Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:36 AM   #1

Default Canon 50D

Hi All

I currently own a Canon 30D and mainly shoot indoor sports, not professionally but enthusiacally for my family. I have a 70-200mm f2.8, 85mm f 1.8, 17-85mm kit lens and 50mm f1.8.
I have been offered a nearly new 50D at a great price and really want to go for this body, can somebody please help me with my decesion.
I am aware of the MP and ISO advantages of the 50D but would greatly appreciate some experience of prefereably another photog that has done this upgrade from 30D to 50D.
Could you also please confirm that my 30D Canon battery grip and my batteries will also be useable on the 50D.

Regards Neil
baller85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2010, 5:48 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The BG-E2 which you have will not work with the 40D or 50D as far as I'm aware. With the launch of the 40D Canon made a new grip, the BG-E2N which is backwards compatible to the older models. Not sure exactly why this is.

Depending on the price, the 50D might be worth the jump, but I would be holding out for a 7D or wait and see what the next xxD will bring to the table.

I have a 30D in my lineup as well as some higher end bodies including the 7D and 1DmkIII. The AF on the 7D is a leap ahead of the 30D and 50D, coming very close to the 1DmkIII.

What is the limiting factor with your 30D that is making you want to change?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Mark, many thanks for your reply, I will do my best to explain.
Factor No1 is cost (I can hear you cringing already, but it is a big factor for me).
Factor No2, I nearly always shoot at ISO1600 so surely the extra pixels will help me with the high end ISO grain ?
Factor No3 was keeping the battery grip, (how sure are you that the BG-E2 is not compatable) so now I am not too sure !!
Factor No4 is that I have read that the 50D AF is more accurate than the 30D although reading your comments on the speed of the 7D AF your making me think about spending money I do not have !!

Regards Neil
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm 95% sure about the battery grip situation. As for the improvements in quality, more pixels are not actually better than less as you are making the individual pixels on the CMOS smaller which adds noise. If someone built an 8mp camera now like the 30D it would be lovely in regards to low noise thanks to improved technology. With the 15mp of the 50D noise is about the same or actually slightly worse than the 30D.

Have a look at this information.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...rand2%29/Canon

Also you can see samples of the 30D and 50D at these two links and you have different ISOs etc.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-9.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-9.html

I wasn't aware of any real major AF change with the 50D but one thing you do get is the ability to shoot higher ISOs that the 30D just can't offer. This can be a bonus.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5

Mark

Many thanks for your answers, I greatly appreciate your time (still have not decided though !!)

Regards Neil
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller85 View Post
Mark

Many thanks for your answers, I greatly appreciate your time (still have not decided though !!)

Regards Neil
You are welcome. Hope it helped and didn't add confusion. Let us know if there is anything else.