Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:16 PM   #1

Default Keep old or get new camera?

I just went to a local camera store planning to see and most likely buy the Panasonic fz35. I currently am using a Canon Powershot S2 IS (5 mp, 12X). No problems with my Canon. This store did not carry the fz35. The salesman asked a lot of questions regarding my camera uses, needs and wants. I shoot mainly in AUTO mode but occas play with other settings. A mix of indoor and outdoor photos. I definitely use the zoom. I like to print 8x10 or 11x14, never 5x7 or smaller. The camera salesman said if he were me he would continue using my Canon - that I will not get better prints with the fz35 or any other similar camera, unless I went DSLR which I am not going that route. We are going to China this fall and I want the best photos I can get. Was he correct? Would I end up with the same quality photos and prints with my Canon as with a newer camera ie fz35?

Thanx, I have found these forums so informative. I look forward everyday coming home and looking at the new postings.

betty
gammagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:37 PM   #2

gammagal-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The Panasonic FZ-35 is a good super zoom camera. However, a DSLR camera will have somewhat better image quality and the ability to us higher ISO settings without showing as much noise as the FZ-35 just due to its much larger imager.

In short, you have to make the decision about whether you want to take on a DSLR learning curve. If you fo go to a DSLR camera, I would seriously advise that you not use the Automatic Mode, but rather the "P" or Programmed Auto Mode which works just like the full automatic mode, but gives you far more control of your camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:25 AM   #3

You will get a bit better image quality with the FZ35 over the s2, not sure how much better though. But I would look at some of the fz35 photos in the panasonic/leica forum on steve's. If the results are to you liking and seems better then the S2. It may be worth upgrading.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagal View Post
The camera salesman said if he were me he would continue using my Canon - that I will not get better prints with the fz35 or any other similar camera, unless I went DSLR which I am not going that route. We are going to China this fall and I want the best photos I can get. Was he correct? Would I end up with the same quality photos and prints with my Canon as with a newer camera ie fz35?
Both cameras are reviewed on Steve's Digicams. Looking at the sample photos from the S2, it would be hard to disagree with the salesman. The FZ35 is a great camera, but I don't think it will be a big improvement over the S2. The FZ35 would give you a bit more zoom and a few more Mp, although I would never buy a camera based solely on the number of pixels it has. The FZ35 does very high quality 1280x720 video if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Last edited by corkpix; Jun 4, 2010 at 5:35 AM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:33 AM   #5

Oops! how rude of me to forget. Welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie and long time lurker.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagal View Post
...The camera salesman said if he were me he would continue using my Canon - that I will not get better prints with the fz35 or any other similar camera, unless I went DSLR which I am not going that route. We are going to China this fall and I want the best photos I can get. Was he correct? Would I end up with the same quality photos and prints with my Canon as with a newer camera ie fz35? ...
First of all, the salesman has absolutely no incentive in promoting the FZ35 (which is the camera you are looking for) because they don't carry it. So, since he is not going to tell you to shop online, he's telling you this sad story.

The S2 was a great camera (and I'm sure yours probably still produces nice images). But, it's outdated. The FZ35 has many upgrades over the S2, including better IQ. You will certainly benefit from the higher number of megapixels, specially considering the print size you're interest in doing. Certainly a DSLR will give you some extras but you are not taking that route, so I think you will have room to grow by upgrading to the FZ35.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote