Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Default Battery concern

I would like to get an ultra zoom. I usually carry several cameras (3D photography, etc). BIG CONCERN is battery availability. I tend to favor the cameras that use AA batteries because they are so available. I fear that companies are starting to abandon AA batteries for their own.

I was going to get the Canon SX20IS, but as of June 2010 it is a discontinued model with no real ultra zoom replacement. I liked all of its features.

What recommendations do people have? AA vs other batteries? Buy a discontinued model? A different ultra zoom with AA?
(Serious amateur -- like macro, HD movie, zoom, price is a factor, etc. )
lwduet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2

I wouldn't regard it as a big issue. Some cameras use Lithium-ion battery packs, some use AAs. Last time I looked, most Fujifilm cameras still used AA cells.

A quick Google confirms the new HS10 uses four AA cells.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
I wouldn't regard it as a big issue. Some cameras use Lithium-ion battery packs, some use AAs. Last time I looked, most Fujifilm cameras still used AA cells.

A quick Google confirms the new HS10 uses four AA cells.
Aside from being able to be found anywhere in a pinch, I'm not a big fan of AA's. I've owned several cameras that used AA's, and have never been happy with performance. They also take up more space. I've found that proprietary batteries generally perform better, and despite their higher initial cost, last longer and take up less space. They also allow form smaller, easier to carry cameras. And despite warnings of limited lifetimes of lithiums, I've been using several for more than 3 years in my DSLR's with no real loss in capacity.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
Aside from being able to be found anywhere in a pinch, I'm not a big fan of AA's. I've owned several cameras that used AA's, and have never been happy with performance. They also take up more space. I've found that proprietary batteries generally perform better, and despite their higher initial cost, last longer and take up less space. They also allow form smaller, easier to carry cameras. And despite warnings of limited lifetimes of lithiums, I've been using several for more than 3 years in my DSLR's with no real loss in capacity.
There is no doubt the Lithium-ion batteries give more energy for a given
size of battery. However, as you say, AAs are bigger which tends to
offset the difference. More than 2000mA/h at ~4.8V compares well with
a typical proprietary battery pack. My old Fujifilm S5600 had the
best battery life of any camera I have ever used. It did many hundreds
of shots per charge using four 2500mA/h Ni-MH cells. Newer cameras
with bigger, brighter LCD displays and very fast processors might
not fare as well.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:23 PM   #5

I used a pentax k-x dslr with AA batteries, and have had no issue. With non rechargeable lithium and limit flash uses, I get about 1100 photos. With sanyo eneloop low discharge rechargeable Nimh, I get about 700 shot, a bit more the my T1i with lithium rechargeable packs. So if you get good rechargeable, there is no really issue.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:20 PM   #6

I haven't owned a camera that uses standard batteries for about 5 years now. It's not like the old days where you often needed 15 batteries just to shot for a day. I don't even own a spare pack yet for my HX5V or ZS7 and I have yet to run out of juice (though the HX5V was down to 1 bar after the aquarium). A few spares packs will do and think of the bright side - they're a lot lighter than AAs.