Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1
lur

Default Kodak Z981 or Fuji HS10

I have a Kodak Z612 that I was happy with for the most part, but it's starting to crap out on me so it's time to move on.

I love zoom so I can take pictures of my unsuspecting kids from a distance. I have another little camera I take along for most point and shoot shots, this is the camera that I take if I want to play around and get a portrait shot as opposed to just a picture.

I also want to be able to blow them up to a decent size to fill up the blank walls in my house.

I know a little about camera, but definitely need to learn more about apertures/shutter speeds, etc, which is why I decided to stick with a point and shoot instead of going to a DSLR.

I was ready to go buy the Kodak until I came across comments about the HS10 while reading reviews.
lur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2

If you are willing to take the time to learn the HS-10, I can heartily recommend it. If you want instant gratification, move on to something else.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

lur-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Your answer from gjtoth says it all. The Fuji HS-10 is a very good camera. However it does indeed take some photo experience to get the really great images that the HS-10 is capable of producing. The HS-10 is much more than a basic point and shoot camera.

On the other hand, the Kodak Z-981 offers nearly as much zoom (26X versus 30X on the Fuji) and it indeed is an easy to use point and shoot camera that performs very well. Costco has the Kodak Z-981 at $250.00 on sale and Amazon has it for just a bit more. I have attached a Z-981 photo sample for you from my Z-981.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:05 PM   #4
lur

Thanks for the comments! For the HS10, will I need a Fine Arts Degree in Photography to take a decent picture? Or if I spend some time reading and playing with it I'll be good to go and get better with time?

I'm all about playing with settings to see what happens, even if I know what I'm doing or not.

Or does the Kodak have enough settings to keep me learning the basics for the next couple years and by then there might be something even better than the HS10? As long as I can enlarge pictures to a 30X40 size with very good quality and zoom in lots, I'm happy.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lur View Post
Thanks for the comments! For the HS10, will I need a Fine Arts Degree in Photography to take a decent picture? Or if I spend some time reading and playing with it I'll be good to go and get better with time?

I'm all about playing with settings to see what happens, even if I know what I'm doing or not.

Or does the Kodak have enough settings to keep me learning the basics for the next couple years and by then there might be something even better than the HS10? As long as I can enlarge pictures to a 30X40 size with very good quality and zoom in lots, I'm happy.
While the Kodak is a nice piece of kit, I'm of the opinion that the HS-10 is better. If you're "all about playing... " and are PATIENT in the process, then, the HS-10 will astound you and make you look like a pro. It can't work miracles if you're not willing to take the time to learn composition, settings, lighting, etc. But, it will sure come close.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:50 PM   #6

lur-

Gary's answer is a good one. The HS-10 will produce better image quality as long as you are willing to work with it. The Kodak Z-981 will work well for those that that do not want to learn basic photography, and just want to point, shoot, and get the photo without any further thought or camera adjustment.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:08 PM   #7

Sorry to put a spanner in the works but i would be careful before buying the hs10.I'm afraid image quality issues are starting to surface with this camera and i have had personal experience with these problems.If i were you(and especially if you do intend to purchase this camera) i would wait a while longer and keep an eye on future reviews,especially those done by professionals.My advice would be to take a serious look at an entry level dslr.Firstly,these cameras have plenty of point and shoot options that are easy for the less experienced to use and secondly,image quality is much better.Another plus point is that when you have outgrown the point and shoot facilities,you have all the advanced features to get to grips with.The fact is,you cannot beat the image quality of a dslr with a bridge camera.....no matter how good it is.
NAUTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUTI View Post
Sorry to put a spanner in the works but i would be careful before buying the hs10.I'm afraid image quality issues are starting to surface with this camera and i have had personal experience with these problems.If i were you(and especially if you do intend to purchase this camera) i would wait a while longer and keep an eye on future reviews,especially those done by professionals.My advice would be to take a serious look at an entry level dslr.Firstly,these cameras have plenty of point and shoot options that are easy for the less experienced to use and secondly,image quality is much better.Another plus point is that when you have outgrown the point and shoot facilities,you have all the advanced features to get to grips with.The fact is,you cannot beat the image quality of a dslr with a bridge camera.....no matter how good it is.
Not bad for a first post... considering you show no examples of your bad IQ. As I stated before, If you're "all about playing... " and are PATIENT in the process, then, the HS-10 will astound you and make you look like a pro. It can't work miracles if you're not willing to take the time to learn composition, settings, lighting, etc. If you are into instant gratification, move on. I concur with your statement regarding DSLR IQ. However, there are those that would gratefully sacrifice a little for the convenience, instead of being a pack mule and hauling all that "stuff" around. Note: I own an Olympus E-620 and the "stuff" to go with it. So, I know what I'm talking about. You're comparing apples & oranges. The HS10 has been out for a little over a month. No one - you, me, or anyone - has had time to truly put it through it's paces. Aside from all this: the OP specifically stated he desired to stay away from DSLR.
My Gallery

--

Last edited by gjtoth; Jun 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:52 PM   #9
lur

So, to summarize, the image quality will be better in the HS10 than in the Z981, although it may not be as good as if I went to an SLR? Is there something comparable to the HS10 that's any better as a bridge between the point and shoot and an SLR?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:59 PM   #10

lur-

If you are experienced enough to consider a DSLR type camera, DSLR's are now at an all time low in terms of price. An you will probably be more than pleased with the image quality.

Sarah Joyce