Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2010, 4:25 AM   #11

G11 is going to way too large for the purse I'd imagine and out of your proposed budget. The Canon S90 and Panasonic LX3 are both excellent and would fit in your purse, but they are also out of your proposed budget. The Panasonic ZS5 is a nice cam (I have the ZS7) and it takes good pics for its class, though it won't compare to the S90/LX3. The ZS5 however does have a longer zoom and the S90 does not do HD video. I'm not a fan of Nikon's P&S cameras due to mediocre IQ. For example, Photography Blog wrote about the S8000:

Quote:
Image quality is only above average, with the 14 megapixel sensor delivering acceptable results in terms of noise from ISO 100-400, although it becomes all too apparent at ISO 800, with the faster settings of 1600 and especially 3200 not really worth using. Chromatic aberrations are also visible in high contrast images and pictures are soft straight out of the camera with no ability to sharpen them.
They also note a lack of zoom in movie mode.

If you can narrow down the budget a little more and the type of IQ you are seeking, it will make the hunt easier. I didn't want to jump up and recommend the Panasonic ZS7 or Ricoh CX3 if you only want to spend $200 or conversely, you are looking for a camera to make nice large prints. (the tiny sensor cams are really only suited to 8x10 or smaller; smaller for many of the lower end P&S cams)

Last edited by FiveO; Jun 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:52 AM   #12

Clemma-

The Canon SX-120 is a good camera and it will fit in your purse nicely. I carry my SX-120 in my purse all the time. The Sx-120 does not have a wide angle position in its zoom range, but it can easily shoot at higher ISO settings, such as ISO 800.

The built-in flash unit is deployed manually and the SX-120 has good image quality. And best of all the SX-120 is within your budget.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:52 AM   #13

Well my budget would be $300 or less, so the zs6 certainly makes it in there. So does the Canon sx120.

Would you say those are the contenders? I see other Lumix models mentioned as well on these forums.

So Canon is larger but better in low light, good at video and the Lumix is smaller, not as good low light, also good at video?

Image quality comparable? Both good macros?

I think we're winnowing it down... ;-) Guess a lot of people go through that here! You guys are therapists to the camera-selecting impaired. hehe
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:10 AM   #14

No, the SX120 does not do HD video at all.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:12 AM   #15

OH! So does video but not HD video.
I assume HD video is preferable?

I also wonder what the SX120 weighs. Have held the 110, but this has a longer zoom.

SO many considerations, no wonder we all have so many questions (you guys are patient!)
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:23 AM   #16

Clemma-

The weight of the Canon SX-120 is the same as the weight of the SX-110. The Sx-120 does standard video, not HD video. The Sx-120 will be slightly better in low light than the Panasonic ZS6.

Both cameras have good macros and the image quality between the two cameras is very comparable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemma View Post
OH! So does video but not HD video.
I assume HD video is preferable?
Well that's your choice. I personally won't even use SD video after years of being spoiled by HD video. TVs are all HD now and have been for years and many of them (including mine) don't upscale well.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:56 PM   #18

Clemma-

If preserving the budget means the SX-120 is a better choice, even though it has standard video and lacks a real wide angle, that is OK too.Perhaps it is better not to over spend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:48 PM   #19

Speaking of video, if you shoot something and want to put it on youtube, does the type of video make it easier or harder or have nothing to do with it?

Also, just saw Costco has the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20K on sale. I am not sure I saw it-- it might be the one that was a little too small for me to hold well (or it could have been in a box so I couldn't really tell that). Any thoughts on that one?

You guys are so patient! ;-)
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 PM   #20

There is a site called "Camera Labs", there are tons of review about the latest digital cameras, perhaps that might help you.
lllwww is offline   Reply With Quote