Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:46 AM   #1

Default Suggestions for point and shoot camera, please!

Hello! I'm brand new here so hope I'm not asking *too* many obvious questions...

I'll admit I'm not up to speed, as it were, on new digicams. Would you believe I have a Nikon Coolpix 775 and haven't shopped for a camera since (ten years old!)?

I haven't done any heavy duty shooting since my Nikon n80 days (film), which I purchased just before digicams really came in. Darn! I was a pretty good photographer, but have forgotten a lot about settings and such.

My immediate need is for photographing details of little tiny flowers! Obviously my Coolpix 775 can't do the job. Need a good macro.

Also, I don't want a teeny camera that I can't hold comfortably. Don't need a subcompact and how do you hold one with fingertips, anyway? But the camera does have to fit in my purse.

Obviously I require a good macro and lens; I'd really like to find good low light ability, not too long shutter lag, and at least a 3 or 4x zoom, maybe 5x or more. Don't care much about wide angle shooting.

Have never shot a video in my life but want the ability to occasionally do so with some ease.

Oh, and please not too many complex menus and anti-intuitive controls! Simple is good, with some flexibility.

I'm sure Canon, Nikon and Panasonic all have good cameras but could use some recommendations. I figure on spending, what, $170-$300?

Also, with the Canon models, can someone explain what powershot refers to-- aren't some more professional and some are more sleek and stylish? (I really don't care about being stylish.)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Clemma; Jun 4, 2010 at 5:52 AM. Reason: typos
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:05 AM   #2

How big is your purse? There's quite a jump in size from say a ZS7 to an FZ35.

btw, it will very likely be $300+ if you want good low-light ability.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:34 AM   #3

Clemma-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Please understand that lots of technical advances have come along since your Nikon 775 was purchased. Generally speaking, in low light situations, that is the time to use the camera's built-in flash unit. With the exception of the Canon G-11 and the S-90 cameras which have a measurably larger imagers, P+S cameras are not famous for the low light shooting capabilities.

If you could be more specific about what you shoot, other than small flower macro shots, we can better make a good camera suggestion. I have attached a macro example for you that was taken with an inexpensive, Kodak Z-1015 that captured a great amount os small fine detail.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:28 PM   #4

Five-O, I have held an ZS6, but not the 35 you mention... I assume that is larger?

I also shoot little porcelain handmade figurines. Some are half an inch long. So the macro will get a workout with me. In fact, I originally wondered if a p&shoot camera would take pictures with such detail.

Someone mentioned to me the Canon S8000 is good with macro lense...? I have yet to hold one but they look small.

Hard to explain my purse...lol! I would say the very largest would want to go is the Canon sx110. A friend had one and it fit in her purse, but was on the edge of getting not so much fun to carry around.

Last edited by Clemma; Jun 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM. Reason: wrong model number
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:34 PM   #5

Mt.Climber,
I see the photo of the Pentax but not what you shot with it.

Low light... well, not essential I guess but sometimes I photo the little ceramic items at night or evening. If the flash goes off I'm through... sometimes I get a good shot. My indoor lighting is not wonderful for capturing them and generally I do better outside. Have to look for nice open shade and shoot early.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:37 PM   #6

I have the Panasonic ZS3 and it is astounding with macros.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 7:43 PM   #7

Clemma-

I am delighted that you liked my wonderful, finely detailed attached photo. It was taken with a $142.00 Kodak Z-1015 that I purchased on E-Bay. It has both a great Macro mode and a Super Mode that might work especially well with your very small figurines.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:46 PM   #8

I am trying to read reviews of some of these cameras and finding very few here. Am I doing something wrong? I've clicked on reviews and then put in the name of the camera for a search. Or, clicked on the brand. Either way not finding many reviews.

?

Thank you.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:30 AM   #9

Clemma-

Just go to www.google.com and enter the camera model name followed by the word review and you will receive many direct links.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 6, 2010, 3:46 AM   #10

Thanks. Finally found my subject! I lost if for a while. yipers!

Saw a Canon sx 120 today ( a tad large even for my purse I think), a Nikon s8000 (looks to be nice camera but may be a little hard to hold since I have long fingers), a Nikon L110 (WAY too big fo r my purse!), a Canon Powershot a3100-- not bad but a little small in size, but good macro!, And three Lumixes (Lumixi?): Zs5, fp2h and fh22. Am I wrong thinking a touch screen will wear out on the fh22? I know they do with book readers.

Any input on those not too big for my purse??

I was reading about the G11 which i did not see. Any thoughts?

Best Buy was mobbed! I thought there was a recession on... ?