Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Default Canon s-90 or panasonic zs 7

hi all.
now my friend is inspired by me and want to buy a new cam.but his budget is not allowing him to buy a dslr.so he must stay satisfied with a point and shoot....now as he informed me,he would like to take close up shots most of the time.....portrait is not a priority.he likes macro,b&w and landscapes.and good low light performance is a must.the pictures must come out nicely saturated and colorful(crisp).i dont know whether i was able to describe what he would like to shoot mostly.so now its upto u all to suggest him which point and shoot to buy.i suggested him to choose between canon a 90 and panasonic zs 7 as i have been seeing good things about these two cam all around this site.pls help me suggesting him.
NiNiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2

Both are good cams but they serve 2 different sets of needs. The ZS7 will offer you HD video, a longer zoom and a GPS. The Canon S90 will give you better IQ and far better low-light performance.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3

i think he doesnt need long zoom that much.as he is interested in macro like me.is there any prob with the handling of s90?he currently owns a sony t900.iq is real bad
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:27 PM   #4

NiNika,

I own an S90 and it is a very nice camera, capable of wonderful pictures. There are a couple of things that some people complain about regarding ergonomics or how the camera feels -- specifically (1) it can be a little slippery because there is no grip, (2) there is a dial on the back for adjusting settings that rotates somewhat freely, so it is possible to accidentally change settings when you didn't realize it, and (3) the flash (a pop-up flash) is in a position where many people would naturally put their left index finger and people can tend to block it from popping up (but it's pretty strong, so it generally just pushes the finger out of the way).

How bothersome these things are, varies from person to person, but they don't bother me much. There are also third party vendors that have stepped in and you can buy a grip for the camera and a ring which is something of a solution to the free spinning dial issue (I purchased these recently, but haven't put them on the camera yet). The flash can be turned off and won't pop up if you aren't using it.

The one thing that may be an issue is that I believe the ZS7 may be better than the S90 for macro photos. The S90 macro is more of a close-up than what some people would call a real macro. It depends on how close one wants to get. I believe the focus range is 5-50 cm from the end of the lens at its widest. From the pictures I have seen people take on this forum, it seems that the ZS7 is capable of a closer range and, I believe also has a macro zoom function. (I'll let others speak to that).

The S90 is better in low light -- it has a larger image sensor and a f/2 lens at its widest. It also has the ability to shoot in Raw format, if that matters to your friend.

Last edited by Jazzer251; Jun 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 1:47 PM   #5

thanks Jazzer
the absence of grip will bother the most i guess.he will need the third party casing ur talking about.he has big hands.the pop up flash may also annoy a little but will not be a deal breaker,i guess.can u post me a link where i can see those grips??
i thought f/2 lens would be helpful to take brighter pics...of flowers,insects.now i can see it doesnt matter that much in macro.i,personally,like to take the pics keeping a very small distance from the subject.....like 3-5 cm or so,for a insect and like 7 cm for a flower.will the zs7 perform better??
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:35 PM   #6

This was done without a tripod and my hands were a little shaky it is far from the best example of the ZS7's macro modee. it should however give you an idea of the amount of detail it can capture. This was taken from probably 1 inch away.

Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:40 PM   #7

NiNiKa,

Here is a link to a blog with information about the grip for the S90.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-lo...anon-s90-grip/

As far as macro performance, I can't say that I have spent much time shooting macros with my S90, but based upon specifications alone, I believe you can get closer for macro photos using auto focus with the ZS7 (3 cm) than with the S90 (5cm) and the S90 does not have a digital macro zoom. Some people have suggested that the S90 takes great very close up shots, but that they do not consider it a true macro because of the 5 cm focus limit (I suppose it may be possible to use manual focus to get closer, but I've never tried this).

You mentioned the ZS7 and S90 in particular in your heading and post, but you also indicated that your friend has large hands and didn't mention whether having a pocket-sized camera is important. Since you suggested that he might like to get a DSLR but doesn't have the budget now, perhaps camera size is not as important. If that's the case, and the budget allows, maybe he could consider a slightly larger camera like the Canon G11 (it costs about $450 -- but there is no need to buy a grip). It is still very compact (would fit in a coat pocket rather than a shirt or pants pocket), has the same size image sensor as the S90, a little more zoom (5x), a small optical viewfinder and a swivel LCD screen (which could come in handy). It's lens is 2.8 at the wide end rather than f/2 like the S90, but it still does pretty well in low light, I believe. As far as macro, the specs indicate it can focus in macro mode down to .4 inch - 1.6 ft (1 cm - 50cm).

I believe Sarah Joyce may have a G11, so perhaps she may have a comment on its macro ability.

Another possibility if the G11 price is too high is to look at the Panasonic FZ35, which also has excellent macro ability (as well as an 18X zoom) and is a larger camera with an electronic view finder. It is priced closer to the ZS7 and has somewhat better low light ability, but not like the S90 or G11.

By the way, here is a link to some cropped macros taken with the ZS7 by LTZ470 (hopefully he won't mind my using his photos :-)). I'm not sure how much he cropped and whether he used the macro zoom, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering some questions if you have some.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...cro-crops.html

Hope all of this helps.

Last edited by Jazzer251; Jun 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:58 PM   #8

If he is going to photos in low light the s90 is the better option, but you loose the longer zoom. You will get better picture quality with the s90 especially in less then ideal light, with a usable 1600iso and f2 lens. It is very capable of taken good shots indoors and nightscapes. The zs is a good general purpose camera, but if the light falls off. It is not the great, but you get HD and a longer zoom range.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:02 AM   #9

thanks alot five0,jazzer and shoturtle.
i checked some of the custom grips and they looked nice.no actually when he asked me for a good camera,the models s 90 and zs7 came to my mind.he has no problem to get a bridge camera or g11 if it fits in his budget.
i actually dont know about the pic quality of g11,thats why i rely on s 90,as i saw some photos of that cam.but if g11 is better i will tell him to consider that.and the macro shot was really very nice.so i think the zs7 will also serve his purpose.i am not sure about the noise effect on the pics of zs7 in dim light.i also heard that panasonic cameras are more affected by noise than the canon ones.i just heard,never got a chance to verify.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNiKa View Post
i also heard that panasonic cameras are more affected by noise than the canon ones.i just heard,never got a chance to verify.
It's really more a matter of how each manufacturer chooses to deal with the noise. Canon's NR is very subtle imho. They remove the noise without making a mess of the photo like Sony. The ZS7 actually does a decent job of NR and you have the option of turning it down in PASM modes. At the end of the day though, all of these P&S cams with tiny sensors (Canon SX210, Panny ZS7, Sony HX5V) are still going to perform below par in low light.