Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Canon SD940 or Lumix ZR1, ZR3

I currently have a Canon SD550 which is several years old. It works well and takes fine photos. The SD940 really appeals to me because of the size of the camera and the wider angle lens. Then I started reading about other cameras and thought about some other things I'd like to have. The lumix ZR1 and ZR3 are appealing because of the longer optical zoom and the ability to zoom while shooting video. I can't actually see either of the Panasonics locally because no one sells them.

I'm wondering about the size of the ZRs vs the SD940. I know it's dimensions are a little larger but pocketability is also a matter of how it's designed. If the ZRs are comparable to my sd550 than it's too thick really for a pocket.

So I'm weighing true pocketability vs optical zoom and video zoom. Any thoughts from people who have seen/used both?

Although I'd like to get something sooner I'm looking at getting one for a trip to Yosemite in early fall. If there's something new coming up that would easily meet all my criteria this summer I can certainly wait.

If I choose one of the ZRs of course then there's the ZR1 vs ZR3.

Thanks for your help.
amy55407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2

amy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I believe that the ZR-1 is indeed smaller and thinner than the canon SD-940. I have attached a photo to show you the size and the thickness is 5/8".

I won the ZR1 and have been very please with the price and performance.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 9:09 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah. If it's actually smaller than it's a no brainer for me. I think the specs say the ZR1/ZR3 just over an inch in width but maybe that's at the grip which is a little bigger.

From what I've been reading the ZR1 may actually be more preferable than the ZR3. I might need to snap one up now since they're not being made any longer.
amy55407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:43 AM   #4

The ZR1 is a very good camera, amy-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote