Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:44 PM   #11

If euros

http://www.amazon.de/Pentax-SLR-Digi...5522213&sr=8-5
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:28 PM   #12

The Sony A230 is a nice camera. It lacks the 'Live View' that the Pentax has, but that's not very useful on a dSLR anyway. And if you want the 'Live View', you can get it with an articulating LCD Display with the A330. For close-up photography, you'll want sensor shift image stabilization in the camera body (Pentax & Sony) instead of optical image stabilization in the lens (Canon & Nikon), and Sony has a larger selection of macro lenses, new and used, than Pentax does.

There are other reasons you might want to get a Pentax instead of a Sony, but you haven't mentioned any so far.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:22 PM   #13

I shoot with the Sony A-230. For me it is a fun camera and the image quality is very pleasing. Here is a A-230 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:30 PM   #14

to compare with the pentax with a long zoom

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:40 AM   #15

@shoturtle I was talking about 500 dollars, however I might change my mind :P

Well thanks a lot for the suggestions guys Like I said I've done my homework, learned a bit about dSLR's and I'm going to take a closer look at the pentax and sony cameras mentioned.

Thanks for all the help again
alexvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:45 AM   #16

What kind of things do you like to photograph? It will help to narrow down which is the best system for you.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:15 AM   #17

well like i said before, since I'm beginner I'm not really sure. Just my environment, anything I find interesting really. Buildings, landscapes, sunset/sunrise shots. I want something that will do good in low light and that can focus properly on small things (for close ups) That's my main criteria hope this helps
alexvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:27 AM   #18

The pentax k-x is one of the best entry and even mid level low light camera out there. It is actually less noisy then my canon 500D. It will out perform both the A230 and A330 in low light. The AF system on the K-x has gotten better then pervious pentax. It can keep close to the canon in auto focus speed and accuracy. In then mid and entry level dslr, canon has the best, follow by the k-x currently. It focus better the the nikon d5000.

But any of the cameras mention will shoot landscape and buildings well in good lighting. But if you are planning to shoot in low light, you want a camera that shoots well at 3200iso. And that is something the sony's mention are not as good in, you will have to move up to the A500 or A550 for low light.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html

close up shooting is all about getting a good macro lens. The kit lenses 18-55mm on any of the camera will not shoot as well as a true macro lens. But they have marco setting that will do well at 1:3 or 1:4.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:32 AM   #19

i'm pretty much in the same positions as you and i just stumped up for a canon 1000d with 18-55mm IS lens for 370... that may just fall into your budget I think and from what I can gather it's a good starter camera (well i hope so anyway)

if i had more money to play with I may have gone for a Nikon D5000, a Canon 450D or the Pentax K-x that everyone is talking about, but I needed the extra budget to buy a bigger lens so I went for a cheaper body. Plus my husband has a canon so in the future it would be nice if we could joint purchase lenses that we could share, plus he can help me get to grips with my camera!
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:36 AM   #20

FYI - the cheapest Pentqax K-x i could find with lens was 430/$630 so a bit out of your budget
it was from camerabox.co.uk which I've heard very mixed reviews about - i took a chance with them and purchased my camera they supposedly had 7 of in stock and I've already had a call saying there may be a delay with my order as there are stock issues.
Really hoping I don't regret this!
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote