Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbelk7777 View Post
Five-O

Since you have the Panasonic ZS7 and Sony HX5, which do you prefer for recording HD video?

Do you notice the image jurking while you're recording video with the ZS7, while zoomed in and tracking a moving object? I was watching a review of the ZS7 on youtube and they noted this issue. They said that it was due to the anit-blurring technology built into the camera.

Thanks
I have had no jerkiness with the ZS7 video at all. If you pan too fast during video, any camera/camcorder with an image stabilization system will be jerky.

The video is a little better on the Sony as it is 1080. However, there is severe wide angle distortion, the sound is terrible, IS is terrible (vertical movement like a ship on the ocean) and the camera sometimes blurs fast motion, water, etc. If you sit the HX5V on a tripod, zoom in a little to avoid the distortion, film where there is no wind, music or traffic and don't film anything distant, the result is excellent.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:36 AM   #12

Hello,

I am also choosing between HX5V and ZS7(TZ10).
On the youtube there is about 8 clips with direct comparisons "Sony_DSC_HX5v_vs_Panasonic_DMC_TZ10_ZS7_Video_Tes t_Part_X"
where X is 1 to 8.
i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9AWGAL33E

from these comparisons it looks like 1080i on sony has less details than 720p on panasonic.
and in general picture is less vibrant with washed out colours (ie. fountain water, trees like behind fog).
is it manipulation?
owners of both cams could judge these comparisons?
(but in shop everybody is saying that cmos sensor from Sony is better because DSLR have that kind of sensor)

except light streaks and a little loose of details in very bright areas I would say picture is better on Panasonic.

Last edited by klaus71; Jun 7, 2010 at 3:43 AM.
klaus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:03 AM   #13

The guy who posted those didn't alter (manipulate) the video but he didn't make any attempt to set either cam at the best setting for the situation either. He just stuck them in auto and prayed.

1080 is better than 720 so Sony wins there. Sound is 100x better on the Panasonic and the Panasonic handles fast motion 9and water) better. The colors on the Panasonic tend to be more vibrant. The video IS on the ZS7 is considerably better. Still, I prefer the video on the Sony because my TV does a poor job of upscaling 720p to 1080 - but the 1080 is the only area in which it is better (aside form the streaks).

Putting aside video, the ZS7 is a far better camera imho.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:16 AM   #14

@FiveO thanks for reply,
but except 1080i also video on ZS7 is better according to you?

additionally:
is there any solution for light streaks? (using some manual controls/settings?)
on some materials they are really attacking/demolishing picture.

Last edited by klaus71; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:22 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 5:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus71 View Post
@FiveO thanks for reply,
but except 1080i also video on ZS7 is better according to you?

additionally:
is there any solution for light streaks? (using some manual controls/settings?)
on some materials they are really attacking/demolishing picture.
The streaks are actually due to a limitation of the CCD sensor and are not a flaw with the camera. This is one of the main reasons why camcorders use CMOS sensors. There's a guy on dpreview who did some tests using a dual filter setup and had good results but of course that will likely affect exposure, etc. I spend almost all of my time shooting outdoors but I have managed to largely avoid the streaks as they appear clearly in the LCD.

FYI, the CMOS sensor on the HX5V (which is also on the Ricoh CX3 and a Casio camera) has difficulty with very bright light when shooting still photos.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:58 PM   #16

I had some time to compare HX5 and ZS7 in shop.
I was almost sure that I should buy ZS7.
but:
stabilisation of video on ZS7 when using zoom 10x (actually starting from 7x) is terrible comparing to sony, which is rock solid.
on ZS7 video is all the time jerky when zoom is over 7x.

any hints how to fix it? maybe I was using wrong mode of stabilisation?
what mode/option should I use to make it better?
the effect is similar I had on Panasonic GS-1 MiniDV camcorder, so maybe that is just problem with Panasonic poor stabilisation technology in area of video?

Last edited by klaus71; Jun 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:40 PM   #17

I use Auto stabilization on my ZS7. The Sony HX5V stabilization is just bad during video - at all focal lengths. Side-to-side motion is corrected by the video sort of vibrates due to poor correction of vertical motion. If you really want a camcorder, then buy a camcorder.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:39 PM   #18

maybe this would be solution, but camcorder for me should make pictures in 4Mpix resolution - then it costs probably 4 times more than zs7.

but the problem is that you says that ZS7 has better video stabilisation than hx5v.
and I saw something completely different:
- really bad jerky stabilisation on ZS7 with zoom set to 10x, with problem to gain correct focus (I tested camera from exposition so maybe it was damaged?)
- excellent stabilisation on sony, good focusing.

just opposite to your experience - so I am confused completely
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:08 PM   #19

I am confused also. There is an entire series of comparison video between these 2 specific cameras and every video shows the Sony having issues with focusing during video in everything but ideal light. I haven't personally used it in anything but ideal light so I can't comment on that. However, it is a poor idea to use 10x zoom on a regular basis anyway as the quality of the image degrades considerably at that range. On the Sony in particular, the image is terrible at full zoom.

As for the IS, the HX5V has a slight edge at full zoom for still photos. However, during video there is absolutely no comparison. There is continual vertical judder. Also, the zoom on the video is louder on the Sony as well and is quite audible in the recorded video. Pair that up with the horrible sound and your soundtrack isn't usable for much.

Neither of these cams will do anywhere near as well as a dedicated camcorder. They are meant for occasional video use - short, candid clips.

I really have no idea how can you can compare the video in the shop. What IS modes did you use? What size screen did you watch it on? If you're sold on the Sony already, then why are you here asking? The video resolution is better on the Sony and that's where the superiority ends imho. If I could put 1080 on the ZS7, everything would be about perfect.

Judge for yourself on the IS. Watch this video.

That was shot handheld. That also gives you an idea of just how incapable these cams are of shooting in low-light. It is true that dedicated camcorders do poorly in low-light also, but they can do much better than that. I don't know what your intended uses are though.

When you're done with that, check out this MP3 from the HX5V, recorded at the same time as the ZS7. The sound isn't normally that bad on the HX5V, but that is how it performs if you use it somewhere where there is loud music.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:42 PM   #20

I have ever saw some the Kodak series ,the price range from $200 to $225 , but I'm not sure they could fit your requirement.
cristina yang is offline   Reply With Quote