Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:07 AM   #1

Default Help Me - HX5V, ZS7 or Other?

I have been reading a lot on the forums with all the great advice. I have been reading a lot about these two cameras but still don't know what to chose.
I read here that the ZS7 doesn't do well with indoor shots and I haven't seen many indoor sample photos especially people shots with either camera. I would say about 50% of my pics would be indoor at family gatherings and of grandchildren. My price range is $350 but would go a little higher. My last camera was a Canon Powershot A70 and it took sharp photos. I have bought a few new cameras in the past few years and have returned them because the pics weren't sharp at all. GPS in not really important to me, just an extra. The same with panoramic, but I could have fun with it Simple would be good, if I have to change to manual settings all the time I tend to loose my shot. Any recommendations of these cameras or another to recommend? I am looking for -

Good indoor shots
10x Zoom
HD video with zoom
Good macro would be good but not necessary
Pocket size or just a little larger
$350 range

Are there any examples of indoor video using zoom with these two cameras? Thanks for your help,

Karen
karenlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:43 AM   #2

Hi there Karen-

Welcome to the Forum. My suggestion would be to give serious consideration to either the Panasonic ZS5 or the ZS6, which is available at Costco. That way you do away with the GPS while still getting HD video.

The Canon SX-210 has a lens show in the right hand corner of every photo taken at 1 meter (3.27 feet) or less and using the flash. It is also a physically larger camera.
The Sony HX5 is a good camera but it struggles in maintaining it White Balance making the colors go askew a bit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3

For indoor shots I would go with the Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3. If you want video, that leaves you with the LX3 and if you want the zoom, that leaves you with neither. The HX5V has slightly better indoor performance than the ZS7 in terms of noise and color retention. However, the AWB (auto white balance) is terrible indoors on the Sony so you would need to manually set WB indoors. Indoor video with both the ZS7 and HX5V is terrible indoors. Indoor video on $1000 dedicated camcorders is mediocre at best indoors as well.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 4:22 PM   #4

Across the table ZS7:

Two Chairs down:

Two Chairs down zoom:

Group with Flash:
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. Great Pics LTZ470!

Wondering what are the differences besides price in the zs7, zs5, zs3, I have read a lot of all 3 of these cameras. Which is smaller?

Karen
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:15 PM   #6

These all look like flash shots. When you were referring to good indoor shooting did you mean flash or no flash. If with flash. The ZS7, ZS5, and ZS3 are good options. But if you are also considering no flash indoor the LX3 or S90 will perform better, but you give up the longer zoom.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:18 PM   #7

I can add a little to this. I got the ZS3 after seeing the images posted here. I got it for a carry-around for quick, P&S shots. It is superb. I have had P&S cameras in the past and got rid of all of them because they just didn't fill the bill. The ZS3 more than satisfies me. It's a keeper.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:15 AM   #8

I was referring to indoor shooting with flash. I might consider a slightly smaller zoom.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:58 AM   #9

karen-

Panasonic cameras are not noted for their powerful built-in flash units. Though the ZS7 is better than the ZS3 in terms of flash power. I have come to expect a 6 to 8 foot Flash Range with my Panasonic camera. Flash Range is simply the distance from camera to subject measured in feet.

I purchased a simple Zeikos brand Slave Flash for $14.95 that boosts the light output nicely. Whenever I have a larger family group or when the Flash Range exceeds 6 feet, I just attach the Slave Flash and the problem is handled nicely. I have attached a photo showing the Slave Flash attached to my Panasonic ZR-1.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:47 AM   #10

mtclimber, thanks for the advice on the slave flash, I do not think I would carry it with me but it could come in handy for special occasions.
I have read in some reviews of the zs7 of jerky zooming and was wondering if anyone had this problem.
Also a question about ordering online since I can't find these cameras in any store in my area. Any info on returns when ordering from Amazon? Restocking fees on opened package?
Thanks,
Karen