IQ, even though the ZS7 has a lot more features.

Tullio
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:32 PM   #9

Tullio-

Interestingly enough the Ricoh CX1 is still available brand new at $200.00. And, ready for this? It have an LCD with 920,000 pixels, the same as the much heralded Nikon D-90 LCD.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:26 AM   #10

Where did you find the CX1 for $200? Yes, I did noticed that the LCD is twice as good as the ZS7. The only thing about the CX1 is the shorter lens. I really wish I could find more on those CXn cameras, though.

Tullio