Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:32 PM   #1

Default Which DSLR?!

Hey guys,
I'm sure this has to be the millionth time someone asks this question, so I apologize for that. So I've decided to get a DSLR camera, which would make it my first DSLR ever, hence I'm looking for some help deciding.

I'm looking for something to fit a beginner in photography but that would last for when/if I get better, so beginner/intermediate. Also I'm looking to keep it in the $500ish range.

Basically, what will give me the most bang for the buck? So any suggestions that fit the money range/quality of camera will be appreciated

Thanks for the help,

Alex
alexvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:50 PM   #2

There are a number of very good dSLRs in yur price range, any of which will run rings around a P&S, with the apporpirate lens and with appropriate skills on your part. What distinguishes one from another is the different things that the cameras, and often, the available lenses are capable of. Without knowing what subjects you want to shoot, it's hard to match you to the best dSLR system for you.

Can you go into any detail about what you'd like to photograph?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:59 PM   #3

alexvasile-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted you dropped by.

It sounds like the budget is firm at $500.00. Can you now share with us the kind of photos that you like to take, as well as, what area of P+S shoot you feel let you down??

Some folks consider DSLR to get better image quality, to shoot better photos in low light level conditions, and the like. Know that if formation, we can better match you with the right DSLR camera.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:24 PM   #4

thanks for the warm welcome

well since I'm a beginner, I don't really have a certain thing in mind that I'd like to photograph, just general photography.

If it helps, I like playing with light in my pictures, that is I often take pictures with the sun, sunset/sunrise and so on. Hence how the light comes out is important to me. Generally I take photos of my environment, that is, nature, buildings, whatever I see around. So really the only thing I'd say is really important is the light, I also like to take close ups if that helps.

As for why I want a DSLR, well the quality really and more flexibility when taking photos, that is, you can do more things than with your regular camera.

Also, just to clarify, when I said $500, I was taking in consideration both the body and the lens.

If you need more info let me know and thanks for the help again
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:18 PM   #5

Pentax k-x with one lens, 524 dollars. Hands down the best entry level dslr on the market.

Add to cart to get the price.

http://www.adorama.com/IPXKXNK1.html
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:39 PM   #6

I've done some homework, just to understand how things work

and that pentax is really nice, however I live in belgium, its way more expensive than that here
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

I know, I live in Germany also. Things are very expensive there too. But pentax is less then the nikon, sony and canon with the same feature. I shoot a canon 500D and a K-x and I am very impress by the k-x. And it is a very very good camera. It was award TIPA best entry level dslr for 2010.

I have seen it in Germany for about 530 euros.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:04 PM   #8

alexvasile-

Thanks for your reply. The desire for better image quality id one of the largest reasons, camera users move from a P+S camera to a DSLR camera.

Please give us an idea regarding DSLR pricing in Belgium. What is the price of a Canon XS, or a Sony A-230??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:30 PM   #9

well I can't give you exact values at the moment since belgium has no online shops where I could check. However prices in europe are about the same, I usually shop from amazon.co.uk

That being said, on amazon uk, the price for the sony A-230 is abt 470USD now (on sale) 760USD when not on sale. Couldn't find the canon XS. However the pentax mentioned earlier is about 725USD.

Some other prices:
Nikon D90, no lenses - 925USD
Nikon D3000 - 490USD
Canon 550D - 1020USD

Hope that gives you an idea Let me know if you need any other info
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:42 PM   #10

Are we talking about keep the price around 500 euros or 500 dollars?