Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
However, it is a poor idea to use 10x zoom on a regular basis anyway as the quality of the image degrades considerably at that range. On the Sony in particular, the image is terrible at full zoom.

I really have no idea how can you can compare the video in the shop. What IS modes did you use? What size screen did you watch it on? If you're sold on the Sony already, then why are you here asking?
I did not have sony - I just nominated sony hx5v and tz7 as the final pair from which I choose the one.

Zoom 10x and checking video stabilisation then look like a good test for me - for video stabilisation quality. maybe you checked lower zoom 5x-6x then panasonic was quite good but at 10x it was very poor so I am disappointed.
maybe I used wrong mode - I think it was iA so maybe it is really question of settings but seller could not help me.

maybe you could tell me what should I choose to have best stabilistaion in video mode? - I will give another try to TZ7 in another shop.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaus71 View Post
Zoom 10x and checking video stabilisation then look like a good test for me - for video stabilisation quality. maybe you checked lower zoom 5x-6x then panasonic was quite good but at 10x it was very poor so I am disappointed.
maybe I used wrong mode - I think it was iA so maybe it is really question of settings but seller could not help me.
Last time I'll say it ... HX5V video IS sucks at all zoom levels. Why they didn't employ video IS as good as the still image IS is a mystery to me - but no more of a mystery than why they failed to employ barrel distortion correction in video like they did for still images. Sony also has the best IS on their dedicated consumer camcorders - but they didn't bring that to the HX5V.

I am not sure how useful it is to test the IS of either cam at full zoom since your video is going to look like crap at full zoom anyway. It may look fine on a 3" screen, but I can tell you that it doesn't look pretty on a 50" plasma.

Quote:
maybe you could tell me what should I choose to have best stabilistaion in video mode? - I will give another try to TZ7 in another shop.
iA probably uses auto so I don't think it's getting any better.

Again ... why did you come here asking for feedback if you already made your decision after 5 minutes with each camera in the store? I own both cams and am telling you flat out what I have learned in 2 months of ownership. If you had different results, then get the Sony but remember that I tried to inform you.

I will upload one HX5V sample now and then that will be the last I will say on this subject.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeCyCMZOBhg

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:52 PM   #23

I do not undestand you. When I made a decision? I am still choosing.
After comments on this forum I was almost sure Lumix is my choice but now - I do not know.
And in shop I spent 2hours, and took recordings home.
By the way - comparing stabilisation in video takes just a few minutes - just to have general conclusion.
So maybe the problem is with European version of Lumix? It uses 720p25 instead 720p30 - maybe here is the clue. I am from Europe.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:27 PM   #24

Quote:
I do not undestand you. When I made a decision? I am still choosing.
After comments on this forum I was almost sure Lumix is my choice but now - I do not know.
And in shop I spent 2hours, and took recordings home.
By the way - comparing stabilisation in video takes just a few minutes - just to have general conclusion.
So maybe the problem is with European version of Lumix? It uses 720p25 instead 720p30 - maybe here is the clue. I am from Europe.
I gave you samples of each. I have no idea why you had such problems with the Panasonic and I don't know how you could expect me to explain it. It has nothing to do with frame rate though. You have your data so good luck to you.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:49 AM   #25

I find ridicolous that we all are thinking of determine the video quality performance of a camera looking at youtube.

Quality? Youtube?

I too was near to buy the Panny basing my choiche on youtube videos, but luckily i download some uncompressed avchd video files from vimeo, and buy the Sony.

The best advantage Sony Vs. Panny, apart from 1920x1080, is the 60fps, and no one speak never of this, and no one can see it on youtube.
But if you see it, you can understand the difference between a smooth video and a jerky one.

And for the stabilisation, take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxuS-...layer_embedded

It is certainly more significative that a shot indoor under unknown conditions.
Any review says that the Sony HX5 has the best video image stabilisation of any pocket travel zoom so far; this is the first time that i read the opposite.
viganet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by viganet View Post
I find ridicolous that we all are thinking of determine the video quality performance of a camera looking at youtube.

Quality? Youtube?

I too was near to buy the Panny basing my choiche on youtube videos, but luckily i download some uncompressed avchd video files from vimeo, and buy the Sony.

The best advantage Sony Vs. Panny, apart from 1920x1080, is the 60fps, and no one speak never of this, and no one can see it on youtube.
But if you see it, you can understand the difference between a smooth video and a jerky one.

And for the stabilisation, take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxuS-...layer_embedded

It is certainly more significative that a shot indoor under unknown conditions.
Any review says that the Sony HX5 has the best video image stabilisation of any pocket travel zoom so far; this is the first time that i read the opposite.
My YouTub link was used to demonstrate the problem with Active Stabilization, not the quality of the video. You make a post stating that YouTube is useless to compare videos and then you post a link to YouTube to demonstrate stabilization. LOL You do see the hole in your own argument don't you? The problem is that when watching random YouTube videos posted by an unknown person, you don't know what, if anything, they have done to the video. I'd love to see the pro review that states "that the Sony HX5 has the best video image stabilisation of any pocket travel zoom so far" as well. No personal blogs or foreign sites please. DCR, IR, PB, etc.

No one disagrees on 1920 vs 1080. The Sony video is better in that regard. However, it lacks contrast, doesn't handle fast motion well and no, the stabilization is not great. You also seem to misunderstand the definitions of 60i and 30p. I am not going to go into the technical aspects as you can do that yourself using Google, but you should definitely read up on it. In short, you are capturing half a frame 60 times a second (60i), or a whole frame 30 times a second (30p).
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:08 AM   #27

In this thread and in million others around the net, most of us take the youtube video comparation to determine the video quality of the cams; i'm not referring to your posts in particular.
The Panny Vs. Sony video for example is the worst one, because downgrade the superior Sony capacity ([email protected]) at the lower standard of the Panny ([email protected]) and noone can see any differents, that are relevants!

I do not misunderstand nothing; i'm a video technician and i claim that 60fps interlaced is superior to 30fps progressive on the smothness aspect (obviously 60fps pgrogressive would be even better), at least if you have a capable hardware to deinterlace it, but here we're discuss about cam video performace and not about the capacity of video players.

I dowloaded some uncompressed avchd video from vimeo and played with a simply ps3 on my home theater set and i'm suggesting to do the same for anyone that want to have a seriuos idea of the real capacity of o videocam, otherwise you run the risk of making a wrong purchase as I was about to do purchasing Panny instead of Sony.

In this moment i have no time to research all the reviews that reports the optimum image stabilisation capacity of the Sony, but i've read almost all of them and all are agree on this point.

Why do not you show us a review that say the opposite, apart of your legitimate but subjective opinions?

Last edited by viganet; Jun 27, 2010 at 4:11 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:20 AM   #28

First, I have already previously stated that I prefer the actual video on the HX5V over the ZS7 so I don't know who you are debating with on that point as I am the only one here. Just because I prefer it though, does not mean I have developed "buyer justification syndrome" like so many others. The sound is terrible - not even remotely usable imho. Forget about using it at a concert as the sound is then literally unusable. For whatever reason, certain things like waterfalls aren't handled well. I suspect it's NR but I am not a video tech and thus I am only guessing. You can see this problem documented in the infamous HX5V vs. ZS7 comparison video set. Then there's the severe barrel distortion at the wide end of the HX5V's video. Or the terrible mic placement. Or the mediocre lens that is complete garbage in the upper zoom ranges. Or the excessive NR. Or the barrel distorted, low resolution panoramas.

On the contrast issue, all you need to do to see the lack of contrast is watch any video made using the HX5V. I own one and I use it for video all the time. It looks very good but the lack of contrast makes it pale in comparison to my Canon and Panasonic camcorders. let's not get into the "you can correct in post" dicussion because that can be said for every cam in some area or another and really has no place in a P&S other than occasional or very specific circumstances.

The Active Stabilization is the problem I have with the HX5V - but I said that already. Check my sample video for the judder effect that results from using it. I never said that any review made a comment about it either way. You are the one who made such claims about the HX5V. Actually I find that reviews for still cameras devote very little time to video. Surely that will change in the future as video becomes a higher priority. FYI, I think Sony does have the best video stabilization in the industry right now. I simply don't think it is well executed within this particular camera.

If you want an HX5V so badly, I'll gladly sell you mine. I think the 1080i is the only thing it's good for. If I wanted a camera with this sensor for video and slightly improved low light, I'd probably get the Canon SD-4000 or the Samsung instead.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The Active Stabilization is the problem I have with the HX5V - but I said that already.
Have you considered that it can be a problem of a defective exemplar?
With maximun respect, it seems to be suspect that your opinion in this particular aspect is so opposite from the others all.

On sound problem (and wind noise too!) and barrel distorction i agree with you, but imho are togheter a minor issue if compared to the overall outstanding video quality, also because i think you are a bit exaggerating the real problems.
The sound issue for example is a real problem only in a very loud arena (and can be simply solved with a zero cost foam shield), and barrel distorction influence seriously only architeture shots.
Two problems that togheter occurs in 1% of normal shots, apart if you are a concertman or an architet of course
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:35 PM   #30

If you ask over at dpreview, you will find many more people returned their HX5V than kept it. To each his/her own though. Some people are surely happy with their purchase.